2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Going Hybrid  (Read 926 times)

Offline zachegg

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Going Hybrid
« on: December 10, 2020, 16:56:49 »
I'm looking for some feedback on changing up my lighting. I am currently running two Hydra 52's non HD's on a 48x24x24 tank. I'm having some shadowing and I've been thinking about adding the Aquatic Life t5 dimmable Hybrid light and keeping the Hydra's. Really my goal is to eliminate the shadowing. The hydra's are working well for me with coral growth. Anyone using this fixture or recommendations for switching out all the lighting. TIA

Offline eslatts11

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Re: Going Hybrid
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2020, 02:48:29 »
After having both LED's and hybrid LED/T5 fixtures, I am currently using multiple LEDs as my go to (Orphek Atlantik v4s). Down the road, I want to add more of the same fixtures to my RMS rail track mount. What I have learned is that while the recommended coverage area for a given LED will light your tank adequately given you space them out evenly, the problem is that the light is still only coming from a couple or few direct points, especially if using pendant LEDs like Kessil or clustered LEDs (multiple pendants together) like the Hydras. Ocean Revives have a similar construction like Orphek Atlantiks where the LEDs are spread over a wide area of the fixture so as to not create any single point of light. There is some trade off though, I have found loss of the shimmer effect and more of the "disco" effect with these lights, but its a small price to pay to eliminate shadowing. You can always add other lights in as well to obtain the shimmering effect. If its in your budget I'd look to get a couple more Hydra's, maybe even mount them sideways to distribute the spread more evenly from front to back. Or you could potentially look at replacing the hydras with a different LED construction light. The other benefit to is not having to fuss with bulbs every year which is also an additional cost.
-Slatts

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Going Hybrid
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2020, 21:03:42 »
I'm looking for some feedback on changing up my lighting. I am currently running two Hydra 52's non HD's on a 48x24x24 tank. I'm having some shadowing and I've been thinking about adding the Aquatic Life t5 dimmable Hybrid light and keeping the Hydra's. Really my goal is to eliminate the shadowing. The hydra's are working well for me with coral growth. Anyone using this fixture or recommendations for switching out all the lighting. TIA

I have 2 kessil AP700's on the same size tank and got rid of the 4 t5 bulbs I was using as supplement and went with 2 Orpek OR3 blue plus bars instead. I'm happier with how it makes the corals look and it still solves the shadowing issue nicely.