2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Who uses an algae turf scrubber  (Read 3280 times)

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
Who uses an algae turf scrubber
« on: January 14, 2012, 02:02:17 »
It seems like this would work really well. I want to know how many of you use an algae turf scrubber and if you still use a refugium or protein skimmer or whatever else or do you just use the scrubber? I want to build one but want to see how others have used it and see how it worked for others. Thanks in advance for any input you may have.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Who uses an algae turf scrubber
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2012, 08:27:11 »
Hopefully Darin will chime in, he makes them.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2012, 12:06:19 »
I use a ATS, skimmer and fuge with macro. I dont get near the amount of skim-mate as i did before adding the ATS, but the skimmer does still pull out some of the extra organics. I like the combination of all three

Offline CoRaL[NaTe]81

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2012, 12:13:09 »
I am actually building one today all the research I have done I see they work great I will post my build tonight ...

Offline SapperChris

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2012, 21:23:09 »
I think this might be my next project. I've heard a lot of good thinks about them and no downside except more stuff to keep clean.
If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all.

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 21:29:50 »
I am actually building one today all the research I have done I see they work great I will post my build tonight ...

How did it go? I'm interested in seeing your build. I"ve been researching them the past month and I would like to start one too.. I'm thinking of using some cheapo 10W LEDs off eBay for the project. I'm regretting the purchase, but they were cheap, so oh well ($5). In retrospect, I think I should have bought 3W CREEs instead for the same price, but we'll see how they go when they get here from China (so maybe in a 2-3 weeks).

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 22:23:13 »
Right now leds are experimental. Im going to be building some with leds. You have to use specific leds and 3w are too bright. Im going to be building some demo sets soif you want to wait to see how they do before you spend any money, i would recommend it. But for now iw ould just stick with some 2700k 150w cfl's.

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:33:51 »
I've seen a few people use 3W LEDs on theirs online. I figured I would just bring mine down to 3W to reduce the heat and help increase the lifetime of the devices.

I have some warm and cool whites and from the spectrum, it should have enough blues and reds. I might order a couple of reds since as LEDs age, the phosphor goes bad and it'll start to increase in blue.

But if 3W is still too much, it's not too hard to bring it down even more.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 12:01:21 »
Warm and cool white leds have already been proven to not be as effective at growing an algae scrubber, but if it works out for you let people know on algaescrubber.net

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 13:18:59 »
That's actually where I got the idea from.. a guy built his with warm and cool whites.

But noted. Not saying it's optimal, but I wonder if anyone has done the 'effective' calculations. For instance, a CFL that is 150W is 'more' effective than 30W cool warm whites, but is it 5x more? Because if that's the case, I'm still drawing less power right?

Like I said, I'm still trying to learn about the ATS construction and the algae optimal growth part of it,... but while I haven't seen it, it wouldn't surprise me if smeone did a comparison of 150W CFL to 150W of LEDs (that's a lot of LEDs...).

If I can even have 1/4 the effectiveness and reduce the power draw by 1/5th, then it would still be a win right?

Also, I'm not opposed to adding some reds. The trick is also to turn the LED at minimum Vf, because the wavelengths will be slightly longer. It's also going to run cooler so the phosphors are more efficent (less blues) --- very slightly, but it'll still help. From there, I can use a cheap PWM and bring the power down to whatever wattage I need so it's not too intense.

The only worry is that cheapo eBay LEDs probably aren't going to be to spec anyway.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 13:26:22 »
The algae grows better inthe red spectrum. The reason behind a 150w cfl (thats 150w rated, not actuall consumption which is prob around 40-50w) is so that you are getting a lot of red spectrum intensity. You want some blue but not much, but those that use all red leds have been proven to have a lot better growth.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 16:05:19 »
Putting a scrubber onmy 180g. Getting close to starting a cycle.

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 13:24:04 »
Okay, well maybe I'll put some reds in then :)

I thought blues helped grow algae too? I remember reading alot about people who said not to use actinic bulbs on freshwater b/c all it grows is algae. Although I read in a hydroponics forum that blues help with leaf production. So it's all kinds of confusing.

I did put a 6500K and an actinic on my freshwater shrimp tank and algae is growing like crazy (I purposely did that). I turned it off now that I have all sorts of algae on it though.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 13:28:12 »
yes, from wht i have read that some blue does help grow but the best growth has been given with reder spectrum light. not saying that your idea wouldnt work, just letting you know what i have read. When i did my first algae scrubber i had a lot of 6500k lights because i use them in my house for everything, i used them and got good growth with them, but once i switched over to 2700k, there was a considerable difference in growth.

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2012, 12:06:15 »
Thanks for the tip. I'll make sure to order some red LEDs. I'll probably run a prototype with white LEDs since I have them on hand. I'm sure after I make it, I'll think of all the things I -should- have done (other than just the light).

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2012, 12:22:43 »
When I had mine going I used 2 150W cfl's in the 6700k spectrum, and I got mild growth, but I took Darin's advice and used a bulb closer to 3k the growth exploded, I went from having a partial spotted screen to full blown growth in just over a week... It was everywhere...  So 6-7k works... but imo 3k is sooo much better.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline sendthis

• Fry
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2012, 23:46:58 »
Just ordered some red LEDs in the 630nm and 660nm. I read 630nm might be 'good enough' and for some plants, might be more effective than the 660nm. Besides, I'm not very trusting of LED specs anyway.

Now I just have to figure out a setup...