2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: coral bleach in 24 hrs or less  (Read 6333 times)

Offline larrynews

coral bleach in 24 hrs or less
« on: August 06, 2009, 20:20:55 »
this has happened in the last 24 hours everything test the same as it has over the past year.
so i dont get accused for hide something like last time
salinty 1.025
temp 80-81
phos  2.0 ( which it has been for years)
ph 8.4
rites 0
amm 0
calcium 450
alk 2.3ish  (good range)
use c-balance to part everyday

they have been there for months any help or ideas

could a direct shot of calcium in the tank or part b do this...i did by accident do that today but i have also in the past, and i am at the bottom of the jugs to potent maybe . the other 5 or 6 sps are doing great, as are all the other corals. should i try to frag them or leave them alone???

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
Re: coral bleach in 24 hrs or less
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 20:40:46 »
Thats a complete loss of tissue. Same thing happened to my Brown/blueish/green Acro I had. It was a decent size too.

Mine lost about 50% of its tissue in 24 hours.

I made a quick decision to snap off all the good branches and mount them. The rest of the colony was dead in 12 hours. But the frags are alive, and looking better than ever.

Anything else change in the system? Add anything? Move anything? Change lights??

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 20:58:12 »
Yes frag it now. Dont wait for tomorrow it may be gone by morning.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 21:12:12 »
nothing different, did a water change last week, i will frag thanks

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 21:25:42 »
I recently seen this in someone else's tank. I dont think they found out for sure what it was but I'll check.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2009, 21:42:15 »
This usually happens when your alkalinity gets too low, below 7 dkh. What kit are you using to test your alkalinity?

How much of the c-balance did you dose (and what size is your system)? Dosing all at once to maintain proper levels will not cause a problem so long as your are just keeping up with demand and not causing massive increases.

I would only frags those with rtn symptoms.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2009, 21:53:36 »
red sea alk/ph test, same as i always have for years....125g tank and i dose the same amount everyday and the levels stay the same 1/4 cup keeps the calcium at 450 and the alk on my test in the good range , the same spot so nothing has changed. only fraged the 2 with the problem.
thanks

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2009, 21:55:17 »
how old are your test kits? Make sure they are not expired.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2009, 21:56:33 »
i'll check i think its fairly new

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2009, 22:06:35 »
can read the stamp i think it says 04 11 the seems like a long time, i havent had it that long 6 month or so

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2009, 22:14:02 »
I have gone through that about 3 times in the last year since keeping SPS. Never discovered what the problems were. When it happens if I dont frag it I loose it. Even had SPS that have been thriving for almost a year and wake up in the morning and half is gone. Everything tests fine.

Could be low Alkalinity, Bacteria Infection, Chemical Warfare.....who knows. It sure is heart breaking when it happens.

Check this out.

Rapid tissue necrosis on SPS corals. Not quite sure what is causing this yet, the time lapse portion represents a 12 hour period. The entire event took about 24 hours to unfold and about half the coral mass has been cut out and disposed of in the hope of saving the rest of the system.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2009, 22:28:42 »
I  have noticed when SPS corals are not happy, the first sign of stress can trigger a chain reaction with the rest of the corals. The corals you photographed above look browned-out, which is a sign that they may not be happy...usually it is a combination of not enough flow, light and/or too much nutrients in the water and/or your water parameters are off.

This can also happen if you add a new SPS frag or coral to the system with RTN ( rapid tissue necrosis). RTN is where an sps coral starts to flake tissue off the skeleton. This is contagious and can spread quickly. Did you add any new SPS recently. Swings in alkalinity can cause bleaching in SPS as well.

I would start with a large water change and remove all the dying corals ASAP and frag what is left that looks healthy.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2009, 22:40:52 »
the pic looked like that because all the big lights were off, sorry they were purple and the other dark purplish, the color had stayed the same until today. i have been googleing a lot and it seems it could be a Bacteria Infection. who knows. i did add sps from the frag swap they are all looking good and on the other side of the tank, except one and it was in the area.  the first pic is the 2 affected  ones, on top green is new and it is fine,so far, the other pic is the other side of the tank with all doing well, new and old. these were take aug 1 09
« Last Edit: August 06, 2009, 22:44:44 by larrynews »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2009, 22:47:28 »
I will be home tomorrow until about 2:00 if you want to stop by with a water sample. I can digitally check PH, Phosphates and Salinity and check Alk, Iodine, Ca, Nitrate and Nitrite with chemical test kits to see if you are getting the same readings with your kits.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2009, 22:49:51 »
Does anyone know why SPS typically loose tissue from the base up? Does that give an indication as to the issue?

Nicki is that what happen to your tank as well?

Offline larrynews

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2009, 22:50:22 »
thanks but my wife is having minor surgery tomorrow , she may frown on me not being there but i would like to do that some time

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2009, 22:52:00 »
Maybe next weekend. Just let me know.

thanks but my wife is having minor surgery tomorrow , she may frown on me not being there but i would like to do that some time

Offline larrynews

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2009, 22:52:32 »
my question is, not to hi jack my own thread, is why do the polyp part die i thought they were all individual cells or am i thinking of something else. thanks to all its great having help in minutes
larry

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2009, 23:02:16 »
The wild thing is the rest of the coral can look healthy as ever, polyps extended all the while the other 1/2 is loosing tissue and polyps at a alarming rate.

The Coral Propagation book that I just read by Anthony Calfo believes that most RTN events are caused by chemical coral warfare however he says he has no scientific evidence to back it up. Just that it seems to be most pronounced in mixed reefs. He considers tanks with Montipora and Acropora a mixed reef and thinks that softies mixed with SPS and LPS is a constant battle ground where SPS are fighting a loosing battle. However we do see mixed reefs that look great all the time. The best colors are typically when they are all similar such as Aquavista's tank. 

