2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Low dKh....Again...  (Read 1768 times)

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Low dKh....Again...
« on: February 21, 2012, 22:51:16 »
So I constantly struggle with a low dKh, and I believe it is what leads to my troubles with SPS.

Tonight,
Calcium 508
dKh 6.16
pH 8.17

I ordered some kalk mix and I am going to mix it up and add some to my ato to see if that helps raise things up a bit.  I also have a pH swing from about 7.98-8.25. 

Kalk should be here tomorrow, so we will see what happens.

On a side note, I am also going to be removing my biopellets and going back to gfo.  When I first started with them they all stated how they lowered phosphates.  Now everything says they lower nitrates and help with phosphates.  I still have some algae problems, and when I ran gfo I never had a problem.  Hopefully these couple fixes take care of the headaches.
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Low dKh....Again...
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 00:36:07 »
I seem to be having the same problem, although I can't call it chronic yet.  I've been mixing up a straight alk buffer and dripping it.  I'm hoping to use a dosing pump soon so I can be a little more accurate.

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2012, 07:21:24 »
 the PH isn't that big of a swing. is it low before lights are on? then raise ?

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2012, 08:04:06 »
For what is is worth, when running biopellets....you wanted your dKH on the low side, in the 7-8 range.    But 6 is too low.

What do yo have in your system that is taking up the ALK?    Check your Magnesium, if it is real low, that can cause Ca/Alk balance issues.