2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lymphocystis on Moorish Idol  (Read 6460 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Lymphocystis on Moorish Idol
« on: December 18, 2011, 12:07:08 »
I got the fish on 11/21. (26 days ago). Immediately placed the fish in hypo-salinity at 1.008 Salinity. The fish had no sign of sickness, I just do it as a precaution. Anyway as with most Idol's it took about 5 days to start eating. It is eating with increasing enthusiasm every day. It's gut is starting to fill out nicely. There is however what looked initially like ich (which didn't make sense being in hypo) and has developed into something more. It started off with some spots that looked to be under the skin and has increased in size to what is now outside of the skin. The first ones have gotten larger and looks like cauliflower. The fish has never once rubbed/scratched or shown any sign of stress. I took some pictures last night and the larger ones that looked like cauliflower almost looks like a grouping of small eggs. I sent the pictures over to Fenner and crew at wetwebmedia and they responded back with environmental/viral condition called Lymphocystis which is not contagious or typically harmful and should clear up on it's own. They fish is also together with 2 wrasses, forktail blenny and a goby. None of which have had any signs of sickness.

[/quote]

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Re: Lymposysis on Moorish Idol
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:15:20 »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
Re: Lymphocystis on Moorish Idol
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:06 »
oops, the other link didnt post wit hthe first. In the other article i was linking, it said to separate it form the other fish till it goes away. The virus can spread by contact and other forms and can infect many species. Though it is not a major threat, depending on where they get the virus it can cause them to stop breathing and or even eating.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 12:42:48 »
Yes if the fish develop it in the gills or in/around the mouth it could be a problem and would require surgery. It is not a good start to such a sensitive species of fish that already has high mortality rate in aquarium. Poor conditions trigger it. i.e. being pulled out of the ocean, sitting in a ammonia laden bag for a couple days then moved to a 30g tank and not eating well I am sure major contributors.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 12:44:51 »
forgot to mention also that usually that virus isnt what kills the fish but opens them up to bacterial infections which can kill it and other fish as well...

That was my word of caution

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 12:50:45 »
What is your recommendation Darin?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 13:00:39 »
I would quarentine him again, dose with an antibacterial solution or feed it foods to help boost it's immune system (garlic, etc) so that you dont destroy the bacterial grown in your QT, keep an eye on the parameters of the tank and do water changes as needed. Just to make sure none of your other fish get infected or exposed to other bacterial infections till the disease resides or shows signs of decreasing.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2011, 13:10:06 »
It has been in QT since 11/21 so no problem there. I have tried selcon in the food but it refuse to eat any food with it in there. Probably tastes bad. Even tried a bit of garlic with the selcon but it still doesn't like it. It is eating sponge, mysis, brine and it's favorite seems to be nori. It snacks on that all day. Haven't been able to get it to eat spectrum pellets yet which is what Bob Fenner recommends as their staple.  Water parameters are good.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2011, 13:20:40 »
Keep me posted on what happens and if you can eventually get the Idol to consume any of the garlic/Selco. I havent seen this in person but ran across those articles some time back when i was looking for a database of fish diseases. Interested in knowhing how things turn out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2011, 13:30:08 »
Will do.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2011, 13:58:51 »
I had some kind of white growth like that develop on my yellow tang when i first got it.  The recommendation from Joel was to keep it happy and it will probably clear up.  It did and had no problems since.  Mine was in one spot that grew to the size of a pea, then fell off.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2011, 21:22:53 »
good luck brian hope he pulls out they are some great looken fish
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2011, 23:52:16 »
Yeah, that's a "danged if you do, danged if you don't" kind of situation.

The best way to remove stress is likely to put him in your reef where he has room to move and things to pick, but you risk exposing your other fish to it.

Were it me, I'd probably risk it, assuming I had a pretty peaceful tank otherwise. Or at least attempt it and if the stress level in the tank spikes, get him out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2011, 00:19:58 »
I was thinking the same Ashlar. Since stress is such a contributing factor I would really like to get him out of Quarantine. It is at the 28 day mark now. Considering going a couple more days before starting to raise salinity.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2011, 09:00:31 »
I caught the fish last night and using a wet Brillo pad gently wiped each side of the fish. It came right off. I can still see more spots developing in quite a few places under the skin. After that I let the fish sit in some paraguard for about 2 minutes. It was freaking out so I didn't do the full hour per the instructions. As soon as I put back in tank it was immediately calm and start searching for food like nothing happend.

What do you think, it has been 30 days. Should I keep in quarantine for another couple weeks or begin rasing salinty and move to display tank?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2011, 09:54:50 »
If there arent any noticeable spots on the other fish, i would remove the Idol to another QT and start rasing the salinity. Maybe give the Idol another week in QT to see how the other spots develope. Then raise the Idols salinity, i think he should be ok.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2011, 11:27:39 »
I caught the fish last night and using a wet Brillo pad gently wiped each side of the fish. It came right off. I can still see more spots developing in quite a few places under the skin. After that I let the fish sit in some paraguard for about 2 minutes. It was freaking out so I didn't do the full hour per the instructions. As soon as I put back in tank it was immediately calm and start searching for food like nothing happend.

What do you think, it has been 30 days. Should I keep in quarantine for another couple weeks or begin rasing salinty and move to display tank?

Weigh the pros and cons... Risk losing 1 fish due to stress and not having it in your display tank for a while longer.  Or risk losing all your fish...

Logically the choice seems basic enough, but all in life is not based on logic...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2011, 18:36:44 »
i would move the other fish and keep the idol in qt for a few more weeks
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2011, 19:22:07 »
Unfortunately I only have one QT.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2011, 20:02:08 »
ok wounder if u brought it back to normal and than moved ur all but the idol over to the main tank tand keep an eye on the idol for a few more weeks ??
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2011, 21:05:28 »
Brian,

Do you need another QT?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2011, 21:16:23 »
I am good but thanks for asking Todd.

That is a great idea Dave! I think I will do that.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2011, 21:43:48 »
o wow i had a good idea
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2011, 01:27:50 »
Would the addition of a cleaner shrimp possibly help?