2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Tang nipping at coral or?  (Read 806 times)

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
Tang nipping at coral or?
« on: October 20, 2011, 20:15:46 »
I came home and noticed a few arms of my anthelia were gone...  and I just happen to be laying on the bed watching the tank and I seen my powder brown nip at it or looked like it was..  is this normal or why would it be missing a few arms?
- deejay

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Tang nipping at coral or?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2011, 18:55:40 »
I cant say that I have ever seen a tang nip at a coral unless it is the rock base of a coral that might have algae growing on it.  Is there either algae or food supplements in the tank for the tang to eat.  I keep both lps, and sps and have never seen my 2 tangs pick at them.
Jeff

Offline dee99gt

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2011, 20:29:15 »
Yeah there is algea in there for it to eat and I also put a sheet of seaweed in there for the tang as well.. 
- deejay

Offline Cole Harlow

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2011, 11:22:02 »
None of my tangs mess with my corals but i have a friend whose blue hippo tang went on a rampage and ate some of his corals he ended up having to take his tank apart to catch the tang. Hope this isnt the case but its possible
90 gallon shallow

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2011, 13:16:42 »
None of my tangs mess with my corals but i have a friend whose blue hippo tang went on a rampage and ate some of his corals he ended up having to take his tank apart to catch the tang. Hope this isnt the case but its possible

I once had a hippo tang that ate all of my zoas!!!