2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chlorine or Chloramine  (Read 1532 times)

Offline Straasha

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Chlorine or Chloramine
« on: May 03, 2020, 21:13:02 »
Does anyone know if Greene County uses Chlorine or Chloramine to treat its water?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Chlorine or Chloramine
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 21:18:15 »
Their last water quality report only mentions the use of chlorine, but someone that lives in Greene would know better I’m sure.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 00:53:18 »
greene county residents can go online and use their account to get a water report for their address

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2020, 04:53:44 »
Unfortunately, it looks like my house/subdivision is too new and it is not pulling up my account's water report at the Green County Sanitary Engineering website.  After looking at the Northwest Region quality report, it only mentions Chlorine and not Chloramine.  My goal was to be sure I had the right filter in my RO/DI unit.  Thanks for the help team.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2020, 10:53:44 »
well, on that site there was a contact number; you could call them and ask directly. i also saw the report that said chlorine came from the treatment process but saw no definitive that Chloramine was not used. Probably someone here knows, but that takes time for them to come online and see the question.  What asking for patience from a reefer?  who thinks that is a good idea? lol

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2020, 10:59:36 »
I called several times last week...no one answered due to the office being closed.  I sent an e-mail three weeks ago...no answer either.

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2020, 11:07:07 »
so more patience is called for, sigh... :)

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2020, 11:39:33 »
i found an interesting document that said Ohio water providers were supposed to inform the public of Chloramine use. this would have a total combined chlorine result in the testing, which is not in theirs. also before starting use of Chloramines public education efforts are called for for affected businesses especially Pet stores and aquarists. also medical facilities and schools, another that said that Greene county is going to be membrane softening their water by next year. the history of the well systems in Greene county show that most of the well fields are now interconnected so what happens in one area should be applicable to the others that have public water.
keep looking your answers are out there.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2020, 13:15:52 »
I will say I don’t know anyone running crazy RODI setups. Just use a carbon block capable of removing chloramines and move on!

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2020, 14:07:02 »
i use Prime on RODI water prior to mixing salt. it provides me safe water for FW and SW tanks. of course the water changes using RODI have stripped the hardness out of my FW so i back added a small amount of ESV two-part to my FW display lol