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2009, 23:53:52 »
The wild thing is the rest of the coral can look healthy as ever, polyps extended all the while the other 1/2 is loosing tissue and polyps at a alarming rate.

The Coral Propagation book that I just read by Anthony Calfo believes that most RTN events are caused by chemical coral warfare however he says he has no scientific evidence to back it up. Just that it seems to be most pronounced in mixed reefs. He considers tanks with Montipora and Acropora a mixed reef and thinks that softies mixed with SPS and LPS is a constant battle ground where SPS are fighting a loosing battle. However we do see mixed reefs that look great all the time. The best colors are typically when they are all similar such as Aquavista's tank. 

I agree with Calfo's statements above. Also, most mixed reefs do not provide enough random "intense" flow to make SPS happy whereas most LPS do best with less flow. Acropora corals tend to be the first SPS to stress out in a mixed reef. Your water parameters can be good, but if the SPS corals start to brown out, it is a sign of too much nutrients and/or lack of intense flow, etc. Easier to keep SPS, like various montipora corals tend to do better in mixed reefs because in the wild they can thrive in lagoon environments with higher nutrient levels in the water whereas the sticks (Acropora)  generally thrive in super clean water with crashing waves and intense sun blasting them all day long.

Adding new SPS to an established reef without QT can cause problems as well (as stated above with RTN, not to mention pests like AEFWs, Redbugs or Monti Eating Nudies). And as stated by Calfo and others, mixed reefs tend to crash more because the chemical warfare going on between the different types of corals. Usually the SPS come out on the losing end of the battle.

As for random flow, most of my SPS are in the very bottom 20% of my reef but I am able to produce lots of random flow throughout the tank. I attached a look down picture of my reef  to give you an idea of what I mean by intense flow = happy SPS.  Conversely, most LPS may not do so well with intense flow. Swings in alkalinity can also cause major problems with SPS.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2009, 12:22:03 »
It only happened to me once.

The Acro was in the far left of my tank, in direct flow. But it was shaded on the side that died. I always thought the lack of light had something to do with it. Since then, that corner is a Zoa Garden, with all the SPS Corals very close to the lights.

I was thinking bacterial infection in my case. The shaded tissue died off, started to decay, and it ate away the rest of it. I don't think it was chemical, because the other Frags are doing great.

On Reefcentral there is a thread going. Some guys frag them up and they live, some die in the same system. Some people move them to a separate system, and some live and die. Its weird.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009, 15:52:00 »
I agree Techguy it is weird. Hopefully over the years we get more insight into these creatures and able to pinpoint the issue better.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2009, 18:16:35 »
just thought about it again , i did change to carbon out of the reactor and just put it in a bag and add phos ban to the reactor....anyone???

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2009, 18:44:33 »
Assuming that you normally run carbon and GFO.  Then I doubt it.    Sometimes it just happens.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #24 on: August 07, 2009, 21:48:30 »
i have not been running phos-ban, until last week

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009, 22:21:41 »
There you have it. Major change!!! Phosphates are a requirment for life. What was your phosphates before?good kit right? Everyone brags about zero, but zero is not acceptable. You must have phosphates, period. If your trying to remove PO to get rid of cyano/GHA/any pest. Look into your feeding schedule and skimming.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009, 22:36:40 »
they were  around 4 ,now around 2, they have never been 0 usually between 3 and 5  on the color test
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 22:42:32 by larrynews »

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2009, 10:37:55 »
In my experience, the easiest way to kill SPS by accident is to go through an alk swing.  If you dosed the alk portion of the two part directly to the tank and the coral got hit by it, I can see the coral RTNing as a result of that.  As it has been said a few times now, nobody knows the exact cause of RTN for sure, but we can assume that it is an extreme response to stress.

Reefd Up

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2009, 11:31:54 »
Brian, no, I've only had tissue loss like that when I was having issues when I thought it was the salt.

Sorry this is going to be short...but I'm sneaking computer time (we're completely rearranging/cleaning the house today...all new wedding stuff, ya know.) 

Tissue loss around the base can be from low flow in larger colonies (which they're not), low alk, or some bacterial/viral diseases (and I'm sure other stuff, but I'm in a rush.)  It can also be caused by recent fragging.  Yes...poor fragging can cause tissue problems at the base of the coral.  Once a small tissue rip occurs, the whole coral can go.  Try fragging the tips off, use a cyanoacrylate gel glue, and try re-acclimating them again.  Using the wrong glue can be deadly.  You want an endothermic glue...but exothermic glues are acceptable (which cyanoacrylate is) provided that it reacts with moisture in the air to set.  Cyanoacrylates react with moisture, so they will set quicker if you dunk them in water.  In fact, this type of glue will not set if there is no humidity.

As far as the GFO, if you suddenly increased doseage or used too much for a starting dose, it could cause this as well.  GFO exponentially drops the phosphate level...and too quick of a drop (ie, too big of a dose) could cause coral death.   

But yeah, best advice...double check all parameters & frag! 

Offline larrynews

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2009, 12:39:36 »
update, the one i lost even after fraging it into 3 pieces, but the other seems to have made it, and all the others are fine so i'm guessing i did it myself dosing in the tank instead of the sump, i knew it as i was doing it not a good idea, and phos ban maybe but i think it was the dosing...thanks to all for the help and advice

Offline larrynews

« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2009, 15:46:58 »
it also died ..i suck!!!!!