2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Just some idle chat...  (Read 1280 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Just some idle chat...
« on: March 11, 2012, 19:17:54 »
So... here I am in BFE, Alabama.  Working on an aerospace math class when not at work.  "A rocket is launched vertically into the air.  Using height (h) as a function of time (t), and the formula h=280t+50-162, when is the rocket on the ground?"  My wife said a mouthful; "Who cares?".  Unfortunately, my college professor will not accept that as an answer.

So yesterday I made an appointment at a "reef shop" in Birmingham; let's leave the store name out of it.  2.2 hr round trip to kill time.  Showed up at 1PM today to meet with a member of the staff.  A man and his significant other were there as well.  I looked around, found a wellsy I could bring back on the plane that was very unusual, but "It ain't for sale."  Shucky-darn.  Thought I wuz there to buy stuff...

Then the man asks about having two banded coral shrimp in his reef tank.  Let's not worry about a non-mated banded shrmp pair in the tank killing each other, nope, let's state outrageous claims like "That shrimp ain't reef safe, fish'll think it's a cleaner shrimp, and they'll come up to it, and it'll reach out and use those pinchers to rip the gills clean out of a fish." What the ...?  Okay, he's off his meds, just everyone stand back.  Then the man asks about a melinarus wrasse in the tank.  "Nope, not reef safe, it'll eat all your shrimp and crabs."  What?  Where's my taser?  Then "Got this here leopard wrasse (was a Christmas fairy wrasse), it's real reef safe and easy to take care of."  Too bad the 40,000 volt version of the taser is illegal.

Went to check out with a bagged copy of the latest Coral magazine.  "Oh, we can't do a credit card today, but if you call back Tuesday, you can call in your credit card and we can do it over the phone." O. M. G.  Hold still while I stick your head in that frag tank with the crappy frags at $50 and higher in it.

I could make a killing down here charging prices our sponsors charge and run everyone out of business in a 200 mile radius. :laugh:

So then, before I went back to the hotel room to explore more useless questions regarding rocket trajectories and the like, I figured I'd watch a movie.  Went and saw Act of Valor about our US Navy seals.  Great movie; leaves you feeling like you've been punched in the chest at the end.  After the movie, there's a group of people making fun of it and the sacrifices our military and their families make.  Having served, and having known and still know operators in the special operator community, I really wanted to say something, BUT... "Yankee in Dixie tases 20, shoots 11" headline flashed through my head, so I just left. :not speak:

Today has been, well, surreal.

Oh, and my rainbow BTA split 2 days ago and went on the move while I was gone and stung my 6" neon green long-tentacled plate to death.  That just plain sucks.  I'll deal with the BTA when I return. :badday:

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
Re: Just some idle chat...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2012, 22:54:03 »
Well, that all just sucks! Sorry some people are so stupid!

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2012, 23:03:05 »
Yep.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 08:00:23 by kattz »
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 22:51:49 »
Got a call from the shop re the wellsy I was looking at.  $400.  Wow, I paid like $35 for mine.

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 23:01:37 »
Anymore, I try to remain oblivious to conversations around me in LFSs. Otherwise, I start pontificating, and / or itching to laugh at idiotic advice.

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 09:33:33 »
Anymore, I try to remain oblivious to conversations around me in LFSs. Otherwise, I start pontificating, and / or itching to laugh at idiotic advice.
Sometimes I'll wait until the "salesman" leaves and then I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.  Yes, sometimes they look at me like I'm some stalker, but I wish I had someone help me before I spent all of my money on cheap items that needed upgraded.
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 09:44:04 »
I've had it both ways.. I used to carry cards made up pointing to a local club forum, and would hand those out when I heard bad advice. Some stores and customers appreciated it, some stores REALLY did not.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 11:28:42 »
Sometimes I'll wait until the "salesman" leaves and then I'll toss in my 2 cents worth.  Yes, sometimes they look at me like I'm some stalker, but I wish I had someone help me before I spent all of my money on cheap items that needed upgraded.
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER