2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: High calcium readings  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
High calcium readings
« on: March 17, 2009, 16:20:27 »
My calcium level is at 540 two weeks in a row.  I am not dosing with anything.  Is there any reason to worry about this level?  What can I do to get it down if need be?  Thanks.
One Day At A Time

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
Re: High calcium readings
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 16:29:04 »
water changes will bring it down
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 16:41:41 »
Just did that last week and the nest day got the same reading.  I will be doing a water change tomorrow.  Will check this time right after water change then the day after. 
One Day At A Time

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2009, 16:43:57 »
you may want to check you water with a different test kit just to make sure yours didnt go bad.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2009, 17:34:45 »
What test kit are you using? Have you supplemented calcium in the past? What is the CA level of the new water your using for water changes?

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2009, 21:17:25 »
What test kit are you using? Have you supplemented calcium in the past? What is the CA level of the new water your using for water changes?

API.  Yes I have in the past but not in over a month.  Just got haven't made RO/DI water yet will do over night and will check everything later tomorrow and Thursday to see where things are.
One Day At A Time

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 20:07:12 »
I mixed some Ro/DI water and tested it.  It tested at 480.  I am using Sea Chem Reef Salt.  This still doesn't explain why my clacium is level is up.  Hey Joel what is a good calicum test kit that I can purchase?  Using API??? Thought it was pretty repretiable??? 
One Day At A Time

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2009, 08:03:51 »
I mixed some Ro/DI water and tested it.  It tested at 480.  I am using Sea Chem Reef Salt.  This still doesn't explain why my clacium is level is up.  Hey Joel what is a good calicum test kit that I can purchase?  Using API??? Thought it was pretty repretiable??? 

If by API you mean Aquarium Pharmaceuticals brand, I'm not a fan. I years ago used their test kits and found them to be faulty. The quality of their tests may have improved since then but I have not heard anyone bragging about them either.

For the money, Salifert is hard to beat. LaMotte and Dupla are really nice too.

I sell the Salifert but I am, and have been out of stock of the Calcium test for a while now. As good as Salifert is, they are not real good about filling orders, regularly there seems to be a shortage of their products.

I'd suspect that since you have two different readings between your tank water's value and your ro/di waters value, it probably is correct or at least high. A possible cause is that because your tank is new, the fresh aragonite substrate can be increasing the ca values.

Might be a thought to use a salt with a lower ca value such as Instant ocean. Sea Chem's 480 value is not significantly lower than the tanks 540. I would compare this to adding a calcium supplement when you don't need it.

Has this affected your alk value as well?

Your welcome to bring me some water to compare test kit results. I have a Salifert CA test kit I use at the shop and can test. Just do this on Friday or Saturday when I or Justin is there.

Offline Dstyles

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2009, 09:30:41 »
"Your welcome to bring me some water to compare test kit results. I have a Salifert CA test kit I use at the shop and can test. Just do this on Friday or Saturday when I or Justin is there."
How much water do I need to bring in with me?
One Day At A Time

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2009, 09:54:49 »
"
How much water do I need to bring in with me?
[/quote]

About a cup will do