2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Leaky tank  (Read 1062 times)

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Leaky tank
« on: December 30, 2020, 13:07:52 »
I wanted to post this to see if anyone had similar occurances.  I recently discovered a slow leak in my frag tank, but I couldn't tell where it was coming from since I couldn't get behind the tank.  I removed about 80 gallons so I could move it and find the leak.  The leak was coming from the overflow bulkheads which were very loose.  I could tighten/loosen them by hand.  This tank has been running for 4-5 years without any leaks.  Has anyone had similar experiences with the bulkheads becoming loose over time?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Leaky tank
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 13:21:44 »
I’ve seen them loosen only a month after install. Happened on my 90 with the corner overflow. I haven’t had issues with bulkheads installed on the back or side glass. Just the bottom.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 15:57:15 »
I haven't, but now I have to go home and check mine!

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 16:22:55 »
Yes, all 3 on the bottom of the overflow were loose.  The two returns on the back of the tank were still tight.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 21:27:38 »
I was helping aquavista once with his frag tanks leaking and sure enough his bottom bulkheads were loose.  We were afraid that we might have to drain and replace the fittings but simply tightening them was all that was needed.
Jeff