2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: For all of the Car Guys/Gals...  (Read 350 times)

MechanicalEngineer

For all of the Car Guys/Gals...
« on: November 26, 2008, 13:37:48 »
Think of this as "Think of a Car Part III"...

I have a 1989 Ford Mustang GT with 254,000 miles on it (you read that correctly.)  The transmission was rebuilt about 6000 miles ago (10 months...about 3 oil changes I believe.) 

I did an oil change...and the oil drain plug directly below the engine (there are two drains on my car...one below the engine and one closer to the tranny) was covered in metal.  I've never seen any metal before...and I've cut open the filter a few times to check. 

Before I freak out any more than I already am, I was planning to have a spectrometric oil analysis performed on the car (SOAP...the P is for Program if I remember right.)  Does anyone know a place locally that does this?  Tire Kingdom on Woodman used to, but they've been bought out at least twice now.  I'm not sure they still have their machine.  Anywhere else y'all know? 

Sad, sad day.   :'( :'( :'(

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
Re: For all of the Car Guys/Gals...
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 22:25:39 »
Pm me if you decide to get rid of it. I'd be interested if its clean

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 22:41:40 »
Ha.  Funny.  You couldn't rip that car from my cold dead hands. 

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 23:29:20 »
I THINK THAT ANY WYNN'S {OIL TREATMENT ALONG WITH MAY OTHER AUTOMOTIVE TREATMENTS} RETAILER HAS THAT EQUIMENT. I WILL CHECK WITH A FEW PEOPLE I KNOW THAT OWN GARAGES TO MAKE SURE. BUT IT WON'T BE UNTIL MONDAY WITH THE HOLIDAY WEEKEND.

NO WONDER IT LOOKED LIKE YOU HAD BEEN CRYING :laugh:

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 23:42:04 »
Ha.  Funny.  You couldn't rip that car from my cold dead hands. 

LOL Mustangs Rock!!!

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 23:53:59 »
Yeah...I don't care what happens to that car...she's not going anywhere.  I bought her for $1300...7 years ago.  I've spent a little more than that fixing her up...maintenance and transmission stuff.  After the wedding (when I actually have money again), she's going into the garage to be restored.  So, sorry if I was rude, but man...I hate the thought of parting with her.  (Oh yeah, her name is Nadia...comes from the word, "nadir"...which is the lowest point. Long story on that.)  :)  Anyway, I've been saying no to offers on that car about once every week or two for the past 7 years.  Nothing is changing b/c I found a little metal in the oil.  If anything, that gives me incentive to get her restored.  :D

Thanks Dodd.  I hadn't heard of Wynn's before.  If you don't get a chance to look into it, I will.  I just want to know where that metal is coming from...that'll give me an idea of what's going wrong.  I kinda need to know if she'll last another year.  LOL.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2008, 23:56:28 by Reef'd Up »