2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Customer Service  (Read 6245 times)

rupertswife

Customer Service
« on: February 19, 2010, 16:58:18 »
It has taken me a long time to finally write this because I sincerely don't want to offend anyone, but I feel like I need to share. I am in customer service, and have dealt with the public for a long, long time both in retail and in a corporate business setting. One thing I have learned in all my years is that it’s not what you say, but how you say it. I always try to follow one rule – I try very hard to show people what they CAN do rather than telling them what they CAN’T do.

I am new to the SW hobby and don't always know the right question to ask or what would necessarily be appropriate for my experience level or tank set up. I admit that right up front. However, I have not had good experienced getting newbie help from the independent LFS. Twice I was flat out told, "You can't do that......." Maybe that's true, but telling me right off the bat that I "can't" do something is a huge turn off for me and I probably will not hear anything said after that. I would much rather hear someone tell me, "That won't work for you right now, you CAN do this..." or "you CAN do that but first you need to……”

Once someone tells me I "can't" do something, I am pretty much out the door because it sounds to me like I am being told I'm not capable.

I completely understand all the arguments about not letting someone take something home and killing an animal or having disastrous results with the equipment. I get it. I really do!

Again, it’s not WHAT needs said, it’s all about HOW it’s said. Being ignorant is not the same as being foolish. I admit that I am ignorant and will probably ask a dumb question, but that does not mean I ‘can’t.’ Please tell me how I CAN!

FTR – This happened at two different LFS, three different times. Needless to say, I am in no hurry to go back to them. If this had happened at just one of them, I would not have brought it up. I would rather do the research myself and pay the high prices at a chain store than be made to feel like I am incompetent. I have had no problems with any of the livestock, or equipment I have bought that way.

And it all came from Jack’s, Gerbers, or private sellers. I give them props for customer service that is at least polite and as helpful as they can be. Anyone with an ounce of sense knows which employees know their stuff and which ones don’t. I do my research before going to the store, so I know what I’m looking for. If I’m browsing and there’s no one there who knows what I’m looking at, I don’t buy until I go home and do my research on it.

I know I can’t be the only one who’s been put off this way, but maybe I’m the only one on the boards who will say it. I’m sure the people I dealt with had the best of intentions, but again, it’s all in the delivery.

Sorry to take so much board space, but I am really tired of Jack’s and Gerbers getting all the flack on here. They’ve been good to me. And for that I’m willing to over look some of their high prices.

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Customer Service
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2010, 17:10:31 »
Customer service is key.  When I was in high school (many moons ago), I worked at Jack's in Middletown.  When I started, I was under a well-qualified manager who taught me the importance of customer service and appearance.  It was then, through experience, and word of mouth that I gained the knowledge necessary to provide both good service and good advice to customers.

I would agree that for all the positives to shopping at independent LFS's, (or any independently owned establishment), you can run into some poor service.  I will agree that alone can be enough to turn me off permanently.  I have always made it a point, in every job I have held, and in my current career, to treat people respectfully and make as few assumptions as possible. 

I think any LFS owner worth anything would be thankful to be informed that they or one of their employees are turning customers off.  I used to work for an individual that had no idea how snotty he could get with customers.  Ignorance is bliss, I suppose.

For our sponsors out there, please remember that if not for customers, you would have no income.  I know some of us are royal pains, most people who come through the door would like to do the right thing, and if they are kindly directed to what the right thing is, they will take it rather well.  It really is all in the delivery

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2010, 17:11:45 »
Can you specifically say what they told you that you CANT do?  I know some LFS will purposly NOT sell things to newbies (and good on them for protecting the livestock).

