2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 280gal + history of my aquatic adventure  (Read 16848 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
280gal + history of my aquatic adventure
« on: April 10, 2011, 09:10:50 »
Technically 330 if you want to add in the fuge and pipes, etc.
I will post pictures later tonight as I am at work while writing this article.

History:

Several years back a friend of mine gave me his 24g nano to use (why he thought i would be interested i have no idea as i never mentioned anything to him related towards fish since i have known him). But it was sitting around his house and he was doing nothing with it so he just showed up one day and said (and i remember the words exactly, "I had this laying around and i figured you could do something with it, the hobby is really fun".

It sat around my house for about a month and being a dumb first timer figured i would just jump into it without reading anything. Well, i knew a little from what i came across some websites online from time to time, salinity and water quality... But some was on-the-fly learning. I have had only 10 fish roughly die on me and 80% of that was because they didnt survive the drip acclimation, so it may have been overstressed fish or something... And the other 2-3 were because of age or aggression in the tank and one because of a tank cycle (learning experience).

After always dealing with rapid water parameter swings and bored with only having 3-4 small fish, and partially because while i was at Jacks getting some water conditioner, i saw they had a 55gal tank on sale for 80 bucks and came with all the mechanical equipment to get started (needless to say, i snagged that up), so i upgraded. I didnt have a stand for it at the time when i bought it so i just pushed together a couple end tables till i could find something that i liked and filled it up. Thats when i found out about the tanks water cycle (only had the 24g nano for about 5 months when i found this deal). Lost 1 fish because of that, luckily. About 6mo later i built a temp stand because i was just not happy with what was locally and some of the really nice ones were way over priced! Slap some trim on and charge an extra 300 for it, please...

A few years later, i started to feel bad for the fish. Granted Damsels have plenty of space in a 55g, but i was thinking, how would i like to live in something equivalent all my life like my house. I dont think that i would be happy with that at all. So i set out to find a solution to get a bigger tank. After scouring the net, craigslist and brand name sites and their over inflated price for used and new equipment, i came across an article about plywood tanks. So i researched and researched and researched them. Eventually, after reading several conflicting articles about what you should and shouldn't do, i went to Lowes and bought some 5layer plywood (3/4" thick).

Originally i was just going to build a 200gal tank and noticed that i would have a lot of wasted wood. So i calculated how "BIG" of a tank i could make without it being "WAY TOO BIG". Ended up building a 96"lx27"wx25"h (roughly 280 gallon). Could have been bigger, but my wife would have killed me as she was kind of already unhappy with the size :-Cry. I Gorilla glued the corners, fiberglass resins the corners and the whole inside of the tank, put 3 layers of paint for the color that i wanted (tropical blue, go figure) and applies a layer of silicon to the whole inside. I ordered a 1/2" thick piece of glass from Hemms Glass for around $180. Build a stand out of 2x6's, drilled the wholes for the plumbing and water tested it. One small leak (missed an air bubble in the silicon which ruptured with the weight of the water) so i fixed that. Stained it Ebony black just so that it didnt look horrible as this was my test tank. Was up and running for about 400 bucks not including the equipment.

So i bought the 7-800gph pump ( a little smaller than i like but it was about 100 bucks at the time) a couple power heads to make up for the lack of flow plus i could control the flow  around the tank better, bought some shop lights and put some T8 Daylight bulbs in it (Fish only tank), bought 600lbs of playground sand (silica free), 200lbs of liverock and let it all cycle for about a month and threw a Chromis in there. 4 Months later, i threw the rest of my fish in there. Oh and at the time, i had a skimmer also for both tanks, can’t forget that skimmer that is so greatly needed. After all said and done, my tank was consuming about 800-1000watts. A few more years later after testing different silicon’s, adhesives, learning the limits of the $20 sheets of 3/4" plywood, feeling confident that my fish are happy with the large amounts of room they have to swim, the well balance of my tank, etc. I started to focus on energy efficiency.

