2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Warboz's 29g Mixed Reef  (Read 7046 times)

Offline Warboz

• Fry
Warboz's 29g Mixed Reef
« on: January 18, 2010, 17:22:52 »

Tank Specs:
Custom drilled 29g w/ 1" and 3/4" drains
Custom 20g long sump w/ refugium
Custom hood and stand
Reef Keep Lite w/ 2 RKM-PC4s (8 programmable outlets)
Retrofit 150w DE MH w/ 14k Phoenix bulb
Retrofit 2x 24w Actinic T5s
Retrofit Current USA 2x white moonlights
Coralife Mini Aqualight Fixture 2x 9w 10k/03
EcoTech Vortech MP10 pump
Eheim 1260 return pump
Eheim 1048 chiller pump
Hydor 2 pump
Hydor Nano pump
1/15 HP Mini Artica Chiller
JBJ Auto Top-Off
Reef Octopus Extreme 160 protein skimmer

Fish:
2x False Percs
Fourline Wrasse
Hi Fin Red Banded Goby w/ Red Banded Pistol Shrimp

Inverts:
Rose BTA
Lobo
Acan
Favias
Purple Gorgonia
Florida Rics
Ricodia Yumas
Millipora
Acros
Zoos
Frogspawn
ORA Green Tip Toadstool

This tank is my 3rd saltwater tank over the past 8 years. I've put all the bells and whistles on this bad boy in an attempt to maintain solid parameters. It has been up and running for ~6 months. The pictures were taken as I was pissing off everything in the tank trying to do maintenance. I recently had an algae problem as you can see, hopefully I've taken care of that. And I also didn't clean the glass well. Anyway enough excuses.

Thanks for looking, hopefully with some support I can keep this thread up to date! Comments, questions, and criticism welcome!

Tank, Stand and Canopy

Refugium

Controllers

Both Tanks

Neglected Nanocube  :(

Zoos (I have tons of them, PM if you're interested in some $5 for ~5-10 polyps per type)...Eagle Eyes, Radioactive Greens/Dragon Eyes

Green Bay Packers

Favia

Lobo

Clown sayin' Hey

Pink Zoos

Rics (The yuma is a big as the diameter of a coke can! It's also splitting, so soon to be 2 yumas!)

Christmas Favia

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
Re: Warboz's 29g Mixed Reef
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 17:29:52 »
Thats a really nice looking set-up! Its very motivating to see.

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 17:37:32 »
yeah what he ^ said, welcome, and where are you from?

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 17:38:21 »
Looks good. The stand is beautiful.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 17:51:03 »
WOW! Great setup, you're stand is great!
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 18:33:33 »
nice set up  i love the Favias if u ever frag them  would love a piece    and the stand is awsome
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 18:41:41 »
great tank, and nice to meet you at the Calfo speech. So.... When we slicing up that RBTA? every 2 weeks right?  ;) I need a broodstock to start with  :laugh:
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2010, 18:44:30 »
Hey, Warboz, I live in Middletown, just a stone's throw from Monroe.  I'd love to come check out the set up in person sometime, and maybe you could stop by and check out what I have and give me some pointers.  My 29g hasn't even been up for a month yet (was cycled by the guy I bought it from, so I had a short downtime with it).  Check out my set up in the Member Tank Profiels section.

Reefd Up

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2010, 18:48:49 »
Wow, and here we were talking about our custom stand...yours is beautiful!  I think we even used a similar moulding (the square-notch stuff) - great minds think alike!  That is seriously some impressive equipment too...don't see MP10's often yet.  Love the zoanthid waterfall!  

I was going to say that I didn't think your nano was neglected...until I saw the lone poor frag down in the sand.   :laugh:  Wish my "neglected nano" looked half as good!

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2010, 19:05:40 »
I think we even used a similar moulding (the square-notch stuff)

Come on :).... Its Dental molding, everyone knows that.  It looks like little teeth, hince the name  ;D

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2010, 20:27:26 »
Looks great, How does the skimmer do for you?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2010, 23:34:55 »
Very nice setup and beautiful work work!

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 23:52:16 »
Thanks for all of the compliments!

Reef'd Up - For whatever reason, I can't send new or reply to PMs. It comes up with some error saying I don't have privileges. I didn't look into it too long. I don't know if you are the person I'm supposed to contact or not.

