2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: gerbers  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
gerbers
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:39:25 »
I went there recently after about 2 years of not seeing it. The store is now half the size, however, it looks like quality has gone up. They painted the walls which were in horrible condition, setup a nice nano section, overall quality of fish has gone up, and they have a lot of rare hard to find freshwater fish. While it is still overpriced, I spoke with John for a good while, and it seems they are moving away from the wholesale side and focusing more on providing customers with a large variety of different fish. with this being said, I did not check out any other fish stores on my trip back to dayton.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
Re: gerbers
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2009, 16:04:04 »
I should add that John is really open to ideas that will help him supply and meet the demands of the reefing community. He is open to segestions that will help us and his bussiness. I think the shop has come along way for the better and look forward to some new changes. 
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

reefer3737

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 13:06:40 »
i really like what hes don with it but again he is a little pricey

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 13:18:30 »
I can't remember who first said it, but I saw it on here somewhere. Gerbers is pretty open to making a good deal if A) its a decent amount of product and B) you're paying in cash.

Most retail establishments usually pay around 3% for credit card transactions (it may be more now for all I know). Cash eliminates that 3% hit they take.

And ofcourse, the more you buy, the more you save!  ;)

The problem with them, from my viewpoint, is that I can get the same product from one of our sponsors for about the same price or cheaper without having to buy $200+ worth of fish. + they have overboard pricing on their corals...but the members on here have spoiled me on that  :laugh:

They do have a lot of used equipment on the other side of the store...and it seems to change fairly regularly. I don't know if any of our sponsors deal much with used equipment or not...but I haven't seen that much in any of their shops.

Just my 2 cents!

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 13:29:51 »
two cents well spent. Maybe John will read post and get some ideas for the better.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!