2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: proposed bill to reclassify status on certain species of corals.  (Read 1520 times)

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Brent McCloskey

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
Re: proposed bill to reclassify status on certain species of corals.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 17:43:34 »
Reading up, this was put off for 6 months.  Scary thought though, would basically kill the hobby, wouldn't it? 

http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/permits/corals.htm

~rayk~

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 04:18:59 »
For the companies that collect they're own, it'd definitely make an impact on them. Dunno about aquacultured corals tho.
Brent McCloskey

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2013, 09:28:48 »
Oh, well, it says it is illegal to own, trade, transport, etc. etc. any of these "endangered" animals.   That's the way it works for any endangered animals, which makes sense for mammals/reptiles.  If it is also illegal to own them, the collectors won't bother.  Doesn't make quite as much sense for corals that can be propagated in a home aquarium with good success. 

I've also read several threads that said this entire proposal came from an Environmental group in Arizona and is based on one study that may be a bit faulty.   As somebody who has studied a little bit on global warming, it would not be inconsistent to use science incorrectly to get the answer they want.   Its not real hard to poke holes all over the global warming 'data', takes about 30 minutes of web research.   Weather stations that were once in the middle of a field, but then they built the parking lot around it, so now it gets the heat from the pavement.  The fact that we didn't have enough weather stations prior to the 1960s to ever make the computer models work, i.e. not enough data points.   The interesting point that none of the computer models work.  If you plug in the data from years ago and try to predict today, they are off by 3 to 5 degrees.   etc etc.

Just a bit scary, as I'm trying to debate whether to shut down my system or try to make it coral ready again.  Well at least I haven't ordered any LEDs yet to replace my 2 year old 400 W MH bulb.

~rayk~