2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Purple SPS growth  (Read 3891 times)

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
Purple SPS growth
« on: December 06, 2011, 21:40:17 »
Not exactly sure what this guy is, but it's growing.. :)

7/17/2010

Today

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
Re: Purple SPS growth
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 21:44:11 »
Looks like a pocillipora
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 22:06:48 »
Not a pocillipora (wrong branch size- I had a monster head of that I gave to a friend), don't think it's a stylophora..

This was my garden variety pocillipora.. small branches..

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 22:15:25 »
Sure looks like a stylophora.    Could be a Montipora Digitata, but they are normally a little more branching.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 22:29:16 »
Under the scope, you can see that the coralite arrangement is all wrong for a stylophora. I need to find who I last loaned my AIMS coral CD to so that I can look it up again.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 22:39:08 »
looks cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 22:43:41 »
How about a Purple Porites? 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 22:46:08 »
Looks very similar to the ORA Purple Stylophora.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 22:49:17 »
It is stylophora pistillata.  Absolutely no frickin' doubt.  I had a maricultured one I'd ordered special.  It's now sleepin' with the Clorox. :(
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 23:00:12 »
Nope, the coralites have no well-defined septa.

Go to this link and scroll to the last picture on the right.

http://coral.aims.gov.au/speciesPages/species_metadata/0345/view#

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2011, 09:08:24 »
It's a stylophora

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #11 on: December 07, 2011, 09:12:40 »
It's a stylophora

Then it's a whole new species not known to science!

Seriously, though. I bleached a piece of this and checked it out under the scope. It does not match any of the stylophora species.

It does not have radial primary septa, nor any secondary septa.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #12 on: December 07, 2011, 09:44:00 »
Its a Stylophora, there are different types, but that shows the characteristics of the species. The main Characteristic having rounded branches with blunt ends. Heres a good place to see if it can be identified with what you have concluded with your microscope. http://coral.aims.gov.au/speciesPages/species_metadata/0345/view

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2011, 09:57:05 »
Yup, the AIMS site is based on Venon's books (massive tomes, 3 volumes, if I recall.) Venon is the definitive reference, at this point.

AIMS used to put out a Coral ID CD that has a nice interface for identifying corals, and it walks you through a series of multiple choice questions ("e.g. is the coral branching, flabello-meandroid, or encrusting?", "Are the coralites hooded, impressed, or evenly raised?", etc) and with each question you answer, the possible corals it could be diminishes.

Unfortunately I loaned out my CD a while back, and I need to chase it down.

But the coral ID site lets you browse the same data, albeit in a not-as-nice interface.

If you read the entries for all of the stylophora species (go to http://coral.aims.gov.au/speciesPages/ and click on 'stylophora' then pick one of the seven identified species)-- one of the defining characteristics of the coral is that they all have six septa in each coralite. So when viewed under the microscope, each polyp skeleton should have six spikes (septa) pointing to the center of the polyp.

This doesn't, so it's not stylophora.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #14 on: December 07, 2011, 10:05:44 »
Under Stylophora pistillata it says sometimes 6, so possible no?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2011, 10:10:30 »
Well, the 'sometimes' is for 6 secondary..

Colonies are branching with blunt-ended branches becoming thick and submassive. Corallites are immersed, conical or hooded. They have a solid style-like columella, six primary septa which may be short or fused with the columella, and sometimes six short secondary septa. The coenosteum is covered by fine spinules.

Branching? Yep.
Blunt-ended branches becoming thick and submassive? Yep.
Coralites immersed? Yep.
Six primary septa? Nope. Not even short ones.
Optional six secondary septa? Nope.
Coenosteum covered in fine spinules? Nope.

eta: Added a large picture of s.pistillata skeleton.

eta2: Here's a link on the different parts of a coral, if anyone's interested- http://www.agrra.org/background/coralback1.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 10:21:37 by Ashlar »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 10:21:00 »
it was kind of hard to tell in your picture of your bleached coral but i thought the top right hole was showing some deteriorated septas, but i must be wrong. Guess i'll have to look around because im interested in knowing. Though, at least the general characteristic helps narrow it down.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 10:29:04 »
Yeah, my picture wasn't the best. I'll see if I still have the bleached sample laying around.

The other candidate that I seem to recall was m.digitata..

Colonies are digitate or arborescent with anastomosing upright branches. Corallites are immersed and small, especially in colonies from shallow water. The coenosteum is smooth.

Arborescent (tree-like)? Yep.
Anastomosing branches (they separate then join back together)? Yep.
Coralites immersed? Yep.
Coenosteum smooth? Yep. ('smooth' in this case being having no well defined spicules.)

Compare the photo I posted earlier to this-

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 10:51:13 »
that does seem more similar. maybe then you have found your coral. Any other types similar?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 11:05:20 »
I can't recall at the moment.

The CD helps you narrow it down to two or three species, then you have to make a determination.

Here's a dirty little secret that a coral biologist will tell you if you ply him/her with enough alcohol..

Sometimes you have to guess. The descriptions and determining factors between some corals (especially acropora sp.) overlap.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 11:10:28 »
yeah i have noticed that with many corals, they look so similar to the eye and unless you have a micro, you just have to make an educated guess and/or hope where you got the coral from, they havent got anything mixed up.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 11:21:33 »
Well, another big determining factor that the CD asks that we can rarely answer with any certainty is - 'where did the coral come from?' (geographically).

Eric Borneman did a presentation for our club a couple years ago, and he has some amazing pictures- side by sides of two corals that look exactly the same in a tank and are totally different species from different sides of the planet, and two corals that look nothing alike that are the same species (growth form was affected by where it grew.)

That's why this whole business of identifying stony corals (especially acropora) via pictures on the internet makes me giggle.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2011, 11:51:22 »
That's why this whole business of identifying stony corals (especially acropora) via pictures on the internet makes me giggle.

Sometimes you can only do your best with the data supplied to you, somtimes its just a picture.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2011, 12:00:28 »
*nod* But I've seen multi-page flame wars over a.something vs a.somethingelse -- when there's no way to make a distinction without a skeleton, and sometimes not even then.

I think a lot of the self-proclaimed experts need to be taken down a peg or two. Especially when the identification of species is used to justify care requirements that could kill a specimen- e.g., "Oh that's a deep water acro, put it in the shade.."