I got into what the skimmer does and why it's important, more efficient models as far as pump electrical consumption, air to water ratio, etc and stumbled across an ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber). Even though, with its bad rep in the past as a failure, mostly due to our lack of understanding, i decided to build a test rig and give it a try. I have never been happier. It is gravity fed, all the live rock, live sand and algae scrubber combined keep my tank well stabilized, and has been over the past 2-3 years. It's gravity fed and got rid of the skimmer, saving me 70-100 watts. Got rid of my filters, carbon, etc, saving me countless dollars every year. I know this is a sin to most people, but i only change my water every 4-6mo because it is so well maintained. I do dose chemicals as needed to keep things well balanced though, it seems to be cheaper as I’m not running a full on reef tank, yet.
Then really the only thing that was left is lighting. That’s when I discovered LEDs. SO I set out to build my own, build a couple test models to test out spread, intensity, par, etc (bought a PAR sensor for my multimeter). I’ll explain this some more when I get my light pictured posted. I got into LEDs also primarily because I was starting to get interested in wanting some “plant life”, but come to find out they are animals as well. But regardless, I wanted them, and I knew my light wasn’t enough. But it didn’t stop me from purchasing a couple low light corals for testing on how “intense” it needed to be to sustain life. I have only lost 1 coral out of about 15 or so and that was because a fish knocked it over and I didn’t notice it for a few days (going to school, working and family takes most of my time) and died from lack of light. I have more LEDs and optics on the way, so I’ll be building 3 more official units to cover the rest of my tank. Unfortunately I haven’t done a test yet to see how much my LED unit consumes with my kill-a-watt meter so I cant exactly specify how much in energy savings I will have over my other lighting ATM. But I’ll get to that soon.

But anyways, to keep a long story short, that brings me to today’s projects, rebuilding the 280 gallon DT for a finished product that I can truly feel confident and happy with. And the total price of the tank will cost me only a couple hundred more than the previous one because I bought Marine Plywood this time.

That’s all I have for now, if you have any questions, feel free to ask. I’ll do my best to get the pictures posted within a couple days (I should have time tonight depending on how involved I get with building my tank).

Offline HUNGER

Re: 280gal + history of my aquatic adventure
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 11:10:24 »
cant wait to see some pics and welcome to the club
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 07:58:25 »
Sorry i didnt get time last night to post the pics. I'll get to it tonight. I was up till 11:30 working on the tank. It's all assembles and the bottom fiberglass resined. Hopefully it's dry enough with this humidity to be able to finish the other sides tonight so i can let it sit for the rest of the week curing. But here is what it lookes like without the resin.

Thats my dad in the picture. He wanted to help me build this, he just didnt know it at first  ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 20:57:11 »
Looks like you are off to a good start. Can you share some pics of your current plywood build?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 23:10:33 »
Most of the images can be found in my facebook album.

To save people a lot of time from downloading images if they dont have highspeed internet, here are the albums.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=67515&id=1415105139&l=1b89b5ff04
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=91116&id=1415105139&l=ce7def068f
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?id=1415105139&aid=71014
http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=55253&id=1415105139&l=177271ba62

Here is my first 24gal Nano Cube

Here is my 55gal on the end tables: The 2liter bottle is a microdebubbler, i wasnt happy with that skimmer at all, poor design or something, so i made my own parts to compensate for its lack of perfection.

Here is what happened to the end tables from the skimmer deciding to overflow by shooting massive amounts of water into the collection cup whenever it decided to and then the temp stand i built for it because i had decided that i was going to upgrade to the bigger ~300g tank sometime soon.

Here is the 300g tank built.

Here is my ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber). I couldnt find the full pic that i took of it so i'll have to take another and post it tomorrow.

Here are the LEDs that i made a couple Demo models of to test some things before i made a "production" model. I'll be building another one thats about 3" thick and has dimming control. Then this summer I'll be getting into using an Andruino for various things.

All LEDs are CREE XPG XPE Cool White and Royal blue.
The one on the left is my second demo(~350mA), its all ran by a single 12V PC power supply with a resistor and fuse since I'm not using a constant current device. All LEDs are 1up LEDs.
The one on the right is using a combination of 3up and 1up (triple LED on one star and single LED on one star)(~350mA).

here is the "production" model almost complete. Designed to hang but i havent found  a hanging unit that I'm exactly happy with yet. It's about 5" thick (~900mA).

Here is how bright the unit is. I got rid of the PC power supply and got a 48V power supply.

