2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anemone for Maroon Clowns?  (Read 2719 times)

Offline Viggen

Anemone for Maroon Clowns?
« on: January 04, 2012, 21:37:20 »
Anyone know which Anemone I should be looking at for a pair of tank raised maroon clowns? 

Also... I should probably ask...... is it OK to add a Anemone if a FOWLR?  Any other stuff I should look at for me tank?  tank will have large angels (someday).... triggers, numerou tangs etc
300g tub o fish

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: Anemone for Maroon Clowns?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 23:01:26 »
Carpet nem.  And a muzzle and some hormone therapy for the female.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 23:13:15 »
Didn't someone just have a large carpet for sale? That would be sweet!

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 23:29:20 »
Neogenesis has a purple carpet nem for sale.  That would be sweet, especially if he still has it.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 23:33:44 »
Neogenesis has a purple carpet nem for sale.  That would be sweet, especially if he still has it.

+1!

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 23:33:59 »
He sold it. I have been contemplating selling mine but my clowns would have a fit and I don't want to get rid of them. The Maroons natural anemone is a bubble tip.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 23:51:33 »
He sold it. I have been contemplating selling mine but my clowns would have a fit and I don't want to get rid of them. The Maroons natural anemone is a bubble tip.

+1 -- BTA or LTA

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2012, 23:55:24 »
Not sure what kind of lights your running but some anems have high light requirements. The BTA and Haddoni Carpet both are more of a moderate light species.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 00:12:55 »
Lighting wise I have 3 250w MH's... tank is 120x30x30  is that OK for a BTA etc??

I do remember seeing his f/s, I don't want something that big

So bubble tip, long tentacle or carpet are my choices.  I will go look at some pics now... thanks!!

300g tub o fish

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 18:49:32 »
Lighting wise I have 3 250w MH's... tank is 120x30x30  is that OK for a BTA etc??

I do remember seeing his f/s, I don't want something that big

So bubble tip, long tentacle or carpet are my choices.  I will go look at some pics now... thanks!!

With that tank, just get an elegant nem.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2012, 13:08:33 »
I do not want something that get's to huge..... I don't want to loose any of my other fish!

Should I add a anemone now/soon or wait until after all the fish I want are added??
300g tub o fish

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2012, 13:26:20 »
I would add the anemone as soon as possible. They tend to wonder around and destroy or damage things until the find a place they are happy with so the less in the tank the least likely you are to lose something to a wondering anemone.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2012, 13:36:18 »
Personally I'd stick with a BTA.

They don't normally get huge, and they're easy enough to remove/sell when they split.

Have you considered making an 'island' of rock for the nem, so that it isn't as likely to wander all over the tank?

Offline Viggen

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2012, 14:12:45 »
exactly the opposite of what I thought.... & since this is new to me ASAP will be what I do! 

What do you mean a island?  O kinda have it piled up now, not totally happy with how it looks but it's a start, debating on if I should add more rock or LR or just keep it the way it is.  I know I do need to add more into the sump....

300g tub o fish

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2012, 14:36:04 »
Well, an 'anemone island' is a freestanding pile of rocks. BTAs tend to move around rock, but won't generally cross sand. So by making a freestanding 'island' of rock, many folks have been able to keep them confined to a particular area.

Now, if a BTA is *really* stressed, by too much flow, bad water conditions, etc- they have been known to completely 'let go' and float off somewhere else. But that's the exception rather than the rule.

Also, by making an 'island', you can generally pick up the rock an anemone is on without disturbing the rest of your rock work- especially useful if you've had one split and want to sell / trade-in the new anemone.

A friend of mine here in Texas has made a pocketful of spending money for his kid in college by doing that.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2012, 15:28:09 »
I have to agree with Ashlar. An island a BTA would be sweet and the best way to keep the anemone in 1 place. Plus if you do't want something to big do not get a carpet they grow large, like the sand, will move and can disrupt rock. Speaking from experience. I have seen some good sized BTA's and it is the Maroons natural anemone.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 08:30:20 »
How do you make an island and force the anemone to stay on it?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2012, 09:47:54 »
Well, making the island just entails arranging your rock work so that there is sand all around a small pile of rock.

Then when you get the bta acclimated, gently wedge it between some of the rocks on the 'island'. It'll likely move around different surfaces on those rocks, but unless they're really stressed, they won't cross the sand.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2012, 11:33:52 »
If it inst happy with flow etc. wouldn't it move out the of island?

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2012, 11:57:37 »
They usually have to get *really* stressed before they'll completely let go and float away from the island.