2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: eslatts' Fish Tank Room Build + Display Tank  (Read 8415 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: eslatts' Fish Tank Room Build + Display Tank
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2019, 08:34:00 »
NICE!

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 22:56:15 »
Long overdue for an update!!

Extruded aluminum stand from framing tech came in and put together - top & bottom boards mounted.

Orphek Atlantiks hung using retractable grow light hanger and RMS ecotech rails with custom fabricated angle iron piece.

Created a replica tank back and roughed in the plumbing!

-Slatts

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2020, 17:47:09 »
That’s some nice looking plumbing and I’m digging the stand.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2020, 22:52:52 »
Looking really good! I’m excited to see it all together and it’s not even my tank lol.... after seeing your stand, I started scavenging 80/20 for a stand for my new tank lol. I just need a couple 4ft pieces.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2020, 20:21:58 »
Very nice

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2020, 18:10:39 »
Thanks guys! Yeah, 80/20 seems to be pretty affordable for a nice sturdy stand.

With the help of friends and family, finally got the tank moved into place Sunday morning! We first wheeled it on dollies across the yard on 4'x8' sheets of OSB to the back basement window. I made a 2'x4' piece of wood wrapped with carpet and placed it on the window sill so we could slide the tank on it. To fit it through the window we had to rotate it onto its back. We first tried to carry the tank through the window but then quickly realized the transition of weight once we pull it off the window sill would have been to much all at once. So we pulled the stand over to the window and placed dollies on the stand top. Once the tank was more than halfway through the window we set it onto the dolly and rolled it to the end of the stand. Then we lifted the tank straight up, pulled the dollies and rotated it right side up. With the tank on the stand, we lifted the stand and tank together ever so slightly and moved it about 6 inches at a time until it was in place. Lastly, we lifted up the tank and pulled the blanket out.

-Slatts

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2020, 18:17:31 »
Holy cow! It barely fit through the window! Looks good though!

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2020, 18:54:26 »
Wow!  It *just* fit!  This is going to look great! 

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2020, 23:01:30 »
Are the vertical pieces of the 80/20 stand the 1” square?

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2020, 23:22:27 »
Are the vertical pieces of the 80/20 stand the 1” square?

They are 1.75" square.
-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2020, 03:07:40 »
Got the sand rinsed yesterday, did a mix of Topic Eden meso flakes and mini flakes. My three big pieces of reef saver large foundation rock came in along with my E-Marco 400 mortar so I was able to get the aquascaping done tonight and sand in the tank! Have a full 75gal norwesco tank of saltwater mixing and my rodi tank almost full again, will be getting it wet tomorrow!

-Slatts

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2020, 15:02:27 »
Nice rock work, nice sand!  Congrats on getting to the wet portion of the build!

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2020, 21:25:49 »
Nice rock work, nice sand!  Congrats on getting to the wet portion of the build!

Thank you  :D

Feeling pretty deflated. My McCoskers fairy wrasses' brought velvet into my QT and wiped out my whole school of lyretail anthias, starry blenny and the McCosker's themselves. I just started dosing copper power but it was already too late for them. Now all my other fish, fish that ive even had for 3 years +, are all showing signs of velvet, ugh.. So demoralizing.
-Slatts

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2020, 22:03:58 »
That sucks!  Sorry to hear!

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #39 on: February 18, 2020, 07:02:43 »
so sorry to hear that you and your pets experienced this. one of my concerns is that i will have a similar outbreak of something beyond my control. take deep breaths to mitigate the deflation. assess, be calm and reef on. 

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2020, 16:06:11 »
That sucks!  Sorry to hear!

so sorry to hear that you and your pets experienced this. one of my concerns is that i will have a similar outbreak of something beyond my control. take deep breaths to mitigate the deflation. assess, be calm and reef on.

Thanks guys, appreciate it :D

I am sad to report that I've lost my coral beauty that I've had for almost two years now. However, I finally have my copper power up to 1.75ppm and my other fish are all doing well and eating. Currently have in there my Lightning Maroon Clown and Flame Hawk, both of which ive had for 3 years +, and for the new additions a pair of yellow coris wrasses, cleaner wrasse, and orange spotted file fish. Hoping they all stay healthy.

If I've learned anything its a observation tank is a MUST along with a QT. My mistake was throwing everything into the QT (with no meds) from the get go, so if there was an issue it was already spread to them all and I couldn't ramp up the meds quick enough! From here on out, ill only purchase one type of fish at a time and first give them a couple weeks in a separate observation tank.
-Slatts

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 19, 2020, 21:32:01 »
Sorry about the loss.  We have all experienced it and kicked our self for it.  Im a big fan of running hypo salinity in my qt tank.  Very gentle on fish, promotes better fish appetites, and wipes out ich.  You could possibly use hypo in your observation tank.  Only draw back is the need to go slow with bringing them out of hypo.
Jeff

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2020, 18:00:55 »
Sorry about the loss.  We have all experienced it and kicked our self for it.  Im a big fan of running hypo salinity in my qt tank.  Very gentle on fish, promotes better fish appetites, and wipes out ich.  You could possibly use hypo in your observation tank.  Only draw back is the need to go slow with bringing them out of hypo.
Jeff

Thanks, Jeff.

