2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: boxless overflow?  (Read 2584 times)

Offline horrifier

• Fry
boxless overflow?
« on: March 29, 2012, 19:46:37 »
ok so i'm setting up a 75gal tank that is not drilled.  i have an eshopps overflow on my 55 that i could move over but honestly don't like the look of the box inside the tank, and would like to be able to put the tank closer to the wall instead of having it 6 inches out.  my original thought was to just go real simple and drill 2 holes on the back wall, one in each corner for drains and just having an elbow come off the bulkhead with a strainer on it.  i have been looking around and can't seem to find anyone that uses this type setup.  my only real concern about it is noise.  anyone have any thoughts on this or ideas/suggestions?  i'm open to all advice

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: boxless overflow?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 19:51:10 »
My 180 isdrilled @ each corner. Sits about 3" from the wall. I have a canopy & it is not that loud with it open. But is much queiter when closed. As long as it's not tempered, IMO drill it.

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 20:05:02 »
ya i'm def going to drill it either way so i can have it closer to the wall.  what i'm not sure on is if i can get by without having overflow boxes or not.  i know the overflow boxes are great for surface skimming but this is going to be a freshwater tank with air disks in it so there will be plenty of surfice movement.  just can't seem to find any examples of drilled tanks without overflow boxes to see how well they work or how loud they are

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 21:46:05 »
You can see a couple of them in this thread http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=13176.msg117209#msg117209

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2012, 09:40:45 »
thanks lazy, thats kinda what i was thinking about doing.  i was just thinking about doing two 1" drains, one on each side.  i know it will drain just fine, just not sure on how loud it will be lol

Offline referinohio

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2012, 14:22:42 »
Here is what I did. Not too bad noise wise. Especially with the canopy closed.

The small one on the left drains into my skimmer. I do have screening/fish catchers over both drains now.

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 15:39:02 »
thats basically what i am thinking of doing except the drains will be in the corners instead of next to each other.  i like those basket type strainers but can't seem to find one for 1".  all i'm finding is the normal cone type strainers

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2012, 18:32:37 »
Consider putting the drains on one side and your return on the other. It is a much better implementation all around.

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2012, 19:20:19 »
i was thinking that doin a drain in each corner and having the return in the middle with a Y would give me good coverage.  u think doin both on one side would be better than that idea?  again i'm open to all advice so please anyone feel free to jump in.  my thought was that since i'm not going to get much surface skimming off of just the drain pipes that having them at different sides would help break up the surface more and just thought it would help draw water and dirt from all over the tank this way

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2012, 20:36:34 »
Mine is set up that way. Drilled in each corner. The holes are drillee low enough to put an elbo in the bulk head. I have 1 1/2" bulks with 1 1/2" pipe. I have the basket type strainers, I had to modify to let enough water to flow freely. Comes down to a y & feeds the sump.

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 21:25:16 »
how much noise do u get from them?  thats really my biggest concern is if they will be extremely loud

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 22:03:56 »
My an is in my living room. I can easily watch a movie & not even realize its there. When the canopy is closed there's practically no noise. I just live in sidney. You are welcome to come down sometime & check it out.

Offline horrifier

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2012, 09:07:43 »
i was born and raised in sidney so that def wouldn't be hard for me to do.  only been in wapak for about 2 years.  i have the hole saw ordered, should be here monday or tuesday, now just to see if i can find some parts to get a bigger strainer with only 1" pipe