2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: TEMPERATURE  (Read 1000 times)

Offline Swindec

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
TEMPERATURE
« on: March 29, 2020, 09:03:40 »
Good morning everyone. Finally finished the new canopy and got the new ocean revive lights up and going. Also added kessil h380 to sump. Temp with old lights stayed at 78 deg. I woke up this morning to 84 deg. Tank is 90g and has glass lids. Should I remove the lids? Will this cause more evaporation or moisture issues with the wood canopy? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: TEMPERATURE
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2020, 10:27:05 »
Something else must be going on because temperature should not be that high in the morning when the lights aren’t even on. How warm is the room. May want to check your heaters
The canopy and Stand looks great

Offline Swindec

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2020, 12:03:41 »
Room was about 75 this morning. Heater says it is off and temp has been dropping all morning with doors open. The stand does have a back on it. Maybe some extra vent holes will help. What is your opinion on glass or no glass top?

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2020, 12:35:47 »
If the stand is solid, and canopy is solid, maybe cut a vent hole on the back of the stand, and canopy too. You could even go as far as adding a fan inside the stand to help circulate air.... BUT, also check to see if you have a faulty heater, or even a bad thermometer depending on what you are using.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2020, 15:24:42 »
I have an enclosed canopy as well. Vent cut outs in the back of the stand and canopy are necessary or else that can happen. I was also able to drop the temp by switching from an AC to a DC return pump.

Offline Swindec

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2020, 16:04:13 »
I took the back cover off the stand. The temp has slowly been coming down today. Currently at 81deg. I have also had the lids open. I’m going to get my hole saws from work tomorrow and drill some more vent holes in canopy. Is everyone using glass tops or should I go without them. Lights are 10 inches off top of water

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2020, 20:52:10 »
I have screens on the top to maximize oxygen exchange. It does increase evaporation (1.5 gallons per day) but the ATO can handle it. It was warm out yesterday and I did open up the house. Tank temperature is normally 78.5 but it topped out at 79.5 at 23:00 yesterday which is when the lights completely turn off.

Offline JSellars

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2020, 21:39:45 »
I pretty much run my tank topless, I have a decorative “lid” I made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2020, 03:11:11 »
I use glass tops to help with evaporation, but mostly to keep my wrasses from becoming jerky! My frag tank and sump allow for gas exchange.

Offline Swindec

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2020, 12:56:54 »
Tank was down to 79 deg this morning. I will keep the back off the stand and drill some extra holes in the canopy. Thanks for the help