Here is a Panoramic i made of my tank a couple years back:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 23:49:50 »
Love the panoramic shot and all the DIY work.
Do you have a airstones in your nano?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 23:54:46 »
i had an air stick/wand. airstones seemed to clog.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 23:57:53 »
No problem with salt creep?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2011, 00:00:11 »
none on the outside, just a little on the acrylic that was covering the light, but not much worth concern over that i can remember.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2011, 00:25:18 »
That's cool, sometimes it makes a mess. Thanks for sharing you other tanks and looking forward to seeing your new one coming together.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2011, 08:09:48 »
wow looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2011, 09:07:07 »
Thanks, so far i have about 12-16hrs invested in just the box. Takes time to cut things "perfect" and make sure everything is squared up with wood. Things can twist, be a little bowed, etc, and you have to compensate for all of that. The tank should be ready to paint by the weekend. I have to finish resin coating the inside of the tank tonight, sand it all nice and smooth, etc. Hope you enjoyed the facebook pics as well.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2011, 16:51:57 »
Just to give you a little update. I have applied the resin and its all sealed as of last night. I'm going to let it cook in the sun for the next couple days then sand it before i start painting.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2011, 18:00:52 »
Very cool tank build. Can't wait to see more pics.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2011, 21:31:09 »
looks good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2011, 01:08:46 »
well i didnt get to work on the tank today because i was working on my LED unit so i figured i would show it off a bit. My grandpa bought a Mill machine a while back and I thought that i would put it to work. My unit is about 3.75" thick (a little thicker than i would like) but it contains everything inside (even the PSU) so there are no bulky power supplies laying on the ground taking up space (helps keep the wiring a little cleaner).

The hole i'm milling is where the PSU goes.

2 80mm fans (quiet and push a lot of air)

air hole ports on the right

weather permitting, i will get to finishing the tank. I do it outside because of fumes.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2011, 02:00:31 »
That looks very professional Nice Work!

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2011, 04:37:48 »
Thanks. If i were to use an external power source, i could knock off another inch maybe, maybe even more than that. I could prob get it to be around 1.5" thick which would be slick. 3.5 isnt bad for a second build. My first one was about 5-6!! because i wasnt sure how exactly i wanted to put all the components in at first. It turned out well but not as good as this one as you can see form the other pics i posted.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 10:17:09 »
thats some good work look very clean
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Kenn

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 13:28:02 »
thats some good work look very clean

+1  :-ThumbUpsm
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2011, 10:22:06 »
Seems like today might be a good day to try to get some painting done on the tank before it gets all rainy tomorrow. Rest of this week seems to be pretty crappy so i'll have ot bring it under the porch and take the tarp off of it. I plan on having this done this weekend so i can get it up and running. The Resin has been drying for several days now so i feel confident that it is about as cured as it gets and i let the rain rinse it out yesterday. So tonight, after i get home and done with my daughters easter party, i'll commence operation "SandPainStainWithNoSleepTonight".

By then i should have my LED units done also.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 10:23:06 »
sorry, my LED units wont be done by then, maybe in a week

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2011, 19:04:30 »
Ok, so today i got to sand it and clean it. I also recieved my 96 LEDs and 128 OPTICS for those and the ones that i have. Below are the pics of them.

The optics are actually brighter than the picture depicts. I will also be outside now Staining the tank :) pics will follow.

Wow, seeing the pic reminds me that i need to scrape my glass tonight as well... I think i might reduce the current going to the whites to give it a little more blue as it seems really white in there.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2011, 19:59:31 »
here it is stained and painted. I have to get the trim for it yet so i'll be doing that tomorrow. then the next day i can finish by putting a clear coat on it. I'll be applying a second layer of paint inside. Currently the way you have been seeing the tank is that it's on its back

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2011, 01:41:49 »
Making some good progress. How soon before it is ready for water test?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2011, 07:17:00 »
Not sure. I been planning on doing it by sat. I'm going to write down what all I need to do yet so I can keep on track to meeting that goal.

Offline The WuSue

• Adult
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2011, 09:42:45 »
New set up looks amazing! :-ThumbUpsm Can't wait to see how it all turns out!

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2011, 11:30:10 »
Ok, so here is the plan if all works out.

