2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Is it just me?  (Read 6621 times)

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
Is it just me?
« on: December 01, 2011, 10:42:39 »
THe recent topics column normally on the right is gone. It was like this at home last night and now this morning as well at work. Just curious if there was a planned change i was unaware of.

Offline buk

• Juvenile
Re: Is it just me?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2011, 10:57:37 »
been wondering the same thing myself. it's a lil frustrating trying to follow along

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2011, 11:01:13 »
Grab our pitchfork, I'll meet you at Brians house.

Offline buk

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2011, 11:10:59 »
lol. give me a head start. i'm about 3 hours out.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2011, 11:28:23 »
Last night I removed it while I was adding the potm to home page and forgot to re-enable.  Don't you use the unread message button in the upper right hand corner. Reason I ask is I was thinking of removing the recent topics from homepage because it can keep people from joining Ohio Reef by giving them a method to navigate site as guest and takes up space I could use for other cool stuff. I won't though if folks like it or use it.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2011, 11:33:22 »
im fine with using the unread, it was just nice for those of us who frequently visit the site to see new posts, etc. But I'm ok with the unred/replies shortcut. I just wanted to make sure that it wasnt just me that this was happening to.

So in a way, i guess no, i dont usually use the unread, but I'll start :)

You think that by them seeing the posts that it prevents them from joining work? Hmmm, i woudl think that by being able to see the posts it would interest them into joining.

But i can see what you are saying.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2011, 11:46:49 »
Ive always just looked at the side of the page...didn't know there was an unread button....
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 12:06:58 »
I don't know Darin maybe not. The recent topics only has about the last 15 topics. Sometimes that is only the last couple hours so if you are using that you are likely missing lots of posts or entire threads. Especially with the current activity on Ohio Reef. 4,462 posts for November!

My recommendation is to bookmark this URL. http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?action=unread;all;start=0

Ive always just looked at the side of the page...didn't know there was an unread button....

Another good reason to remove recent topics.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 12:09:18 »
i'll be using the unread from now on. i just checked it, i had over 380 pages of unread topics. so maybe i missed some good stuff, i'll never know becaus eim not sifting through 380+ pages lol

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 12:13:54 »
Oh wow that is a lot! Click mark forums read and that will clear them out and only new ones will show

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 12:20:32 »
already done :) thanks though

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2011, 12:30:30 »
Especially with the current activity on Ohio Reef. 4,462 posts for November!

And that is just the banter from Boon and Hunger trying to boost their post count.   :-Poke

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2011, 14:38:15 »
First this board works well, unlike some I have used...

I use the unread button.  Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.  If I get nothing using the unread button, then I try:

No unread topics found since your last visit. Click here to try all unread topics.

WHat I would really like to see is once you click unread and all the threads are shown, I would like a box next to each topic that I could select and individually mark threads unread. 

If I want to clear out my unreads, then I have to look at each topic, or click mark all as read.

My $.02 on the board.

Offline Blazinreef

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2011, 15:02:46 »
so what is the difference between the unread and replies??
Firefighting:  How hard can it be?  You just put the wet stuff on the red stuff right?

57 Rimless SPS/LPS in the works

OLD:180g mixed reef, 60g sump, 2 30g frag tanks, 30g macro algae tank.  300g total system.

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2011, 15:06:08 »
My assumption is unread are all threads that you have not read since your last visit to the site.

Replies are replies to posts that you have made in a thread.

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2011, 15:08:27 »
I have always used the unread button.  I never noticed the side thing. 

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2011, 15:39:33 »
Last night I removed it while I was adding the potm to home page and forgot to re-enable.  Don't you use the unread message button in the upper right hand corner. Reason I ask is I was thinking of removing the recent topics from homepage because it can keep people from joining Ohio Reef by giving them a method to navigate site as guest and takes up space I could use for other cool stuff. I won't though if folks like it or use it.
i dont have the unread button never mind
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2011, 15:40:55 »
And that is just the banter from Boon and Hunger trying to boost their post count.   :-Poke
ya so

SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2011, 16:32:34 »
I never go to the home page so I never realized there were posts there.  LOL  I always use unread.  The only thing I've never liked is if I click on unread and don't have time to read everything they are gome the next time I bring the page back up.  The are still marked new if I scan the forum which takes even more time. 

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2011, 18:53:35 »
WHat I would really like to see is once you click unread and all the threads are shown, I would like a box next to each topic that I could select and individually mark threads unread. 

I visit another SMF forum that has that option. I was thinking it was a mod so I asked their admin about it. They told me it was standard in SMF. I'm not sure if our theme doesn't support it or what.

Brian, could you look into that? I've looked through the settings but didn't see anything to enable/disable such an option.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2011, 18:55:14 »
I never go to the home page so I never realized there were posts there.  LOL  I always use unread.  The only thing I've never liked is if I click on unread and don't have time to read everything they are gome the next time I bring the page back up.  The are still marked new if I scan the forum which takes even more time. 

Micki,

If no new shows up, click the "Show all unread messages" and you will get all the unread messages. The "unread" at the top only gives you unread since last visit.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2011, 19:14:21 »
I visit another SMF forum that has that option. I was thinking it was a mod so I asked their admin about it. They told me it was standard in SMF. I'm not sure if our theme doesn't support it or what.

Brian, could you look into that? I've looked through the settings but didn't see anything to enable/disable such an option.

It is a mod. I found it and forwarded a link to Brian.

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2011, 21:14:48 »
Bah I found this... I understand why you removed it.... but I am soooo lazy....

Jealous?!!?!?  :-bannanna

God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2011, 21:24:59 »
Micki,

If no new shows up, click the "Show all unread messages" and you will get all the unread messages. The "unread" at the top only gives you unread since last visit.
Gary where is the show all unread messages?

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2011, 21:42:03 »
up top under your name