The trick to creating a zoo waterfall - zoos flow up, not down! The equipment is overkill for the tank size, but I knew I wasn't going to be able to get a bigger tank for a while so made sure it was fully automated for a week at a time with rock solid parameters. My SG doesn't move noticeably for months at a time and my temp only moves from 80 +/- 0.2 degrees. The MP10 is awesome, an MP20 or 40 is serious overkill for this tank length. My MP10 is short pulse, standing wave every ~0.5 second mode, and is only at about 50% amplitude. It still creates massive undertow and blows everything around. If I turn it up anymore my anemone gets bashed around. That controller is awesome, ReefKeeper 2 Lite. I think it was $100. Totally worth it. The neglected nano is getting fragged out and dismantled. The nano doesn't really buy me a QT tank or anything useful. It just burns electricity at this point. I'm going to try to suck someone else into the hobby and give it to them =).

Learning_The_Hard_Way - I got your PM, I'm in Monroe. We'll set up some time as soon as my PMs work!

ghurlag  - Sure no problem. We'll set up a time...as soon as I can PM people! I'll try to help where I can, most of it is learning first hand and reading...and waiting. Being patient is the hardest part about this hobby!

HUNGER - I got both of those favias as single mouth frags, $5 bargain bin style at Phishy Business in Columbus. They've turned around quite well. As you can see they have many mouths and are rapidly spreading back to the skeleton they previously occupied. As soon as they get full covered and grow some new skeleton I'll start fraggin. I really hate spending anymore than $20 on any given coral because anytime I seem to spend more, I lose it in a week. Anything I spend $5 on never dies.

cyberwollf - Ha! I was thinking that his whole speech. But...it took me nearly a year to find a RBTA that looked healthy and wasn't an outrageous price. The first RBTA I had nearly 6 years ago I got for like $20. Then I moved the tank, RBTA got pissed and move, then the powerhead ate it =(. My current RBTA is not moving off that rock!

Riderc82 - The Octopus skimmer is top notch. I've had no problems with it at all. It skims like a champ and the collection cup is big enough I can get away with not cleaning it for a week. It's made for like a 90 gal, so its definitely overkill. I highly recommend it. It's actually the first skimmer I've owned and I've been pleasantly surprised with its performance. I did quite a bit of research to determine which skimmer to buy, and the Octopus Extreme never had a bad review.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 23:53:54 »
You need 10 Posts to sent PM's.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2010, 23:56:19 »
Ah...whelp, looks like I better go check out some other tanks!

Offline hamiltro

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2010, 00:16:59 »
 :o :o :o no words  :o :o :o
55 gal working on upgrading to 120 with a 55 Sump(unless I find a deal on a bigger tank)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2010, 08:22:16 »
ya same here even with fish  if it was free  i could never kill it  but if i spent 50 on it it would never open  and dies  i do agree
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2010, 16:57:22 »
It's amazing what I have learned in just the short time I have been active in the reef hobby.  A FO (fish-only) tank would be cake for me at this point, so that's why I opted for a reef tank.  I'm also glad I sold my 75g before the bug bit - otherwise I might be divorced by now :)  I really think I am at a perfect size for what I want to do right now, and I'll have plenty of knowledge when it's time to go bigger.  I'm looking forward to you getting 10 posts and being able to send/receive PMs.  You have a few frags that I might be interested in :)  Talk to you soon

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2010, 19:22:33 »
Hehe yeah, soon enough I'll have 10. I would have them already but I've been busy and haven't been able to surf the boards a lot. I'm heading to the CincyReef power buy in Milford this weekend. Hopefully I can nab some nice stuff, he's having a clam sale for $30, I don't know the quality of the clams though.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2010, 20:09:18 »
nice thats a good price for clams
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2010, 20:19:23 »
30 clams for a clam...  come on - I'm not the only one who was thinking it :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2010, 20:25:48 »
30 clams for a clam...  come on - I'm not the only one who was thinking it :)

it is true
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2010, 09:44:03 »
Hey, Warboz, I can't PM you yet, since you don't have 10 forum posts, but I would like to go "shopping" as it were for some coral frags.  My tank is pretty bare right now, and is ready to be gradually loaded up.  As soon as you are available, let me know.  Thanks

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2010, 11:17:43 »
Hey, Warboz, I can't PM you yet, since you don't have 10 forum posts, but I would like to go "shopping" as it were for some coral frags.  My tank is pretty bare right now, and is ready to be gradually loaded up.  As soon as you are available, let me know.  Thanks