Tuesday: (Today)
Paint 2nd layer inside
Screw on Back light panel
Cut top panel for the back (forgot to do this yesterday before i started staining...)
Lowes shopping list:
 Get u clamps for light poles
 Get aluminum tubing for lights and pipe bender
 Get another box of silicon
 Get trim - glue it on - stain it
 Get 1" & 1.5" PVC and elbows
 Get 3/4" to 1" PVC converter

Wed:
Polyurethane outside - Do two coats after wetsand if possible before bed
Drill holes for bulkheads
1/8" silicon inner layer if inside paint is dry

Thur:
Clean out original tank into some big buckets
Take out 1/2" glass panel and clean it with acetone
Silicon glass in new tank
Modify stand for the bigger tank
2nd layer of Poly if coudnt complete on Wed (would like 3 thin layers if possible)

Fri:
Leak test 5hrs
Setup new tank if passes leak test
75gal water change

Sat:
sleep

I think thats everything. Hopefully everything goes as planned without interruption.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2011, 20:15:36 »
Looks like my project will be pushed back a day. Got some bad news about my grandpa so i went to visit him. But i did get it coated in poly. This also happened today, i'll post a pic of it first.

here is the tank with its first layer of Poly. The inside wasnt dry so i have to prob wait another day to repaint...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2011, 20:53:35 »
wheres that gas station at i fill every thing up
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2011, 20:58:17 »
No kidding. theres this farm place about 30min from there, i was lookin at getting a 400g tank to fill  up but when i got there, my sister told me they shut off the pumps lol

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2011, 23:12:47 »
Ok, well today i got the last coat of Poly applied so it needs to dry for tomorrow. Since i had nothing to do other than debate about how CREE LEDs are not much more expensive than alternatives and save you a lot of money in the long run (when comparing new lights, energy savings, no bulb replacements, etc) It will pay for itself over the next 5 years or sooner. So here is a pic, i got the LEDs glued down, optics glued on, and all soldered together. I have to get the barrier strips mounted and the holes drilled that hold everything together. So i will be finishing this unit up tomorrow. I'm going to dim the whites a tad, i want a bluer' look than the MH bright white. Also need to get some more shrink tube, cant find what i thought i had left so i just electrical taped it for the time being.

Drill 8 holes, tap tap 4 of them, assemble the whole thing, should be easy.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2011, 16:02:41 »
got my LED unit done today. Now to work more on the tank.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2011, 22:07:55 »
figured i would throw up some close up pics of my corals under the new lights.

my clown decided to host the Duncan for some reason...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2011, 08:41:58 »
Thats funny the clown hosting in the duncans which are right next to the anemone.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2011, 08:56:47 »
Thats funny the clown hosting in the duncans which are right next to the anemone.

I was thinking the same thing!  LOL

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2011, 10:05:22 »
very nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2011, 15:11:14 »
Tell me about it. I think it might be that the anemone is a little small yet... it seems to try to host it every once in a while.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #38 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:49 »
all right, next weekend the tank will be completed. My wife put me on a landscaping detail for most of this weekend and i work today. So to do the leak test and get my fish in there within 24hrs of being out of their original tank, has to be done on the weekend. Hopefully either friday or after the Fragswap.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #39 on: April 24, 2011, 14:08:54 »
I will be emptying my current 300g tank on thursday and installing the glass in the new tank, leak testing on friday. Hopefully Friday night i will have the new tank up and running. Anyone feel up for the challenge? :)

The perfect way to do a  leak test:

Fill up 3" and then play a round of COD4

That allows it to sit for roughly 15-20min at each height.

which means its going to take me about 1.5hrs, then the other 3.5hrs to verify that i can trust it, which i'm confident i can.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #40 on: April 24, 2011, 18:49:18 »
Should you wait until after you have leak tested to pull everything from your current tank?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #41 on: April 24, 2011, 18:54:30 »
I would but u gave to use the glass front from yhge old for the new. Saved me 200.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: April 24, 2011, 19:01:28 »
Oh okay

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #43 on: April 24, 2011, 19:14:36 »
This is a great project Darin.  I have always been intrigued with the idea of a plywood tank.  i could build them on the ledge tht goes around my basement and give myself a lot of real estate!  How come people don't do this for in the wall builds where you can't see the rest of the tank anyway??  If you do this right is the lifespan like forever??  Also a stupid question, but you just drill through the epoxy and wall of the tank to put in bulkheads right?  I'm wondering about the extra thickness?

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #44 on: April 24, 2011, 19:16:44 »
Sorry to be so annoying... but where did you do your LED research?  A project like this is well within my abilities, I just need to find the information.

