2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Those who work at the base  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Those who work at the base
« on: November 29, 2011, 19:40:22 »
can you have an aquarium... say a fluval edge mini reef at your desk?

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
Re: Those who work at the base
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2011, 19:42:47 »
Depends on the policy of where you work....

I work at NASIC and our policy on pets allows for us to have a fish tank... A woman that was part of this club that worked in the same building as me had a nano.  I plan on bringing my 6g in after the holidays.

Where do you work?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Those who work at the base
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2011, 20:10:43 »
Depends on the policy of where you work....

I work at NASIC and our policy on pets allows for us to have a fish tank... A woman that was part of this club that worked in the same building as me had a nano.  I plan on bringing my 6g in after the holidays.

Where do you work?
Be careful. I think Nikki lost everything in that tank. They shut all the doors in her office one winter weekend and the hvac cooked the tank.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2011, 20:11:48 »
ya that would suck
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2011, 21:11:21 »
If anything, mine would freeze.  It is a constant 58 degrees where I sit.

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2011, 22:22:46 »
If anything, mine would freeze.  It is a constant 58 degrees where I sit.

Todd call in a work order to the mechanical shop to have the steam shop take a look at the heaters. 73131

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2011, 22:24:36 »
Todd call in a work order to the mechanical shop to have the steam shop take a look at the heaters. 73131
sounds like to much work
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2011, 00:34:56 »
Do you work in a server room todd?
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2011, 06:02:01 »
Do you work in a server room todd?

I'm thinking he does which would explain the constant 58.  :)

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2011, 07:53:20 »
We are not allowed to call in work orders, our LG does that.  No I do not work in a server room, I'm in a small area of a cube farm.  We used to have 6 guys back where I sit, it is a dead end arm off the room. They were R&D and each had about 6-7 high end PCs in their cubes.  It was about 90degrees back here.  They eventually got in a work order to have an extra cooler put here in the ceiling.  8 months later they moved but even though they adjusted the cooling it is still freezing.  Right now I am wearing a winter coat, hat, and my right hand is very, very cold from using the mouse.  LG is working on the issue but still no resolution...  It is pretty nice in the summer but the winter sucks realllllllly bad.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2011, 09:38:07 »
We are not allowed to call in work orders, our LG does that.  No I do not work in a server room, I'm in a small area of a cube farm.  We used to have 6 guys back where I sit, it is a dead end arm off the room. They were R&D and each had about 6-7 high end PCs in their cubes.  It was about 90degrees back here.  They eventually got in a work order to have an extra cooler put here in the ceiling.  8 months later they moved but even though they adjusted the cooling it is still freezing.  Right now I am wearing a winter coat, hat, and my right hand is very, very cold from using the mouse.  LG is working on the issue but still no resolution...  It is pretty nice in the summer but the winter sucks realllllllly bad.

Just plug in a few spaceheaters.  Im sure they would love that.  And make sure to use plenty of extention cords LOL

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2011, 09:57:56 »

I feel your pain, i work in a server room :( its cold all year. I dont even bother taking off my coat. Some days i have to have a blanket to put over my legs so i can still feel them.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2011, 09:58:47 »
I lived like that for about 1 year... Right next to an air handler, I couldn't hear myself think.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2011, 10:01:40 »
yeah, its pretty noisy in here, been doing it for 2.5 years. When i drive to and from work, i drive with the radio off, cant get enough silence with having to be here for so long. And my wife wonders why im quiet when i get home...

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2011, 15:06:14 »
Wow, were do you guys work again....

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2011, 16:42:47 »
Lol I work in a shop that has tested levels that run 86.5 db and above all day and I still jam the radio on the way home.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 18:50:51 »
My wife said you need to ask the facilities manager of whatever building you are in.  She's a interior designer & has done a few projects out there & stated each facilities manager has different rules....
300g tub o fish

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 19:43:48 »
Ya I will check into that.  Once I moved from the C-17 (nice building) to my new program an older building (bldg 28) I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 21:08:13 »
Ya I will check into that.  Once I moved from the C-17 (nice building) to my new program an older building (bldg 28) I thought it wouldn't be that big of a deal.

When did you leave C-17?  Got a buddy there now

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 21:17:57 »
About 15 months ago.  What's he do over there.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2011, 21:26:30 by Amstar »

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 22:58:25 »
Lt Jay Kawecki.  He's an sustainment Engineer

Offline Amstar

• Adult

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2011, 11:02:25 »
I would go with the LED light and fuge.  The fuge gives you quite a bit of flexibility.

The others are PC lighting, they have to be replaced regularly.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Finnex-4-Gallon-Nano-Aquarium-Moonlight-LED-Blue-White-Bulb-Refugium-/200667586329?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item746c3bbcb9