2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mj mod from our great sponsers at fins depot  (Read 2712 times)

Offline saltybuckeye

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Mj mod from our great sponsers at fins depot
« on: November 06, 2007, 11:13:32 »
I was thinking of adding another seio or korilia pump for some more flow in my tank and started reading about the maxi mods.I have an extra maxi 400 from an old u.v. sterilizer so I tried to make my own but I couldn't get it to work.I don't know if it was because the magnet is so small on the 400 that everything has to be perfect or what,but it wouldn't stay running.So I had a 5 dollar coupon for fins depot  and wanted to try and buy from a sponsor. They have the Sure Flow 1600 kit on sale and with the coupon I got it shipped (and the next day I might add)for $19 and some change.It is very well built and comes with a mounting adapter for a magnet.I put it on my little maxi jet 400(I think they are rated for around 200 gph maybe less) and it now will compete with my seio 820.I think it is pushing more water and alot wider of a current.I would definately recomend this if you have any maxi jets laying around or even buying both the pump and the mod.I tried to take some picts and a video to show them.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Mj mod from our great sponsers at fins depot
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2007, 12:32:56 »
Nice. I read somewhere that people that had done the mod early on were starting to have problems with the pumps wearing out. Let us know how it does long term.

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2007, 18:47:17 »
Nice, I was thinking about one of those as I have a few mj's laying around also.  One of them I did the DIY mod that didn't last too long.

How did you mount it?  The magnet they sell plus the cost of the kit is close to $40 together.

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2007, 10:27:46 »
I just temporarily zip tied it to an extra mag float i had laying around.I don't want to do anything permanent yet.

Offline satch12

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2007, 00:10:27 »
nice  mod let me know how it does in the long run...like gary i also herd that in the long run that the motor tends to burn out...have you ever tried drilling holes in the bottom of it and cutting the spout thats what i did and it gets great flow and i have had no problems...