2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reef Salt causing RED slime  (Read 1345 times)

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Reef Salt causing RED slime
« on: February 10, 2021, 13:04:54 »
I think I get a red slime ( I don't know if it is cyano) with Fritz salt or it may have triggered it. Chemiclean had little or no effect on it. Lights out for 3 day did improve the  tank conditions.  I did move back to IO Reef Crystals and the slime went away. Anyone have a similar experience.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Reef Salt causing RED slime
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2021, 13:25:52 »
I had this experience with LiveAquaria salt. If rumors are true both are made by Fritz, right? I’m sure it’s not JUST the salt but something else in our tanks with the salt being the tipping point or final contributing factor.

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2021, 19:36:10 »
Same experience with the red slime

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2021, 15:47:42 »
Had issues with Fritz too

Offline Straasha

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2021, 17:54:34 »
I have used Live Aquaria (aka Fritz RPM) since I started my tank last July.  I have not had the Red Slime (cyano) problem.  The only issues I have had were a Briopsis outbreak, which I now have eliminated and do not attribute to the salt, and extremely high magnesium.  I made a fresh batch last weekend at 1.026 salinity and the magnesium was over 1600, calcium was 450, and alkalinity was 8.5.  I have had this level of magnesium in my tank for months.  I am going to change to HW Marinemix Reefer salt in order to get the levels down.  The box came in today and I plan to mix up a batch and test it this weekend.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2021, 20:11:02 »
I used some of my Fritz red box salt to melt the ice on my front walkway. It worked very well for this. Otherwise it would still be sitting in my garage because I won’t use it in my tank anymore.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2021, 20:57:03 »
I used some of my Fritz red box salt to melt the ice on my front walkway. It worked very well for this. Otherwise it would still be sitting in my garage because I won’t use it in my tank anymore.
I really wish I would have thought to keep that box I got from you for that! I had a horrible experience with the red box fritz, I ended up putting the whole box in the trash can. It was kind of sad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2021, 23:06:01 »
I really wish I would have thought to keep that box I got from you for that! I had a horrible experience with the red box fritz, I ended up putting the whole box in the trash can. It was kind of sad lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In your defense, it's been a long time since this area has had a winter this snowy.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2021, 09:11:39 »
Maybe a better question is who bought the Fritz Salt and did not have an issue?

I did contact Fritz Salt and they said the testing for our batch #38998.3 of salt was good and have not had other complaints. They did send this link to an article about changing salt that they had found.

https://www.theaquariumsolution.com/cyano-bacteria-within-reef-tank

Some of us had very gradual changes between the salts because we do auto water changes and still had/have issues. Keith had an idea "each box of salt should come with a box of ChemiClean."