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2011, 19:20:46 »
just got to rapid LED.com they will give you all the docuemntation to do the build.  Fast and great prices, thats where I got mine.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #46 on: April 24, 2011, 20:48:18 »
Ok, i'll try to answer everything in one post. First, plywood, i wouldnt say it's Forever... Glass tanks arent all forever, but i dont think that plywood will last as long, but for 1/3rd the price... i dont care. My Last plywood build was an experimental tank. Yes i had leaking, Yes i ran into issues unexpectedly, yes, yes, yes. BUT Now that i know what I'm preparing for, i have a WAY better chance at this thing lasting 10+ years. My new tank is so beefy compared to my project tank, that i dont think that i will ever have an issue as long as i did the water proofing properly.

A lot of people that i know of have done plywood tanks that are in-wall builds. Saves you a ton of cash not buying glass/acrylic thick enough to hold 300+ gallons. THIS IS ONLY COST EFFECTIVE that i am aware of for LARGE tank builds.

Yes, i applies the epoxy and paint color of my choice before drilling through it all for the bulkheads. And since i am paranoid about coming home later in life with 300 gallons of water on the floor and several hundred lost in coral and fish, I siliconed around the bulkheads and put a nice thick layer of silicon throughout the entire inside and a flexible water barrier. Just in case the wood does give a little and causes the resin to crack.

Also for the LED's, i researched a lot on ReefCentral and various other sites, Cutter, CREE, and some other random ones.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask, it's pretty basic electrical stuff.

Rapid LED sells some good priced DIY kits, but still, searching for the parts yourself and even with shipping can save you money.

The MAIN thing people overlook is the power supply. EVERYONE seems to think that you need a constant current device, like a meanwell or buckpuck. BUT if you buy a good power supply, like i did from circuit specialists, which have great prices for what they sell, and a inline fuse, you have a very stable powering unit. It does very a little on the current by about 50mA which is small, but you shouldnt ramp the LEDs to max capacity anyways, so they are safe. IF they happen to go over 1A, then thats what the fuse is for. I tested mine out, as soon as it hit 1A, boom, fuse blew. So I am confident that this is no issue and saved me a ton of cash.

With meanwells and buckpucks, you can only run on average, 8 LEDs per driver. With my 48v PSU, i would recommend getting the 24v version as your possibilities of doing more are wide open..., i am running 28 so far and have 2 extra amps to run 28 more, all for about 55 bucks in parts and shipping. Whereas, to run 56 LEDs on a meanwell (on average $30 i last saw) that would cost $210 roughly, that might not be including shipping... The only thing that i want to do now with my system is build a PWM for it so that it uses even less energy (currently 107watts including the PSU draw). So I think that i can get that down to around 70-80 watts if i did that.

The only words of caution i have for plywood builds is that you better plan for durability. 1gal of water weighs 8lbs according to a google search i did. I mostly had problems with the back bottom corners. But i had no back bracing, so it was just 3/4" plywood that was holding the weight over an 8' span which caused the wood to bow a little, but enough to spring dripping leaks. At most it was 1drip per 30min-1hr. So, not a huge deal. I did end up replacing both sides of my current tank because of the wood issue till i realized what the problem was. The leaks are hard to find since you cant see through wood.

But feel free to ask anything.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #47 on: April 24, 2011, 21:21:36 »
Prob should add that the tank cost me about 800 to build after all said and done including the glass. I used 3/4" marine plywood this time too which was 95 a sheet, bought 3, 200 for glass, then the rest was in resin, silicon, paint, screws, extra tools that i didnt have, and plumbing.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #48 on: April 29, 2011, 13:25:18 »
Ok, well i had to order another sheet of glass because the box i made was a little smaller than the one i previously had because iw ant to fit in a shelving unit beside the tank. So all i had to do was make the glass 1" shorter..... Well i called the glass people the other day to see what it would cost to have them cut 1" off my glass and needless to say the price was about 3/4ths the cost of the glass because they, so they tell me, would have to setup their machine to cut it, etc. So i figured i would attempt to cut it myself with my diamond cutting wheel on my dremel. Well needless to say, i had to order another piece of glass. Well, i made a 1/4inch cut the glass and everything seemed fine. I was going to attempt cutting it deeper when what i figured would happen did... The glass shattered, completely as you can see in the image below.... But thats ok... sort of.. Either i paid for the cut or i could buy another piece for about 50 bucks more with no scratches.

Dont get me wrong, i was a bit upset when it happened, but not for long because now i can have a scratch free piece of glass. But anyways, i should have the new glass by friday and I'll be doing partial water changes on the tanks i have the fish and corals in every couple days to ensure they are taken care of.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: April 29, 2011, 13:35:01 »
ouch.   I hope you had shoes on when that happened.

