2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anemone floating?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
Anemone floating?
« on: May 21, 2013, 16:36:09 »
The anemone I purchased Saturday acclimated great and attached straight to a rock. Last night I decided to feed him a piece of raw shrimp from the store and he ate it without hesitation. About a half hour later he started floating around thetank. I shut my power head off and stuck him in a corner so he didn't hurt himself. His color still looks great. Any thoughts?

Offline Travis8896

Re: Anemone floating?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2013, 18:11:26 »
This guy had a similar problem but the nem ended up dying but budded a new foot that grow a new nem
its kinda a neat article just to read
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-03/nftt/index.php
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Sonic

• Fry
Anemone floating?
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 19:39:33 »

The anemone I purchased Saturday acclimated great and attached straight to a rock. Last night I decided to feed him a piece of raw shrimp from the store and he ate it without hesitation. About a half hour later he started floating around thetank. I shut my power head off and stuck him in a corner so he didn't hurt himself. His color still looks great. Any thoughts?

Probably just finding its happy place. Perfectly normal. Just try to prevent it getting sucked into a power head. I put pantyhose over mine (leaving the front open) for the time the nem was roaming. Just make sure to clean the panty hose every so often so that all the stuff in them doesn't just sit there and break down.

S.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2013, 19:50:35 »
Cool article. The foot looks perfectly fine and he still has great color though.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2013, 20:16:13 »
Ok that's a good sign and I thought the article was just to interesting not to post
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2013, 20:56:48 »
Yea I agree. It was a good read. Thanks!

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2013, 21:12:17 »
Np not sure if it helped much lol

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2013, 21:49:19 »
Nems can be a pain in the ass and you just have to let it find a spot and be happy. A month from now it might decide to move again and you do it all over. I had one blow up like a balloon once and float through the tank.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2013, 00:34:02 »
Still floating away tonight after work. Guess I'll just have to keep an eye on him and hope for the best.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2013, 10:01:29 »
Did you properly acclimate the nem, as in dimming the light and slowly bring them back up?  You lighting was pretty intense, I'm betting he's not happy and looking for a darker part of your tank, hence why he's floating and not walking.  I would use the window screen method to acclimate him over the next few weeks.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2013, 15:59:20 »
Thanks Scott. I think you might be on to something. I remember reading something about doing that and I completely forgot about it. I propped the hood up with some Styrofoam before work so some of the light will spill out the front ofthe tank. I'll look into getting some screen. Maybe I'll just put him in the 75 so he can crawl behind therocks for awhile. What do you think about that idea?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2013, 16:30:18 »
either way he needs to be properly acclimated otherwise your going to wind up with a bleached and dying nem.  Multiple layers of windows screen are best, remove a layer every 4 to 5 days to properly acclimate.  If it's still floating around the tank and hasn't set it's foot you need to keep a close eye on it as it can't live like that forever.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2013, 18:37:33 »
Yea.. guess I have to learn somehow.  :'( I've been keeping a close eye on him. I will see if I can find some screen tonight after work which isn't until midnight. Im going to text my dad and see if he has any.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2013, 20:58:02 »
My dad has a roll of screen so I'm heading over to get it after work. I hope the little guy is OK till then. How many layers should I use. I'll Google it. Just wondering.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2013, 03:06:28 »
I got the screen on the tank tonight. I read that 3 layers is what is recommended. Ill leave 3 pieces on there until he attaches. I really hope he does. Then remove them in 5 day intervals, or week intervals. I can't believe how dark the tank looks.

I moved the sps to the 75 as water parameters still look great. Its just the 2 nems, the clam, clownfish, and shrimp. I didn't have this problem with the baby RBTA and it makes sense as I got him from an established tank. I want to move the clam to ensure he has enough light but I don't know if I should just yet. Any suggestions there?

The anemone I'm attempting to acclimate still has great color and his mouth is shut ,but he has a small tare on his foot.  Probably from blowing around. I still have the powerhead shut off. I'm going to avoid doing a water change today to keep from stressing it more.

Here's some pictures for you guys.

If you have any suggestions please let me know.

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2013, 03:32:49 »
What about putting a rock, gently, on either side of the nem? He might attach to them.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2013, 04:25:15 »
Good thought. I'll try and move some rocks around him. Although it's a long tentacle anemone and everything I read says they prefer to anchor in the sand.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2013, 07:59:03 »
If that's a bubble tip, it's not in very good shape as it's already heavily bleached.  Try to tuck him under a ledge in a shaded area....once he settles in he'll move out if he needs more light.

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2013, 08:19:29 »
the rocks may keep it from rolling around whether it attaches to them or not. I'd even go as far as stacking them up a little so the current won't left it out from between the rocks.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2013, 12:46:27 »
If that's a bubble tip, it's not in very good shape as it's already heavily bleached.  Try to tuck him under a ledge in a shaded area....once he settles in he'll move out if he needs more light.

Its a long tentacle anemone. The other one I have is a bubble tip. Sorry for the confusion.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2013, 00:56:06 »
Made a cave out of the rocks around the nem. His mouth is a little open tonight and he has not set his foot yet. I'm really hoping he comes around.

A picture of the cave.