2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Red slime algae  (Read 2391 times)

Offline j80

• Juvenile
Red slime algae
« on: February 16, 2011, 23:26:52 »
I have a three month old reef tank that is getting red string like algae on the sand. All my tests seem to be good including phosphate but it is getting worse by the day. I have a pink looking bulb for my morning and evening lighting but i just ordered some marine glow actinic bulbs instead of the pink coralife bulbs,  i have a 216w t-5 fixture that i added for the day light and thats when this started any idea how to get rid of this?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: Red slime algae
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 23:30:57 »
Siphon out the algae and look real close at how much you are feeding the tank. I had a bad tendency to over feed my fish when I started my tank just because I always thought my fish needed moore :). With such a new tank thing like this are to be expected IMO

Post your test results so we can tank a look at them.

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 23:38:29 »
How often do you feed? I have a clown,3reef chromis a scooter blenny and a goby that i feed 2 times a day is this too much?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 23:45:19 »
I would cut back to once a day (IMO) ..others on here may give us some other thoughts. I forgot to mention ...Try increasing the flow in the areas where the algae is showing up. What you really want to do is eliminate the algae food source. In this case nutrients.

What size tank do ya have?
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 23:54:24 »
I have a 55 gal with a overflow and sump and a HOB filter and two power heads

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 00:41:00 »
My tank currently has a good amount of red slime algae as well. Fairly common in newer tanks and I beginning to wonder if it is more of a imbalance of good vs bad bacteria. Currently treating with Chemi-Clean. It is at the 24 hour mark of a 48 hour treatment. Based on what I am seeing the treatment will be moderately successful at best. My Phosphates are .02, Trates undetectable and 0 algae problems in the tank. Cynobacteria/Red Slime is a major problem left unchecked because it is toxic. Not good for corals or fish at all. All good suggestions here to help resolve the issue. Reduction in nutrients, kick up the flow, lights out for a couple days, siphon out of the and bed, use a filter sock or media to catch, add beneficial bacteria such as MB7 or Prodibio. Even all this it can still be a problem. This is why I have resorted to chemi-clean.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:35:07 »
Also, what are you feeding your fish?

Frozen Brine Shrimp is an incredibly dirty food that I have seen cause nuisance algae issues. It is also a nutritionally lousy food, not healthy for your fish. All round a poor choice of food.

If your feeding brine shrimp, stop and use something better such as Ocean Nutrition's Formula 1 or Formula 2.

Joel

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 10:33:55 »
If you do not want to cut down to one feeding a day then try 2 smaller feedings. This will be better for your fish in the long run.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 13:33:34 »
Just FYI the chemi-clean got rid of the cyano and no ill affects. I did follow directions to a T. I read that is important if you decide to try it.

Offline j80

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 20:21:46 »
Where is the best place to buy chemi-clean around here?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 20:26:30 »
I bought it at Premium Aquatics. It arrives next business day since they are so close. I couldn't find it locally but someone may have it.

gerberfish

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 13:37:21 »
I have the Chemi Clean, and the Chemi Clean Professional, Best adviceI can give are lights to old and out of spectrum?, cyano bacteria thrives between 560 and 680 nanometers. Is there enough flow?,  Are you using RO or RO DI ? What does your TDS read ? , Feed cleaner more nutritional foods even rinse them in a fine net.   Phosphates ,dissolved organics, and nitrates are all food sources for the red slime.  Also activated carbon, kh buffer, and long term use of kalkwasser precipitate phosphates that settle in your rock and substrate.  Hope I helped