2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: diy sump setup?  (Read 3054 times)

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
diy sump setup?
« on: October 25, 2009, 11:25:31 »
Anyone have any suggestions on what brands to use? I have seen the $20 dollars stuff at jack's and all the different kinds at Lowes and Home depot. I'm just curious because I am starting to section out my 20g for a sump.
Thanks,
Garry
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: diy sump setup?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2009, 12:14:48 »
I would not use a sump that Jack's sells.   Make your own out of a glass tank.   Melev's reef has alot of different designs to look at.   

http://www.melevsreef.com/29g/sump/design.html

What are you going to have in your sump?
1) Internal, or Hang on Skimmer?
2) Internal or external sump?
3) Lit zone for Macro Algea?

Then start laying them in.  Make sure you make your sump easy to clean, as detritus buildup in the sump needs cleaned.

Offline wolfeden3

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2009, 15:11:09 »
I guess I should have been more specific! What kind or brand of silicone to use for my chamber separators?
I already have a 20g glass tank to use for my sump. Yes I plan on having a section for a bubble trap and one for macro algae.  I have seen a couple different brands that say they release ammonia while curing! But just figured maybe i could get a lead on a good brand instead of paying $20 for the one from Jack's.

Thanks,
Garry

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 16:04:31 »
I've always just used GE silicone 1. Its about $5 a tube. I wouldn't trust it to hold a tank together but it works well for baffles.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 16:04:58 »
The silicone that you need is GE Silicone I. NOT GE Silicone II. You can get it at Lowe's or Home Depot and sometimes Walmart.

Offline wolfeden3

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 19:30:05 »
kool thanks for the info guys! ;D

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2009, 07:53:01 »
GE type 1 silicone will hold an aquarium together just fine. The 1600 gallon & 560 gallon reef glass aquariums I built at my original shop location was held together with it. I have built many aquariums using this brand - very good stuff. It is important to have vary clean and straight mating edges when siliconing tanks together otherwise problems (leaks) can happen. Use a razor blad and white distilled vinegar to clean all the surfaces to be matted together. Use plain, dull (not shiny) news paper as a rag to wipe the surfaces off with - no rags or paper towels. The expensive silicone sold at the local pet shop is made by Dap, Dow or GE and is the same product found in the hardware store but packaged for aquarium use. Your paying a bunch of extra money for packaging.

Using silicone with acrylic is not the best option. If an acrylic panel is being siliconed into a glass aquarium, the silicone will not adhere to the acrylic very well. If there is no pressure being put on the acrylic baffle it should be fine but if the baffle is holding back a deep sand bed, the weight and pressure of the sand may cause the weak bond between the silicone and the acrylic to fail.

Using all glass baffles in a glass aquarium is a better option.

Joel

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2009, 10:33:13 »
Using silicone with acrylic is not the best option. If an acrylic panel is being siliconed into a glass aquarium, the silicone will not adhere to the acrylic very well. If there is no pressure being put on the acrylic baffle it should be fine but if the baffle is holding back a deep sand bed, the weight and pressure of the sand may cause the weak bond between the silicone and the acrylic to fail.

Using all glass baffles in a glass aquarium is a better option.

Joel

Lowes in Troy sells glass panels pre-cut, that fit a 20G long tank also. They are cut perfect.