Did you know that the glass was tempered?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #50 on: April 29, 2011, 13:43:05 »
lol, sort of, i had my vibran fivefingers on. It did cut them a little, but nothing happened to my skin.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #51 on: April 29, 2011, 13:45:30 »
and yeah, i knew the glass was tempered, but i thoguht that maybe the diamond cutting wheel would have worked because it would be scraping the class off basically, but i thought i had a 50/50 chance of it working. But either i spend 150 and drive it 50miles away to have them cut it or pay another 200 for another sheet of glass. Granted, i could have used the glass for something else, like another tank but i dont think the wife would have liked that.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #52 on: April 29, 2011, 14:05:14 »
but im ordering new glass, non tempered since its more glass than i needed anyways. My tank is 25" high, non tempered should do just fine in this application.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #53 on: May 02, 2011, 13:38:47 »
forgot to mention that the glass should be in by wednesday, if not, they said to give them a call. I cant get down there till Friday anyways to get it, but i hope its there waiting on me early in the a.m. on friday. Got to stop out at USPlastics too and pick up another sheet of that black acrylic. Not sure i will have enough to finish my last LED unit.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2011, 22:23:54 »
OK, well the glass came in yesterday. it has cured for 24hrs, not completely cured but enough that i was able to get it up and running. Here are the pics of everything. I didnt take any pics of it completely filled yet, may do that tomorrow or later tonight.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow of underneath and what not. I havent put the paneling on the stand yet nor made the doors yet, havent quite decided yet on how or what i want to do with them, so by the time the MAY Ohio Reef meeting happens, i may or may not have that completed...... Been looking around on the internet for ideas the past couple months.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2011, 22:26:02 »
next is to get all the electrical ran and clean up my mess... hate this part

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2011, 22:51:49 »
It is coming along nicely but aren't you worried it is going to bow or split apart with no bracing on top from front to back?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2011, 23:24:24 »
no, i have a 4" brace  made out of 3/4" marine plywood along the entire front and back, the back also has the 2x4 back brace as you can see in one of the images above. The back is not going to bow much if at all, i doubt that the front will either. 1/2" class is rated for tanks with more than 34" height, i only have 25", i think, i might be wrong on that one, i'll have to check. But 1/2" glass, 1x2" solid wood around the glass, 4" eurobrace made of 3/4" marine plywood, screwed every foot, I feel pretty confident. I feel confident in it, but i guess only time will tell.

Its a eurobrace, just like in the pic on the 2nd or 3rd post.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/i-made/eurobracing-29500.html

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #58 on: May 06, 2011, 23:35:27 »
i just did a quick measurement. it has maybe bowed 1/16", i think thats pretty tolerable, u? The tank has been full for about 6hrs.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2011, 00:05:49 »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2011, 17:30:12 »
all the fish and the corals are in the tank now. i put some bioboost in there to help out a little so thats contributing to the cloudy water. This is only about 1/2 my tank.

I'll get some better pics once the water has cleared up.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2011, 18:53:12 »
Looks good. You built that tank and setup quick. Nice work
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 19:42:45 by Lazylivin »

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2011, 19:36:47 »
thanks. not an easy task, but well worth it

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2011, 19:51:31 »
I have never seen a plywood tank, does the wood ever get satuarated or does the paint prevent it 100 percent?  What do you think you saved in costs by doing it this way?  you are one hell of a DIYer! its fun to see.  I love that about this hobby is if you want it you can most of the time just make it. Fun!  Those sharks swiming down there? you have a fish list?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2011, 21:11:39 »
I have never seen a plywood tank, does the wood ever get satuarated or does the paint prevent it 100 percent?  What do you think you saved in costs by doing it this way?  you are one hell of a DIYer! its fun to see.  I love that about this hobby is if you want it you can most of the time just make it. Fun!  Those sharks swiming down there? you have a fish list?

I wouldnt ever say 100% when it comes to plywood, but 99.99% sure, theres always a case where something happens that shouldnt. I actually have it layered like this:

Plywood - resin - paint - silicon
So there are 3 barriers before water can actually get to the wood. Marine plywood is supposed to be water tight/proof. But i applied a layer of resin to be extra safe. But with resin, it dries hard, semi flexible but can crack if its too thick or if the wood bows too much. So i applied the paint only for the color i wanted and put a thick layer (about 1/8") as a flexible water barrier. I dont think that i should have any water issues unless something crazy happens.