Unfortunately, also lost the cleaner wrasse and orange spotted a couple days after my last post. The clown, flame hawk, and pair of yellow coris wrasse are all doing great and eating aggressively with copper power at 2.0ppm. Visible signs of velvet have all disappeared from them and any free floating tomonts should be getting killed from the copper level.

I've decided to switch out my Synergy Reef Overflow with a 32" custom made one (drilled to replacement fit synergy) from Exotic Marine Systems. Thankfully I have not glued anything yet other than the unions on to the shadow overflow itself. I am also working on a new stand for my three new 20g highs I bought as observation tanks. I was able to pick them up at a good deal for dollar per gallon at the Kettering town and country pet supplies plus.
-Slatts

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2020, 15:38:25 »
I hate to hear about the losses, but in the end that’s why we observe and qt, I guess...  Here’s hoping you’re over the hump and will be on the upswing soon.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2020, 02:17:23 »
Been awhile since I've been on here. Going to update my build thread with quite a few update posts I did not post here yet!

[Jul 10, 2020]
Ok starting to get caught up to real time now!! Here is my complete fish tank control board cabinet I made out of pvc board a couple weeks back:

-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #45 on: December 16, 2020, 02:19:03 »
[Jul 10, 2020]
On my third round of quarantine currently, but this is pic was my setup between my first and second round. The 40g breeder on the left proved to be just too big for a quarantine. I found it was hard to maintain with copper just because of the sheer water volume:

Current pic of tank with about 11 fish so far and more to come!
-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #46 on: December 16, 2020, 02:21:29 »
[Oct 29, 2020]
Completed the light shroud, paneling on the extruded aluminum stand and did some cable management along the back wall:

12 fish so far everyone very healthy!

Added a 57 watt UV sterilizer in-line with my return plumbing along with the neptune apex 1" flow sensor to dial it in. Replaced the loud mag drive for my lifereef skimmer with the same pump as my return, the Maxspect 12k. I think its actually producing even better skimmate now:

Just readied the quarantine tanks tonight. The tang gang is on its way!

-Slatts

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2020, 02:23:56 »
[Dec 8, 2020]
Big update! I decided the sand bed had to go. I could already see that regularly cleaning the sand bed was going to be a major pain and I couldn't quite get the flow high as I would have liked without blowing sand every where.. Pulled all of the water out of the tank into several 32gal garbage cans, pulled the LR and placed it into the various garbage cans and took my vacuum and sucked the bottom clean! Also was able to do a little bit of a re-work on the aquascape.

After all that quarantine, ich still managed to somehow get into the tank. Taking the sand bed out at this same time actually worked out well because it was super easy to catch the fish once the water level got really low. Started the 76 day fallow period a couple weeks ago. All fish being treated again in copper.

On a brighter note, have filled my tank with corals and have the ph, calc and alk steady now. Currently have alk around 8dkh and calcium hovering around 410. Trying out All-For-Reef, but a dose of 50mls per day currently means their largest bottle will only last me 20 days. If this stuff continues to work well I just may continue to use it until they come to market with the powdered version.

With the increased photo period and intensity, I am having a little bit of a GHA breakout on some of my rocks. I have not fed the tank much at all since going fallow. I am thinking its a combination of two things, 1. those specific rocks are leeching phosphates and two potential die off from some of my CUC. Phosphates are reading 0.03, a few days ago and now 0.04 today. Running the last of my regular GFO currently, in a few days once I get my high capacity GFO in, ill run a full canister of that in hopes to lower even more, or at least suck up as much of the leeching phosphates as I can. Nitrates are hovering around 4ppm based on my Red Sea Pro Nitrate test kit. I am having a hard time telling if my readings are accurate though. I run the normal 0 - 4 range test and my color looks to be on the 4ppm or maybe higher. So because of this I run the diluted test (4 - 64 range), and the color looks just like the lowest color level in that range of 4ppm. So either I am doing something wrong or my Nitrates are really at 4ppm. Not sure if anyone has experience with this test kit?

Here are some update pics:

-Slatts

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: December 16, 2020, 10:42:00 »
is diluting the sample with 50% rodi water an option for the standard test. to get the color in range?

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #49 on: December 16, 2020, 17:51:36 »
is diluting the sample with 50% rodi water an option for the standard test. to get the color in range?

Yeah so in the directions it says to use 16ml of tank water for doing a test in the 0-4ppm range, and then to do the test for the 4-64ppm range you take 1ml of tank water and mix that with 15ml of rodi water to dilute. But all 4 times ive taken the test (both low and high range) I always end up with a color that is around 4ppm so its really confusing and hard to tell if its getting a good reading. I may just bite the bullet and get the Hanna Nitrate checker, but I have heard some conflicting opinions on how are the Hanna test is to perform.
-Slatts