2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Alkalinity dropping to around 7.4 repeatedly - ???  (Read 2263 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Alkalinity dropping to around 7.4 repeatedly - ???
« on: December 29, 2010, 22:30:57 »
Went on vacation for 4 days.  My Apex indicates no pH issues during this time - kept an eye on the graphs while I was gone. 8.26-8.3 during the day, 8.10-8.15 at nite. 

ATO water is pre-dosed RO to 8.8 dKH, 450 ppm calcium.  Uses about 1 gallon a day.

Got home tonight, and after cleaning the algae off of the glass, noted that the "wellsopyllia but by another name" had went through RTN after 1-2 weeks in the tank - all of which happened during the past 4 days.  Skeletal.

Checked params Christmas nite, alk had dropped to 7.6 after a check approx 1 week prev at 8.4 or so, so I dosed it back to 8.8 using the appropriate amount of Randy's Recipe #1 alk.

Got back tonight:

Sp Gr - 1.026-1.027
salinity - ~36ppt
ph - 8.24
nitrite - 0
ammonia - 0
nitrates - ~5ppm
calcium - 490 (!) ppm
mag - 1360 ppm
alk - 7.4

Going to dose it back up to 8.8 now over the next few hours.  I could really use some help from the experts.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Alkalinity dropping to around 7.4 repeatedly - ???
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 23:54:19 »
What is your Mag.   A Mag deficiency can lead to Alk Problems?

How are you dosing and measuring your topoff water?  Test kits are designed for Salt Water.    A swing from 8.4 to 7.6 over a week would probably not cause a Welsi to die.   And you need to resist the quick dose back up, take a couple of days to build it back up.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2010, 00:12:13 »
Mag is at 1360 ppm.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2010, 00:13:57 »
I am using Salifert kits to check alk and calcium of the RO water and pre-dosing it based on the online reef calculator.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2010, 00:14:52 »
Pre-dosing, alk of the RO water is at 0.9-1 dKH and the calcium is at 0.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2010, 07:04:10 »
This is an easy one. Not dosing enough Alk.

Adding your Alk (Soda Ash) to your top off water is not the best way to dose it but typically okay for short stents like a vacation. Your evaporation rate is going to change based on humidity level and therefore your dosage is going to change. As with all chemicals (Ca, Mag, Alk) You need to determine what your daily consumption of Alk is first. You can do that by dosing and testing daily and adjusting until it stays steady.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 20:39:19 »
This is an easy one. Not dosing enough Alk.

Adding your Alk (Soda Ash) to your top off water is not the best way to dose it but typically okay for short stents like a vacation. Your evaporation rate is going to change based on humidity level and therefore your dosage is going to change. As with all chemicals (Ca, Mag, Alk) You need to determine what your daily consumption of Alk is first. You can do that by dosing and testing daily and adjusting until it stays steady.

So what is next? Is it to dose that amount daily after that? And is there something that will/can change that specific amount needed daily? (I have found that I am not good at dosing) :-\
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 23:13:35 »
Peristaltic pumps are best for dosing 3 part.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2011, 19:45:56 »
It all sounds soo easy it scares me.

How much do those Drew's Doser Peristaltic Dosing Pumps cost?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 21:56:13 »
http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=Drew%27s+Doser+Peristaltic+Dosing+Pumps&l=1

Do you prefer the Drews over the BRS or visa-versa? And If I can swing two of these in the future can I call upon a reefing friend to help me set them up?
 :party0040:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 22:23:39 »
 I am sure both pumps are very similar. You know you can call me anytime Ray.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2011, 23:15:14 »
Thanx Lazylivin, If I have read it rite I will need two pumps. Or do they have a pump that will pump more than 1 line at once?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2011, 23:39:41 »
This particular pump is sold in singles however their are other options for 2, 3 or even  4 pumps but not in this price range.