2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Survey on Calcium - ways to maintain  (Read 3501 times)

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
Survey on Calcium - ways to maintain
« on: December 03, 2008, 15:30:56 »
So as I prepare for some SPS, my water quality is looking really good and stable.... except my calcium appears to be a little low, as in, not sure it is registering on the Red Sea Calcium Pro test (which I think starts at 350ppm, but I'm at work and can't remember).   

I am currently using Instant Ocean, and I have 2 more buckets left, but I plan on switching to Red Sea Coral Pro.   What else is everyone doing?  Is Red Sea Coral Pro enough, or do I need to add?  I saw the DIY Nilsen Kalkwasser, and that looks like I almost might be able to assemble it with my sucky handy-man skills, so was thinking of that.  I didn't want to spend cash on a Co2 reactor unless/until I absolutely have to.

Thanks in advance,
- Rayk

Offline JoeAyers

Re: Survey on Calcium - ways to maintain
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2008, 15:47:06 »
Randy's Two Part and a medical grade doser on my 240 and now on my 200. I'll add a CA reactor at some point and use both the two part and the reactor. Figure I can get the best of both worlds that way.

Two Part - http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a6/Recipe-1-Instructions-for-Bulk-Packaged-Materials/article_info.html

Dosing Pump - http://reefdosingpumps.com/products/sentry.html

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2008, 16:41:14 »
The two part will probably work until your tank is filled to the brim with SPS colonies.  Your calcium levels will rise once you start using the Red Sea Coral Pro.  I have four decent sized caps and I could do away with using two part because I'm using the Red Sea Coral Pro but i try to keep my calcium levels on the higher end of the spectrum so I add a little two part daily.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2008, 18:11:56 »
I have an SPS dominant 40g, and I use Red Sea Coral Pro (Instant Ocean wasn't enough to get my levels close.)  I dose using Randy's two-part as shown above.  It's inexpensive...and I trust myself dosing MUCH more than a calcium reactor.  You may not even need to worry about dosing once you switch to RSCP until you have several SPS's. 

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2008, 18:43:18 »
Okay, cool.  Sounds like RSCP salt is the way to start anyways from a simplicty stand-point......  looks like ANOTHER trip to NDR.  Wish they'd fricken fix 75.  Need to pick up my door prize anyways.  I'll just keep the instant ocean for QT tank, etc.... although 1 more wrasse and my tank will be sufficiently 'fished' for now. 

- Rayk

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2008, 18:48:38 »
For fish-only tanks...and softy/LPS tanks...I think IO is fine.  I use IO on my frag tank (but I'm switching to RSCP since I'm putting SPS in there now.)  It's a good inexpensive salt...it just won't keep the parameters for SPS.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2008, 18:56:06 »
Got a little sticker shock with that dosing pump.  Is everybody using that?

But, then again, I should realize that "inexpensive" in reef-keeping terms is relative.... 

- Rayk

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2008, 19:00:12 »
Pffffffttttt...no dosing pump here.  I can't afford that either!  :)

I used a little measuring cup for a while until I got good at counting with a squirt bottle (used to bartend some...so I'm good at counting measures.)  Figuring out your dosage rate is a bit of a pain at first, but it's not bad.  You'll have to adjust your dosage as your corals grow too.

Dosing pumps are convenient, but keep in mind...KISS (keep it simple stupid!!)  Sometimes adding technology can cause big problems.  If you're controlling the dosage...at least if you screw up you can blame yourself...and not a couple-hundred-dollar piece of equipment.  Right now, a dosing pump just isn't right for me.  Down the road, yes.

I wouldn't waste your time with the inexpensive pumps or the drip bags...they clog terribly.  You'll spend more time cleaning them than just dosing. 

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2008, 20:33:16 »
I'm a little confused.  So how do you manually dose?  Just a few 'shots' per day at the right ppm, like at feedings?   Again, hopefully the change in salt will help me get started, so I'll have some time to figure this out.

- Rayk 

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2008, 20:55:32 »
No. I didn't pay that for my dosing pump. Watch ebay and rc and you can find them fairly cheap. I think I paid $80.

My only issue with manual dosing is I'm lazy and I forget and manually dosing means more testing. And I'm lazy. 

Also you'd be suprised how well the two part will keep up. Even in a fully loaded 240 sps. Did I mention I'm lazy?

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2008, 20:56:53 »
It's pretty easy... First you test your calcium then you go to bulkreefsupply's website and use the calcium calculator.  The calcium calculator will tell you how much two part to dose to get to your target number.  After you have done the above you will generally test daily for a week or two until you are able to determine how much calcium your reef uses, after that it is smooth sailing until your frags start to grow larger and use more calcium.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2008, 21:25:29 »
Thanks much to all.  Since I have a fully empty 120, I should be good with the manual method for now.  Seems like it won't hit my laziness threshold for a while yet.

- Rayk

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2008, 08:52:54 »
I have a used IV dosing pump that we used a long time ago.  I have a CA reactor now so it's not in use.  If anyone is interested in buying it I'll sell for cheap!  :D

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2008, 12:13:06 »
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2005-01/rhf/index.php

Seen alot of people use this over the years with great results and its the cheapest

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2008, 12:29:10 »
what kind is it, and what is considered cheap?