??? you Have almost 200

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2010, 11:30:14 »
??? you Have almost 200

Warboz doesn't have enough, dope.  ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2010, 13:18:45 »
 ;D

Sometimes, Monday happens on Thursdays, doesn't it Cyberwollf?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2010, 14:03:38 »
Warboz doesn't have enough, dope.  ;D

!!! i caught that just as i posted it... I deleted that post AND checked it afterwards lol.... I dont know how it still showed up lol

Offline Rayman

• Adult
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2010, 15:55:51 »
I am going with the second Monday of the week theory . :D

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2010, 16:57:47 »
Haha what I should do is just spam my own thread with 10 posts. I did get some nice corals at Coral Pet's last weekend. I'll try to get some pics up later.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2010, 17:58:31 »
cool cant wait to see
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2010, 18:09:30 »
Warboz, February's club meeting is at my house in Middletown - you should make it a point to stop by and meet some folks and check out my tank, in its early stages.  And if I don't get with you before, you can bring by some frags (I ain't too picky :) )

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2010, 00:01:03 »
Sounds good. I'll do my best to make it since you're so close! My dumb new zoos on a plug fell off the rock I epoxied it to and fell behind my LR. It's going to be a pain to get it but I'm not letting those suckers get away! Really nice zoos, I haven't been able to find a name for them yet.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2010, 07:44:30 »
I guess a pic is out of the question until you rescue them :)

My Eagle Eyes are starting to spread just the tiniest little bit (okay, just 1 new polyp, but that frag is all I have right now, so I get excited).

2 more posts Warboz and we can do business ;)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2010, 08:25:35 »
ouch that sucks  ive had frags fall behind LR and it is a pian to get them back out
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2010, 19:55:17 »
Got a pretty nice looking Yellow Tonga Leather at Phishy Business this weekend. It's kind of crazy here so I haven't been able to take pictures yet. I'm currently in the middle of installing my home theater PC and getting it up and running.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 10, 2010, 16:58:13 »
Warboz, how are things going?  How are the tanks?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #36 on: March 10, 2010, 19:25:38 »
cant wait to see some more pics
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2010, 22:14:11 »
Woo! Man it's been busy around here lately. Sorry about not getting any pics up. I'm going to clean the glass and take some this weekend I hope. Most of the stuff I got from Coral Pets (I think that's what it was called) has been doing well. Other than an Acan that just kinda melted away last week for no apparent reason, it's been going well. I have good growth on my SPS and pretty much everything else. I swear I'll get pictures up soon!

My other tank, with all of the zoas in it, needs to go. I'll be handing out corals to whoever wants them, in whatever quantity. I've just neglected the tank too long and its getting some algae growth from a lack of water changes. Someone else will enjoy the zoas in that tank more than I will. Speak up and we can arrange a day to come get whatever you. Eagle Eye, Radioactive Greens and Green Bay Packers are the dominate 3 zoas. There are also some orange skirted ones that grow like weeds.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2010, 10:52:07 »
Warboz, you have no idea how badly I want to raid that tank.  I think you have enough posts to PM (on my BB in text only, so I can't tell for sure).  I want some radioactive greens for sure.  And plenty of other stuff would be awesome too

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2010, 15:39:23 »
Here's a quick updated picture that I've been promising for weeks!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2010, 17:23:53 »
looks great keep up the great work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2010, 18:01:12 »
It does look great!  I sent my last PM before seeing the pic - you are off the hook :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2010, 18:30:58 »
That purple Bonsai is Smokin HOT!

Offline Warboz

• Fry
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2010, 19:50:21 »
Thanks everyone! I started getting some good growth on that bonsai. It's a 2 tone purple/turquoise color and has really started to encrust the plug and start growing. I've been happy with my SPS growth only doing water changes. You can see quite a bit of growth with the tabling tri-color and the SPS in the middle is a really cool pale blue that's starting to grow. Pink/red milli is starting to encrust and the freebie green milli I got at the frag swap in Cincy is doing great.

Anyone interested in zoo frags, they're all in the pic. The orange skirts are going nuts on the lower right hand side along with the eagle eyes, radioactives and green bay packers. I got plenty for anyone who wants them. We'll say prices are negotiable (I'll definitely get you your moneys worth) because I want the nano cube taken down. As you can see I already have seeds growing in my new tank and the other tank is completely covered. If you want frags I can get some stuff ready, if you want full colonies you send me an offer and we'll get a deal figured out.