2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump help?  (Read 1679 times)

Offline wolverine57

• Fry
Sump help?
« on: July 11, 2012, 11:49:46 »
I purchase a New 55G Glass Tank to be used as a sump.

Measurements: 48 1/4"x 12 3/4"x 21"
 A hole will be drilled for a Reeflo Snapper/Dart Hybrid
 Skimmer: BM NAC7 Protein Cone Skimmer

Need area for the skimmer & Refugium (LR /Chaeto or Bioballs) Basically I need three section.
 Taking all this into consideration, I have a few question and appreciate any advice.

Question:
1) How many baffles recommended and how should I place the baffles?
 2) The tank is 21" tall. So what height should the baffles be cut.
 3) How much space sho I allowed for the refugium, skimmer and the return side.
4) Should I put a check valve?

If I left something out, and you any of you have any thoughts please feel free to comment.

Thanks
 Johnny

Offline referinohio

• Adult
Re: Sump help?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:01 »
I used 3 baffles on my sump (29 gal), I think that is pretty standard.
Make sure the water level in the sump is low enough to account for any
drain off of the DT during power outages/tank maintenance. And skimmer in first section
of sump. Thats about all I can think of. I have no check valve.
Here is a pic of mine. Running pretty well so far.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 08:01:07 »
Yep 3 baffles here also. Most important is the space needed for dt drain off in a power outage or pump failure or anything else that can hapen. Make sure the skimmer has plenty of water to work with. And you want to make sure you have plenty of water for the inlet of your return pump. The rest use as a fuge.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2012, 12:12:52 »
I think in spacing the baffles one would consider the size of return pump so as to have suficient volume. But I'm no pro @ this. But the peeps who built my 55g set baffles at 12" on each end and middle was open for sump.

The pros who build my 75g refug/sump set as follows; inlet side,1st baffle is 6" (rubble rock) and then 5"with air baffle in btwn....then skimmer w/divider btwn sand, then 5" space w/air baffle and then7" w/ pump.

Hope this helps w/spacing.   :D   
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2012, 19:22:56 »
What is the size of your tank?  Dart/snapper can push 1500-3000 gph of flow depending on head pressure.  That's a lot of flow for a 55g sump....... Possibly to much flow for that sump. 

Flow rate will determine how far apart the 3 baffles should be spaced.  So depending on head loss and which impeller you need to go from there.  On my 475g I have two 65g sumps.  I haven't installed my baffles yet but I plan on spacing them 1 in apart, that's on a sump 24 inches wide with 1000-1500 gph of flow.   One of my 65 g tanks is the fuge and when I ran 2000+ gph through that, way to many bubbles in there. 
300g tub o fish