But this doesnt sound like an issue of would not sell.... I will tell you that you have a wealth of knowledge here on at Ohio Reef.  This community can educate and answer just about any question you could think up  :laugh:

Sometimes we run into people that are set that their way is the only way.  It may be one of the most successful (or smartest) way but there is a million ways to do anything.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2010, 17:35:23 »
.... yea, it would be nice to know what the shop-s said you can't do.  I have been in the hobby since the early 90's & I go to 1 local shop to ask him (& sometimes a friend in c'bus who has a store) if it's something that can, can't, shouldn't or whatever the answer is.  I do not know everything & I trust their opinion.  For me it's will this fish work in my tank with these other fish........  or is my tank to small to hold this fish .... so I take it as constructive criticism. 

I personally stopped shopping at Gerbers when John Gerber yelled at me across the store (& I was not the only person in there) about bringing someone in and letting him see my wholesale prices at the shop.  If I recall I purchased over $1000 of fish that day from him & that was my last time buying something.  I do stop by to see what they have (med sohal & xl sailfin tang look awesome) but I haven't purchased anything for a few years now. 

I do think Gerbers has improved and some of their employees do seem to know their stuff.......

300g tub o fish

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2010, 18:35:59 »
Can you specifically say what they told you that you CANT do?  I know some LFS will purposly NOT sell things to newbies (and good on them for protecting the livestock).

But this doesnt sound like an issue of would not sell.... I will tell you that you have a wealth of knowledge here on at Ohio Reef.  This community can educate and answer just about any question you could think up  :laugh:

Sometimes we run into people that are set that their way is the only way.  It may be one of the most successful (or smartest) way but there is a million ways to do anything.
i agree
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2010, 20:01:36 »
I completely agree that customer service should always be a priority with any business. My parents owned small businesses and the only thing we could offer over our competitors was knowledgeable friendly customer service. If we didn't give that, they would go elsewhere and who knows how much money could be lost. Ultimately, let your money do the talking after you bring up to the store why you're not going to shop there any longer.

Also, with the "You can't do that........" what were they referring to essentially?  Was it "you can't do that" because your a woman? Or was it "you can't do that" referring to putting a clown trigger into a reef? (or something along these lines) 

I tried to start dialogue on this very subject; negative experiences at our sponors/LFS. I started that thread for all members to see and for some reason it was moved to paid members area. ::) Well, basically it said you should talk to the vendor in private and give them a chance to make it up before you post anything, and even then you have to follow "rule #1". This rule along with the editing and deleting of posts will make it nearly impossible to post a negative experience with the sponor's store name attached to it. Gotta keep those sponors happy, or else they wont support the club because it could potentially hurt their bottom line because the word of mouth is the strongest advertisement. But, its a free-for-all when it comes to Gerbers and Jack's. Nice double standard if you ask me.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2010, 20:31:06 »
i have posted a negetive experience about coral pets ya they mite not like it  but they did fix the problem  word of mouth is good and bad
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 20:54:57 »
Actually, in my eyes your experience wasn't that negative. Learn to speak up.

Look at post #5 on your thread about Coral Pets. Also, we had a good year or so with post's being overly moderated with respect to editing and/or deleting and just within the last few weeks has things been more laxed on the boards. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 21:57:00 »
ya i seen   never said it was the worst iv ever had but i shouldnt have to try to get some one to take my money they should be trying to get me to speed my money there  iv been to gerbers  that would be the worst 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2010, 08:03:07 »
Maybe the local independent stores didn't care for this comment;

Quote:

March 30, 2009

"After reading the 'Experiences' forum, the best SW LFS is no longer open!!!"

That was an insult to the local aquarium shops, especially the shops that were / are sponsors to Ohio Reef.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2010, 09:26:01 »
yup
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2010, 16:01:32 »
ouch, that stings...

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2010, 17:11:12 »
Quote from March 31, 2009:

"I'm sorry to have suggested that the other stores weren't good! Not at all what I meant!

I had read the threads under "Experiences" and sooooo many people had soooooo many good things to say about them that I took that to mean they were one of the best and highly recommended.

I truly didn't mean to offend anyone!"