This tank cost me about 900 at most including the stand so far (still need the paneling and doors), last i checked, on petsolutions, they wanted a 250g tank with stand for around 3grand. Not sure if that came with pump and everything, but even then (not including lights) i may be up to around 1200-1500. So 1/2 price with some elbow grease.

Yes, i love to do DIY stuff because of the amount you learn from it. If something goes wrong, you pretty much know how to fix it with having built it and learning what everything does. Liek my LED build for instance.

yeah, they are called "sharks" but they are brackish catfish...

Hmmm, fish in my tank:

2 flower anemones

1 rose tip anemone

3 yellow damsels

3 3stripe damsels

6-7 domino damsels

2 yellow tailed damsels

2 bull shark carfish

1 sea grass wrasse

1 sailfin tang

1 powder blue tang

1 tomini tang

1 blood red fire shrimp

2 purple firefish

2 twin spotted signal goby

1 pink spotted shrimp goby

1 bali damsel

1 maroon clownfish

2 Ocellaris clown fish

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2011, 21:13:30 »
oh, and an orange eye urching

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2011, 13:53:44 »
Do your clowns do ok together?  I would love to get a black and white pair but I don't want to give up the false percs I already have. 

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2011, 13:55:02 »
well given the space i have for them, i havent ever seen them pick any fights. They seem to be pretty content with eachother.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2011, 14:01:11 »
I guess that is true.  I once had 2 pair of false percs...they got along well for a while then the fighting began!  I ended up seperating them before someone was killed.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2011, 14:12:52 »
yeah, it happens, dang fish seem fine one day, then another wants to get territorial.... I usually take the agressive one to the LFS if i cant find a buyer.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #70 on: May 09, 2011, 09:13:04 »
figured out how i want to make the stand. It's a design thats stuck in my head for almost a year. http://reefcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=12235818&postcount=89, it's simple, clean, and i'm going to make it two tone. SO if anyonne wouldnt mind helping me out with constructing the shell to my stand, i would appreciate it. I'll feed ya, cloth ya, give you a place to stay for a while, anything. Well, almost anything.... I just want it to look really nice once it's done.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #71 on: May 09, 2011, 09:59:05 »
well, actually, i think i'm going to go a head and build the canopy for it as well. I ws going to hang my lights, but i dont feel like drilling into my ceiling since i'll hopefully be moving within a couple years.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2011, 18:12:54 »

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2011, 18:24:33 »
Marine plywood is supposed to be water tight/proof.

My boat interior says differently :P... In the last 8 yrs it has been redone twice due to marine plywood water damage/rot lol.

But none the less it looks great and I hope it works out perfectly well for you
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2011, 18:27:37 »
hmmm, well if anything, its more solid than the standard $20 sheets of plywood on the shelf.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2011, 18:33:59 »
Yeah I would assume you would be just fine with all those additional layers...(did you coat both inside and outside the same way) My only concern would be humidity and condensation on the outside of the tank... The damage on my boat's interior was always minimal, but once it started it bgean to spread and progress rapidly.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2011, 18:37:23 »
i stained the outside and put a sealant layer on. so i think it should be good.

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #77 on: May 12, 2011, 18:41:03 »
yeah I would agree... could always throw some thompson's water seal on there, heard the fish love it :P

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #78 on: May 12, 2011, 23:55:57 »
I love the look and layout. All the small fish swimming around the rock looks like a real reef. Nice job

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #79 on: May 13, 2011, 07:55:57 »
Very cool video!

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2011, 15:25:04 »
I replaced the 2 clowns that dies and got a couple peppermint shrimp as well as some snails and i got a horse shoe crap. I would take pics of them, but they all went into hiding.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #81 on: June 21, 2011, 22:27:22 »
new updated video

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 22:51:10 »
Lookin good Darin, did you remove your Cheato?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #83 on: June 21, 2011, 23:03:42 »
No its starting to dwindle because of the scrubber.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #84 on: June 21, 2011, 23:13:10 »
Well that is good.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 10:07:29 »
And thanks to micki, the rock, clown, anemone, hippo, and some coral that you can see in the first 30sec of the video is from her :) THANKS!!

