2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mantis Shrimp  (Read 4555 times)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Mantis Shrimp
« on: October 10, 2009, 23:44:36 »
Has anyone every kept one of these?

If so, how often and what do you feed one that is say an inch - inch and a half? Is this too small for fish or will the occasional snail/crab be the only option?

If its small can you keep a fish that is much larger in the tank, or would that be inadvisable?

Finally, if you stick your hand in the tank will it attack it?

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
Re: Mantis Shrimp
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 03:23:50 »
We get these in every once in awhile by request and most will eat any meaty foods (krill,silversides,mysis). We always keep them in a cubical by their self.They will go after large fish and your hand, not to eat but to protect it's self and it's cave.Some large fish will also go after them,triggers have a knack for killing and eating them.they are very interesting to watch

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 09:36:24 »
I was thinking about maybe getting one down the road. But if I cant have a CUC, or put my hand in the tank without the fear of having a finger split in two, This idea may be put on hold.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 12:23:14 »
i used to have fear of putting my hand in the tank when i had a niger trigger. he would lunge at me and i would flinch and splash out tank water. he drew blood one time, that was pleasant.

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 13:02:55 »
i used to have fear of putting my hand in the tank when i had a niger trigger. he would lunge at me and i would flinch and splash out tank water. he drew blood one time, that was pleasant.
I had a clown trigger that taught me to respect him  :laugh:

I saw a mantis for sale at Jacks in sugarcreek yesterday. Very interesting. I had never seen one other than in pictures.

BTW... If anyone needs frozen Mysis  Shrimp packs, Jacks is running buy one get one free.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 13:53:26 »
i used to think it was silly to shriek like a girl and laugh at others who do it... until i saw those teeth streaking towards me.

after looking at pictures of a mantis shrimp i would much rather deal with a triggers teeth all over again. i bet those things will strike faster than the trigger and do a greater amount of damage i.e. ripped flesh instead of pierced flesh

maybe in an aggresive FO setting. or maybe in a reef setting (in the calcium reactor) :P

they are stunning with their coloration but when i look at it i feel like i am being lured closer. "grandma what big teeth you have"

rupertswife

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 16:05:23 »
I have a beautifully colored medium sized lime green mantis, and strangely enough he bothers no one - at least thus far......I actually just put in three peppermint shrimp and he hasn't bothered them. I don't expect his model behavior to continue forever, and I will not put anything in the tank I am attached to =) but so far he's pretty much a chicken!

Offline atreis

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2009, 17:01:28 »
I had a mantis in my old tank that came with my rock.  It never bothered anything, although you certainly knew it was there from the occasional racket.  Another thing - shrimp have relatively short lifespans (about a year and a half for most), so even if it is a problem it'll take care of itself naturally in time.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2009, 17:25:56 »
lol... just wait it out :)

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2009, 19:02:54 »
After Youtubing and googling them i think im going to wait. there's pictures of people fingers getting split wide open. I was at Aquarium Etc once and Dan stuck a screw driver into the mantis holder and it immediately attacked it and sounded like it was going to split right through the screwdriver. I was Very cool looking, i think it was a Peacock Mantis.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2009, 19:50:39 »
we have had quite a few of them at the shop before some very shy and seemingly peaceful others that seem like the are out for blood. The ones that seem to hitch hike on the live rock always seemed to be the shy ones.
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Reefd Up

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 03:00:06 »
There are some smaller species of mantis that are less likely to harm you.  There's also the spearing-type of mantis rather than the punching-type.  So, instead of a broken bone, you'd only have a...well...nasty poke. 

My understanding is that you can have a CUC, but just be willing to replace it occassionally.  They'll kill & eat only when they're hungry...so a crab/snail every few days or so.

Mantis shrimps are also very sensitive to light.  They have highly specialized eyes that allow them to see polarized light (the only creature that can naturally as far as I know.)  So, you'll need a low light tank for them.  I think Smithii's are one of the very few that can tolerate high lighting.  Problem is, you'll rarely know what species you're getting.  Sure, peacocks are easy to tell, but very rarely do the distributers know what they have.  Also, the larger species of mantis can get VERY large.  Ever seen a full sized peacock?  Betcha won't want to go near it!!! 

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 08:19:07 »
I got a mantis shrimp from Slandis  heck almost 2 yrs ago (i think).  He live in his own 10 gallon aquarium... sometimes with lots of snails... other times with none.  At first he was very skiddish and hid alot.  no he is almost trained to know when he is going to get feed.  he comes out and starts searchign around when he hears the food hit the water.

i have a regular 10 gallon light on the tank and a hang on refigium for him.  3" deep sand bed and a nice pile of live rock so he could make his den.

the kids are scared of him but also love looking at him at the same time. 

when he passes on I will get another one.  easy to take care and the whooas and ahhhhs of family members when they see him, and when he eats is priceless.

rupertswife

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 11:51:27 »
@ Amstar - aren't you worried about him breaking the tank? How big is he? I've been warned never to keep them in a glass tank....I'm actually nervous about my bio-cube if mine gets any bigger.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 13:13:01 »
by the research I have done and found that in most cases the reasoning a mantis MAY break the glass is because they are burrowing into the sand and when the reach the bottom (the glass tank) they strike in attempts to go deeper.  I have put plexiglass along the bottom of the 10 gallon to stop any chance of the glass bottom being broken.  he is about 4-6" long.  as far as the sides.. no because he hardly comes out of his cave except to eat

rupertswife

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 11:10:44 »
Sounds reasonable. =)

rupertswife

« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2009, 10:41:56 »
Umm...yeah. I discovered mine is either a total chicken or I have one bad clown fish! LOL

I've been feeding the mantis krill, and recently saw frozen mullousk. Figured that would be a good diet variety for him, but the clown LOVES it! He snatches every piece that hits the tank, even if his mouth is already full. Last night, a good size piece actually got by the clown and ended up tucked just under the rock.

The mantis came sniffing out and almost had it, but the clown spotted him about to get it and actually nipped at the mantis chasing him off of the food! Score one for the clown!

The clown and the mantis are about the same size. I also have two peppermint shrimp in the tank the clown chases, and the mantis won't bother. So far the only thing the mantis has attacked are the four tiny blue leg hermits I put in there for him. Their shells were in pieces within a day or so.

I actually get concerned that he's getting enough to eat. Even the peppermints can steal food from him sometimes......what a chicken!

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2009, 12:47:49 »
your peppermints will one day no longer exist in that tank with a mantis in there. 

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 28, 2009, 13:05:32 »
Rupertswife- I think at the time being your mantis is a chicken and the clown is a bully. Last night when my lights turned on I watched my Vicious clown kill one of my hi fin gobys that he/she has been in the same tank with for over a year. "Clowns are just Damsels in fancy pajamas"- a line I heard at one of the local fish stores.

rupertswife

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2009, 13:47:38 »
LOL I expect every morning to find the peppermints gone, but there they are!

And the clown is something else! He attacks even the spoon I use to feed them with! When I do maintenance on the tank, I worry more about him than I do the mantis. Funny! Though I do know all that can change in an instant. Those mantis don't have a nasty reputation for no reason, and he is just a little lime green mantis. A peacock or larger one would have already cleared the tank out. =)

"Fancy pajamas" Huh? I think he just got a new name!

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 28, 2009, 17:23:43 »
Yea, they can be mean. When ever my hand is in the tank he nips at me continuously. To curb this I flick him with my finger lightly, not enough to hurt him, just enough to let him know im bigger and will come after him. After a few flicks he leaves me alone, but swims close to my hand.