2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: QT tank  (Read 2665 times)

Offline chromiumlux

QT tank
« on: July 27, 2012, 18:57:00 »
I have an old 20g long that I plan to use as a QT tank. I would like to hear from everyone that has a QT set up and what recommendations y'all have. Thanks.
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: QT tank
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 19:09:18 »
I have a 33g QT that consists of about 15 pounds of rock for filtration and a heater. For oxygenation, water overflows into a small 2 gallon sump where the heater is and a small return pump. No other equipment is used. Tank runs hypo-salinity for incoming fish for 4-5 weeks regardless if the fish appears to need it or not.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 19:20:25 »
I have a 33g QT that consists of about 15 pounds of rock for filtration and a heater. For oxygenation, water overflows into a small 2 gallon sump where the heater is and a small return pump. No other equipment is used. Tank runs hypo-salinity for incoming fish for 4-5 weeks regardless if the fish appears to need it or not.

Thanks. What do you do for corals?
Chromiumlux

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 19:48:02 »
I do different things depending on the type of coral. very very rarely do I buy anything that needs a Quarantine but if I do it is done over the period of a week in a white 5 gallon bucket with a small hang on carbon filter. For light it sits close to the tank for ambient light. The reason I don't typically need to quarantine corals is I never buy anything that pests could hide in such as a colony of zoa's or some lps such as acans. All incoming corals get completely broke down and removed from substrate and go through a series of washes. If anything is found or their is evidence of a pest it gets tossed. Different type of corals go through different types of treatments. Not fool proof but I am pretty cautious and pay very close attention.

I use Bayer insect killer as one of the washes.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2012, 19:52:22 »
Wow! you have certainly come a long way Brian. No kidding...Bayer insect killer?
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2012, 21:20:06 »
I use Bayer insect killer as one of the washes.

Okay, you need to elaborate on this.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2012, 21:24:05 »
40 gallon breeder, I run a conventional HOB filter.  Heater and a small light.   I run hypo on all fish. 

I have a 40 gallon breeder that has a  HOB skimmer, and one of my old LED lights that I keep corals in for observation.   I have some lps and ricordia in this tank too.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2012, 21:34:31 »

Yeah! enquiring minds need to know.
Chromiumlux

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2012, 21:37:27 »
40 gallon breeder, I run a conventional HOB filter.  Heater and a small light.   I run hypo on all fish. 

I have a 40 gallon breeder that has a  HOB skimmer, and one of my old LED lights that I keep corals in for observation.   I have some lps and ricordia in this tank too.

Not planning new fish for a while. Just for corals at this point. Thanks for sharing.
Chromiumlux

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2012, 21:40:08 »
One more thing....if you can keep the QT tank running all the time, the better.   Although you don't need light and heat if there are no inhabitants.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2012, 21:40:25 »

Google will find quite a bit of information, I don't want to be responsible for coral death. Note there is two types, concentrate and ready to use so the dosage is different.

I also use fresh water dips, chlorine, Coral RX, H202 and interceptor.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2012, 21:47:55 »
Well all QT treatments are use at your own risk.   I read the information.   Sounds like it is basically the same treatment as interceptor.