Offline Kenn

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2010, 17:44:10 »
Actually, in my eyes your experience wasn't that negative. Learn to speak up.

Look at post #5 on your thread about Coral Pets. Also, we had a good year or so with post's being overly moderated with respect to editing and/or deleting and just within the last few weeks has things been more laxed on the boards. 
Not meaning to Flame ya or anything, your comment just got me to post  my opinion  :) , but having been the admin \ operations director for MANY ( gosh I feel old ) years in major building material chains as well as a trainer. one of the hardest things to get thru to new employees is that the customer should never have to speak up.

If you open a business YOU are dependent on THEM. Not the other way around. It is you as the proprietor \ associate to acknowledge them ( even if its a glance and a smile ).

As the old saying goes " It can take years to build a loyal customer, and just a minute loose one"

If you choose to ignore this you should only be owning a web site and not a store front. You might even want someone else to run the site as well  :laugh:
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

lilleigh

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2010, 20:44:54 »
Not meaning to Flame ya or anything, your comment just got me to post  my opinion  :) , but having been the admin \ operations director for MANY ( gosh I feel old ) years in major building material chains as well as a trainer. one of the hardest things to get thru to new employees is that the customer should never have to speak up.

If you open a business YOU are dependent on THEM. Not the other way around. It is you as the proprietor \ associate to acknowledge them ( even if its a glance and a smile ).

As the old saying goes " It can take years to build a loyal customer, and just a minute loose one"

If you choose to ignore this you should only be owning a web site and not a store front. You might even want someone else to run the site as well  :laugh:

This is very true with some exceptions.

"Major" chains have the resources to have MANY CSR's. Small buisness's do not. So it can seem like there is a problem, when in reality resources are stretched thin. Not only that, but people (even the best sales person) have "off" days. Problems at home, stress at work etc...

So feel free to offend someone! Speak up, make sure you are heard! If you need help ask for it. I never walk into a store and expect someone to get down on their knees and beg for something to do. I walk right up to someone, and tell them what I need. This is from my experience training CSR's.

To the guy who had an issue with Coral Pets, you should have walked right up and asked for assistance. Problem solved. If then someone wouldn't help, then you have a problem.

Thats my two cents. :)

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2010, 20:56:29 »

"Major" chains have the resources to have MANY CSR's. Small buisness's do not. So it can seem like there is a problem, when in reality resources are stretched thin. Not only that, but people (even the best sales person) have "off" days. Problems at home, stress at work etc...

So feel free to offend someone! Speak up, make sure you are heard! If you need help ask for it. I never walk into a store and expect someone to get down on their knees and beg for something to do. I walk right up to someone, and tell them what I need. This is from my experience training CSR's.

To the guy who had an issue with Coral Pets, you should have walked right up and asked for assistance. Problem solved. If then someone wouldn't help, then you have a problem.

hmmm

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2010, 21:06:46 »
When it comes to customer service, in a nutshell, my aunt said it best.  "Treat your customers like they were your friends."  I hold that thinking when people come into my store.  I have worked my whole life in retail.  Mostly in smaller independent stores like my own, but in a few large chain stores too.  As said above, you have to base your experiences on at least a few encounters.  Especially with small business, where you deal with the same person/people.  Sometimes people have bad days, both on the customer and worker sides of the fence.  Sometimes, there is mis-communications.  

Anytime you get into a business that is busy, you have to wait a long time in line, or speak up.  If you go to Best Buy two days before Christmas, McDonald's at noon, a bar on Friday night, you are going to have to wait in line, or speak up to get served.  Those are businesses where people usually know what they want.  In a large chain store, do the conversations get in depth that often?  If they do, most people will edge in the conversation to ask a quick question like where something is.  In a specialty store, like a jewelry or reef store, where people ask questions, don't always know exactly what they want, and generally take more time, things go way slower per customer.  If someone is talking to me in length about something, most people won't mind someone butting in for a quick question like how much is something.  

