2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sea Chem Reef Salt  (Read 2858 times)

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Sea Chem Reef Salt
« on: March 20, 2009, 08:15:25 »
I know we talked a little about this salt a month ago, since then I know a couple of you came in and got some.  What do you think of it?  How does it stack up against what you were using?  Do you notice a difference, good or bad?
Rob

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
Re: Sea Chem Reef Salt
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:51 »
Hi, i was talking to the guy that owns Dixie reef, he told me since he has changed all his tanks to that salt that he and all hes sold it to say that they think its great and can SEE the diff, since they changed to it that they havent had to add any chem of any type for anything...

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 09:44:32 »
Hi, i was talking to the guy that owns Dixie reef, he told me since he has changed all his tanks to that salt that he and all hes sold it to say that they think its great and can SEE the diff, since they changed to it that they havent had to add any chem of any type for anything...

Not the same salt, Dodd uses Red Sea Coral Pro

Offline verper

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 20:04:57 »
I just finished my first bucket and am happy with the results.  I saw a steady decline in my tank while using RSCP and only decided to change because of Nikki's problems.  Changing salts has made a world of difference although I'm not sure the results are because of the Sea Chem or the lack of using RSCP.  One concern for me is that my buckets of Sea Chem are very low in Magnesium - around 1000-1050.  I have to add about 1500 ml of two part Mag to a 55 gallon mix to get it back into range.  Have you had any others tell you this?

Offline Rob

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 21:56:49 »
I have not heard of this issue, however, Jeff is a bit closer to this than I am.
Rob

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 22:19:45 »
My Sea Chem bucket was also very low in Magnesium.  It was low in everything else, but not nearly as bad as the magnesium.  I don't like how it leaves a nasty debris film on everything in the mixing container (brown calcium deposits....yuck!)  My tank is looking better, but I don't know if it's from the Sea Chem or not using RSCP.  My SeaChem bucket wasn't acceptable on any level...alk, ca, or mag.  But...it was higher than other salts I've been using lately (see my Great Salt project results.)

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2009, 09:18:54 »
Yeah, I am experiencing that nasty film coating also.  I have only used Sea Chem salt and kinda thought it is what just happens when mixing salt. ???? My soft corals are doing great and growing like made.  My other coral are in a holding pattern.  Want to try a different salt when I finish this bucket of Sea Chem.  Not sure which one to try at this point though.
One Day At A Time

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2009, 11:20:33 »
Reef Crystals and SeaChem both seem to mix nasty for me.  I've never had a problem with Instant Ocea or RSCP mixing like that.  I kinda wonder if RC and SC are making a nasty film from the calcium precipitation.  Both are supposed to be high in ca, but they aren't for me.  Next time, I'll test the Ca before letting it sit for 24 hours...and see where it compares after it makes the film.

Offline verper

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 12:26:52 »
I think that it is from the high calcium in the salt.

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 13:38:42 »
Reef Crystals and SeaChem both seem to mix nasty for me.  I've never had a problem with Instant Ocea or RSCP mixing like that.  I kinda wonder if RC and SC are making a nasty film from the calcium precipitation.  Both are supposed to be high in ca, but they aren't for me.  Next time, I'll test the Ca before letting it sit for 24 hours...and see where it compares after it makes the film.

I can almost bet it's from the high calcium.  At least that is what I am experiencing with Sea Chem.
One Day At A Time