2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fish in over flow  (Read 794 times)

Offline Gary

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Fish in over flow
« on: March 27, 2020, 00:43:57 »
I have a 180 gal with 2 mid tank overflows that fish like to jump into. There is less than a 1/2" gap between the top screen and top of the over flows but fish can hit the gap. Getting them out has been difficult and time consuming. I'm building tops for the overflows but currently there is a six line wrasse in one overflow. What is the best way to extract, them preferably alive?

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Fish in over flow
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 01:59:19 »
I’ve used nets to get them out. Also depending on the overflow system you might be able to just get them to go down the pipe into your sump or filter sock if the pipe is large enough.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:25:18 »
Is your overflow pipe glued into the bulkhead? If not, pull the pipe, while you have a net on the other end of the overflow plumbing and catch him as it goes down the water slide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dbowman

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:42:41 »
i'm with J i caught a molly that swam through the slot on my Eshopps eclipse by pulling the pipe from the partial siphon which goes to the refugium. no worse for wear

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2020, 01:56:21 »
The over flow isn't glued but the fish may not survive the trip through the plumbing if it will fit in the pipe. It is difficult to get to the over flow and then work 20"+ in the bottom. I can only use one hand because the other one is keeping me out of the tank. I'm standing on step stool and leaning over the tank. I may just keep feeding him in there. :-(