I believe most businesses in the world try to do as much work with as little labor/workforce as possible.  So often times there is a thin line where you have employees with little or no work, and being too busy where customers have to wait.  Some times it is easy to predict when you are busy and slow.  

Generally the less mark up on items, the less service you receive.  There aren't tons of employees at Wal-Mart waiting on you hand and foot.  At the other extreme, a car dealer or jewelry store has employees waiting around for you to walk in.  Most businesses fall in the middle.   Many of the reef stores I have been to have been leaning more and more toward the Wal-Mart side of things in recent years.  Mainly because most people in the hobby are very price conscience, and the market is competitive.  I try to keep a balance.  On the weekends it is busy, and you might have to wait.  If you want to spend a lot of time browsing, and talking, you can come at night through the week, and get more one on one time.    

As far as a business like this, the owner and customer are dependent on each other.  The owner needs customers to buy their wares.  As the customer side you need the business to be there to get you the wares you want.  As a hobbyist, there were things I wanted in both products, and services from a reef store.  I wanted a wider selection (mainly acros), and when I wanted someone to order me some off the wall weird thing like a Lollipop Tunicate I couldn't find a store around here to do that.  Those are two of the main reasons I opened shop.  I have a "day job" and my reef store is my hobby gone wild.  I am not here at my store to put food on the table for my family.  I never wanted to open my store because I had the feeling it was something I needed to do.  I am here because I am a reefer, and want to serve other reefers.  When you come to my store, I hope you think that we are mutually benefiting each other in many ways.  Fellowship, knowledge, exchange of tangibles each other wants.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2010, 21:19:28 »
very well said
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2010, 21:43:12 »

Interesting ... however I respectfully disagree ... Having  a pool of CSR's is beneficial, looking at numbers. However you never have them all working at the same time, and they are not your major work force.they handle immediate problems, basically a manager without the benefits. your associates are the first line that meets the customer.

In our smaller business's where we are outside salesman driven, our showrooms could bring in 10 to 15 customers at once and 2 office personal can comfortable handle them all and answer phones. And these smaller business's generate over $3 million in sales a year.

Sure some can become impatient, however, it's not from being ignored. They simply don't like to wait.

All I am trying to say is that, no matter what business you are in, if it involves walk-in traffic, they are the reason you are a  business. Nothing else matters. If a customer walks in your door and you are with another customer, simply smile and acknowledge them. It goes a long way ... could you just imagine Joel SMILING at every customer that walked in  :o     :laugh: Just messing with ya Joel .. you know we think you wear a cape and were the original Aqua-Man !  :laugh:

and to everyone who knows me sorry for the soap boxing ... just needed something to do while we wait on my moms test results.

ALL the above is only my opinion ( and Dale Carnegie's ) and is humbly offered.

PEACE !

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2010, 21:45:44 »
I was at Coral Pets today and found them to have very good prices and I had to wait a little as they were busy. I never plan on being in a hurry when I go reef shopping as it has not worked well in the past and the weekends are even more of a wait in all the stores I have ever visited on the weekend. What I did like at Coral Pets during my observation is the owner was very patient and concentrated on the individual that he was waiting on and found this to be true when it was my turn to be waited on. I did get a few people budding in to ask about something now and then and have accepted this as the norm over the years. I will gladly wait a little longer for a frag that cost $10.00 here VS going to a store that has people just waiting to get you the same frag and charge you $25.00 (did I tell you I'm cheap also ;D)
I will be visiting Coral Pets!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2010, 21:52:33 »
If a customer walks in your door and you are with another customer, simply smile and acknowledge them. It goes a long way ... could you just imagine Joel SMILING at every customer that walked in       

very true
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2010, 22:13:13 »
...could you just imagine Joel SMILING at every customer that walked in...       

He has to learn how to first.

-OR-

He has to like his customers first.

;D ;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2010, 22:51:20 »
He has to learn how to first.

-OR-

He has to like his customers first.

;D ;D