Offline AdenHoed

• Fry
« Reply #86 on: July 23, 2011, 10:52:50 »
I am ready for a large tank. (300+ gallons).   Can we meet in person to discuss making a "wood" aquarium.   470-9737    Aart

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #87 on: July 23, 2011, 10:57:47 »
Sure, can you make it to the meeting in Piqua today? Be more than happy to help out. I tried calling you but says your inbox is full. 9376386781

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #88 on: July 23, 2011, 12:23:05 »
Very nice.. I would love to have a tank like this but it would worry me to have that much extra moisture in the house.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2011, 14:01:16 »
I have added a bunch of new coral and i think some fish since the last video so i figured i would make an updated video

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2011, 15:54:01 »
very cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #91 on: August 13, 2011, 11:40:22 »
Looks a lot more filled out. Very cool

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #92 on: August 13, 2011, 13:51:04 »
looks really good Darin, Great Job

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #93 on: August 13, 2011, 14:25:33 »
Thanks everyone, its taken quite some time to get all this coral. I'm thinking I might frag some out like the moon acan, cabbage, pink zoo, candycane, toad stool but I'm not sure if that's as big as it gets, finger leather, red and green zoo, oh and my Saturn zoos as well.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #94 on: August 20, 2011, 00:08:13 »
I took some nice photos today so i thought that i would share :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #95 on: August 20, 2011, 09:13:10 »
great pics
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #96 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:53 »
Those are some great shots, thanks for sharing

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #97 on: August 20, 2011, 18:14:10 »
I borrowed my friends Canon. I'm still an armature and plan on buying one myself next year. So I'm still learning about the ins and outs of this better camera.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #98 on: August 20, 2011, 18:47:58 »
Great pics.  Canon's are great cameras.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #99 on: August 20, 2011, 23:23:17 »
hey my cheap nikon   works good not bad for a 5 buck camera
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #100 on: September 27, 2011, 07:47:39 »
The huge anemone thats in the videos, it split last week into 3 anemones!!! pretty cool

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #101 on: September 27, 2011, 08:14:01 »
thats good
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #102 on: September 27, 2011, 08:21:09 »
Nice pics Darin! I feel your pain on camera's I am getting better with mine but it took a 4 hour trip to the zoo to really get great macros.

What's up with the 2 bathroom tiles bungied together? They hold sea weed/algae or something for your tangs to munch on with the "natural" look?

Also I may have missed it, but is this tank still skimmerless? ATO only?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #103 on: September 27, 2011, 08:28:36 »
yeah, the tile is for seaweed. i just sandwhich it, band it, drop it in, they attack the crap out of it lol. I put it in twice a week. I dont know if i would say natural look, but it holds the seaweed straight up and sort of blends in with the sand, so i guess you could say "natural" look lol. Also, yes, skimmerless still and ATS only yes. I think though, i will be adding carbon and some filtration because i'm getting tired of the free floating sand in the water and since i use Tap water for top offs, i figured carbon would be a nice addition.

Offline hatcher2014

• Adult
« Reply #104 on: October 01, 2011, 14:06:14 »
Darin I just got done reading everything with your tank and I don't have the words to say how great it looks hopefully we can have my tank ready in a few months

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #105 on: October 01, 2011, 14:13:29 »
Yes, your tank is going to be fun to build as well. I built my tank in a few weeks on the weekends i had time but the only difference between yours and mine aside from size is that its cold out so it's going to take a little longer for things to dry even with me heating my work area.

Thanks for the post :) i havent had any issues with it so far, no leaks, no creeks, no nothing. It's a pretty solid build. I dont think I'll have any issues with it for many years. I was hoping to sell this one so i could build a better, bigger one, but i think plywood scares people... I dont blame them, but it ends up costing you about 1/2 as much.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2011, 20:02:39 »
couple new buddies

Chocolate Tang

Clown Tang

Moved the rocks around and added 50lbs of Pukani rock, i havent had a chance to make a Panoramic of it yet but here are the sections i took pics of.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2011, 20:06:53 »
Nice Clown Tang!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2011, 20:28:06 »
nice
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2011, 23:55:25 »
Nice tank Darin.  Is that Chocolate Tang the fish Bill seen?   That is one cool looking fish.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #110 on: October 11, 2011, 05:43:40 »
i believe it may be

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #111 on: October 11, 2011, 07:14:11 »
Looks great!  Love the clown tang!!!