2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New Saltwater Newbie  (Read 4214 times)

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
New Saltwater Newbie
« on: February 19, 2012, 20:17:01 »
Hi,

I'm new to the saltwater aquarium hobby. I technically started to setup my fish only aquarium yesterday. It's been 24 hours and I just added my live rock. I have waited since last night for the cloudy water to clear. As of now, it yet has to clear up. How long do I need to wait before I should see clear water?

Right when I initially filled my tank yesterday I added some driftwood to the water. My wife mentioned that the driftwood could be bad for the chemistry of the cycle. Can someone help me with these issues.
Thanks in advance,

Kenneth Sanchez /Beginning Aquarium Enthusiast

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: New Saltwater Newbie
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 21:18:38 »
I would not put drift wood in a saltwater setup. It would work against the necessary high PH  and could add nitrates and other undesireable things to the water.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 22:04:47 »
Steve,

I removed them. Am I out of harms way?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 22:28:30 »
If the driftwood was new, and not previously used in a tank that had copper dosed to it, you're probably fine.

One thing about saltwater tanks though- they take a lot longer to set up than a freshwater tank.

Don't expect the cycle to complete and be able to add anything for a solid month- at least not if you want to do it right.

Start testing your ammonia daily- and not just one of those ammonia badges or a dip strip, get a real test kit so that you can measure it. You'll want to see a spike in ammonia that then will start to come down, then nitrite will spike and then come down, and finally nitrate will come up then drop.

There's an axiom in this hobby- nothing good happens fast in a reef tank.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 23:44:10 »
But, if I'm not exactly setting up a fish only tank to start off.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 23:55:59 »
Well, if you ever decide to add corals, you won't be able to if you've used copper, or anything that's been in a tank that's been dosed with copper.

The first part of the cycle- ammonia and nitrite- are the same, regardless of whether you're setting up a FOWLR tank or a reef tank. If you're going with fish only, you don't have to wait til nitrates reach zero- under 20 or so is a good starting point. But that still will take time.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 08:53:03 »
...It's been 24 hours and I just added my live rock...

Did you actually add live rock (rock that has been in a saltwater system long enough to grow the organisms that make it "live") or did you add dry rock that will eventually turn into live rock? If you actually added live rock (and enough of it depending on tank size), you might be able to bypass some of the cycle or just have what we call a "mini cycle".

Jerry

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 15:13:25 »
i actually added 2 live rock yesterday along when I set the tank up I added other rock that was not live but for ornamental purposes,

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 15:20:48 »
You may want to consider adding some sand or rubble from someone's tank that is already established. You can also order things like GARF grunge and add it to your tank. It will add bacteria and pods and other ceatures to your tank.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 15:31:20 »
typical cycle times are 3-8weeks with the norm falling in the 4-6range... Just test reguraly during this period you will notice your ammonia increase, it should fall and when it does you should begin detecting nitrites, as they rise and begin to fall you wwill start to read nitrates... Then water changes till your nitrates are gone... once ammonia and nitrites read 0 and nitrate read <5ppm(for corals) or <20ppm(for fish only). you may begin adding your inhabitants...

It is not a bad idea to feed a small portion of food throughout the duration of the cycle to allow for a robust colony of bacteria to take care of excess nutrients that will be present once you add fish....

Feeding or adding ammonia to the tank will cause a "jump start" on the cycle process, but is not required....

Your driftwood will not only change the PH of the water, but it will also cause ammonia, which will then break down into nitrates as steve advised... I would shy away from it.

It's a wait game, but if you wait it out and do it right the first time, you will be setting yourself up with a good foundation to build on later....

No need to do waterchanges until your nitrates are high enough to give you a reading on your test.

The waterchange amount will be directly proportional to the nitrate reduction... for example if your tank has 10ppm of nitrates and you change out 20% of your tank water your nitrate count will drop by 2 after the water change and will read close to 8ppm.. This should help you determine how much to change when it comes time to add live stock... but you don't need to go over 50% on your water change at a time under normal circumstances unless something dramatic happens that you need to flush the system.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 15:39:14 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 18:23:50 »
I just did a water change. This is my second try at it.  What do you recommend I do next.  I also removed the live rocks and I have them sitting in a bucket of saltwater until after the 1st 24 hours.  Since I started over, my water is cloudy once again. Someone please tell me if I am missing something or if I am doing something wrong.

Thanks
Kenneth Sanchez /Beginning Aquarium Enthusiast 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 19:08:31 »
why did you do a water change and why did u take the rock out
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 19:12:59 »
Put your rocks back into your main tank.... Your water is cloudy from your sand and sediment either it is really fine or wasnt rinsed well enough... Either way it will settle just give it time....

Do you have a sump or anything of the like?

You shouldnt be doing a water change this early...I would wait until you have a good amout of nitrates before you do another water change... And try to keep your water change around 20%....
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 19:18:58 by Boonjob »
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 20:29:30 »
I went thru the same thing. & I am still fighting this. You have to have some kind of filter in the system. I have a filter sock on my outlet & I put a canister filter in the mix, just get faster results. Put some form of filtration on & don't touch it for a couple of days. Everytime I touch my tank it clouds. But it always settles. I had to just stop touching it.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 21:29:06 »
I went thru the same thing. & I am still fighting this. You have to have some kind of filter in the system. I have a filter sock on my outlet & I put a canister filter in the mix, just get faster results. Put some form of filtration on & don't touch it for a couple of days. Everytime I touch my tank it clouds. But it always settles. I had to just stop touching it.
U need to put a layer of heaver sand over what u have and the will fix your problems
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 21:48:33 »
I already changed the water and started over. Did I jump the gun? After a few hours my tank is clearing up. Please do not tell me I did a grave mistake.... :o ???

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 21:52:50 »
I already changed the water and started over. Did I jump the gun? After a few hours my tank is clearing up. Please do not tell me I did a grave mistake.... :o ???

not to bad but u did start all over it are u running a sump? If not that would be the first thing u should get
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 21:54:34 »
You're fine.. take a deep breath.

Things in marine tanks take time.

You've got about 4 weeks to plan things out. Sit back, start reading, and asking questions.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 21:55:59 »
Patience grasshopper slow down if you keep adding new water it will start the cycling process over again. Slow down and just give it some time, there has been some great info and suggestions givin already. You have to give this some time.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 21:58:14 »
Dont know how far away u r but u are more than welcome to check out my tank any time or u can to the meeting saterday
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 06:57:04 »
I am realizing that this will take some patience.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 06:58:18 »
I'm in Columbus, Indiana. I don't think I have a local group nearby.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 08:10:50 »
Looks like ur about 2 hours away
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 08:12:44 »
You are welcome here Kenneth but I am sure your local group would love to have you as well. http://indmas.org

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 08:44:45 »
Hmm. That's interesting... I'll check it out.