2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New Saltwater Newbie  (Read 4226 times)

Offline jeblin

• Adult
Re: New Saltwater Newbie
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 18:21:00 »
I'm in Columbus, Indiana. I don't think I have a local group nearby.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Ah....but you also have one of the best online vendors (and they just happen to be one of our sponsors) about 30 minutes from you with Premium Aquatics over in Indy. I don't know if they have open hours during the week, but they are open to the public on Saturday. Check out their website to get more info.

Jerry

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2012, 23:16:51 »
Hey Jerry,

Have the link?

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2012, 17:35:04 »
I have a question. I setup my FOWLR tank and I started the fishless cycle. My ammonia source is converting to nitrites within 2 - 4 hours at a time. My Nitrites are off the charts. Now, why are my nitrates showing 20-40 ppm? I've been at this since the 24th of February, 2012.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2012, 17:57:34 »
Shortcuts in a bottle tend to do more harm than good.. a cycle on a decently sized tank usually takes 3-4 weeks minimum.

You need time for the nitrifying bacteria to populate.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2012, 19:26:37 »
I'm already reaching the 1 month mark. Everything looks good. But, my nitrates.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2012, 19:32:07 »
Nitrates are the last stage of the typical cycle.    Nitrates need to be exported

1) Water Changes
2) Growing Macro Algae, then throwing out the excess Algae as it grows.

Natural chemical ways to remove Nitrate take a very long time (Several Months, my tank took about 6 months)   This type of bacteria grows in very low oxygen areas of the tank.   These areas are in the dense part of live rock, or what is called a Deep Sand Bed (DSB)    Deep sand beds are typically 6+" in depth.    This type of bacteria is the hardest to get going, and some never get it going.    Or at least not to the point where Nitrate is converted faster than it is generated.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
Re: Re: New Saltwater Newbie
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2012, 19:42:01 »
Nitrates are the last stage of the typical cycle.    Nitrates need to be exported

1) Water Changes
2) Growing Macro Algae, then throwing out the excess Algae as it grows.

Natural chemical ways to remove Nitrate take a very long time (Several Months, my tank took about 6 months)   This type of bacteria grows in very low oxygen areas of the tank.   These areas are in the dense part of live rock, or what is called a Deep Sand Bed (DSB)    Deep sand beds are typically 6+" in depth.    This type of bacteria is the hardest to get going, and some never get it going.    Or at least not to the point where Nitrate is converted faster than it is generated.
water changes will fix my dilema?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2012, 19:52:27 »
I would not do a water change until the ammonia and nitrites have got down to zero.    At that point do a water change.

If this is still a fishless cycle, make sure to keep adding your ammonia source, or that bacteria will die off.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 20:59:04 »
Hence the 'minimum' :)

Sounds like you have a healthy population of bacteria that convert ammonia -> nitrite. Next, nitrite should peak and then drop off as the bacteria that convert nitrite -> nitrate bloom. Then, if you have some deep pockets in your live rock, or a deep sand bed, you'll see nitrate peak and drop.

Though if this is a FOWLR, the nitrates coming down isn't as important as it is in a reef tank.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2012, 21:09:28 »
Now, whatif the nitrites have bottomed out already but continue to rise again when I feed it ammonia?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2012, 21:13:03 »
Now, whatif the nitrites have bottomed out already but continue to rise again when I feed it ammonia?

I'm not really sure, I don't do a fishless cycle.   If ammonia is zero, and Nitrites are starting to drop, I would add some starter fish.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2012, 21:17:09 »
If they dropped, but rise again, your cycle isn't complete. Could have just been a temporary drop.

Offline Sanchezkk

• Fry
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2012, 07:55:02 »
Here's my progress so far as of 0730 hrs on 03/23/2012

pH: 7.8
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 2.0ppm
Nitrates: 160ppm
Gravity/Salinity: 1.024

Finally some progress!