2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Raise pH  (Read 1470 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Raise pH
« on: March 19, 2021, 10:22:55 »
My pH is running low, has since I’ve set the tank up. According to my Apex I’m running between 7.5 and 7.8.

My alk is 8dKh and my Ca is 380.

I need suggestions for getting my pH up. I realize “winter air” is part of the problem.

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: Raise pH
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 12:06:39 »
IMO, if you are not getting fresh air, I would say it is the problem. If you are getting fresh air then that is another issue.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2021, 15:12:46 »
IMO, if you are not getting fresh air, I would say it is the problem. If you are getting fresh air then that is another issue.

I opened the window for a couple hours the other day, but no changes. Of course I didn't really expect much change for that short of time.

We have central air so our windows aren't open much. What can I do to help with the pH level?

The reading I'm getting is from my Apex pH probe. According to my API test the pH is 8.0.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2021, 22:34:59 »
You can try adding an air stone to the sump. I do that on my frag tank but I don’t have a way to test my pH to know how much it is helping.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2021, 00:10:45 »
You can try adding an air stone to the sump. I do that on my frag tank but I don’t have a way to test my pH to know how much it is helping.
I’d thought of that, but would’ve thought my skimmer would have added more than enough aeration.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2021, 07:59:47 »
Kalkwasser might help

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2021, 09:55:23 »
Kalkwasser might help
Hadn’t thought of that. That’s in my plans to do. May have to move that up in my priorities.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2021, 20:50:08 »
I would be willing to bet the calibration is off by .2 - .3
The way to tell is take the probe and insert into some calibration fluid and see if it reads what is printed on the package of the fluid. Give it a good 5 minute to settle after inserting. In a ranch style house ph usually runs 7.8-8.1. That is were most reefers ph is in this area. If the home has a lot of people maybe 7.7-8.0

Think of the ph reading as just a number. If your daily swing is 7.5-7.8 then use that number as your indicator. For example set your high alarm for 8.1 and low alarm at 7.3. If the alarm goes off then check the alkalinity level. So the actual number doesn’t matter a lot just so long as your using the boundaries to indicate a problem that would alert you to test.

Increasing ph can increase growth however it is not easy to do. The kalkwasser method suggestion is a superior method to do that. But first double check the levels are accurate. Keeping a window open also is great however tuff to do in summer and winter. When I open my windows for extended period of time I commonly have to reset my alarm boundaries.

Jeff’s tank is in his basement. He used a bathroom style fan to draw air from the floor out the window. It worked really well for him. He has a calcium reactor which draws ph down. That with having the  system in basement really  depressed the ph. The solution was perfect for him.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2021, 20:56:09 »
Thanks Lazy. I was wondering about the probe calibration. I calibrated it when I first set it up a few weeks ago, but I didn’t let it sit for 5 minutes.

I’ll have to get some calibration fluid and recheck it.

My alk and Ca have been pretty consistent.