2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: It's official (well almost)  (Read 5568 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
It's official (well almost)
« on: January 06, 2007, 15:40:46 »
I'm picking up my 150 gallon tank tomorrow!!!  I've been researching what kinds of fish to add all day.  As I said earlier, I will have 2 hippos and 1 powder blue.  I would love some triggers but I'm not sure that will be a good idea now.  Anyone with experience on this?   

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: It's official (well almost)
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 15:43:16 »
Why do yout think triggers would not be a good idea Micki?

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 15:45:09 »
I've been reading wet web media today.  They aren't very encouraging with mixing triggers with anything.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 16:05:35 »
triggers + tangs are not a problem IF & ONLY IF you get triggers (or tangs for that matter) that do not have a attitude.

Hawiian, Niger, pinktail, bluejaw & a few other can EASILY be mixed w/o worries.  They almost never have a attitude :)

However if you add a clown, fuscus, queen & a host of other really cool triggers more then likely someday your tangs will slowly miss fins then their head :(

I have a 10 ish in hawian that is a complete whimp.  The Sohal that Joel now has use to pick on him & the sohal was only 2-3 in long!  When I added my mappa puffer the trigger didn't care. 

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 16:10:56 »
I guess it;'s good to know I can add "some" sort of trigger...  I was really hopping for a picasso though.  :)

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 17:16:40 »
someone owes me money

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 17:17:46 »
;D

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Last Edit: January 06, 2007, 21:38:28 by micki »

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2007, 22:51:50 »
How can they do free shipping on live stuff. Thats the first site that I have seen do that.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2007, 22:54:32 »
I don't know. Their prices are good too.  If they would happen to have everything I want at the same time I would consider trying them.  I've read it's best to add all the triggers at the same time. 

Offline Secondgen

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2007, 22:58:55 »
I noticed upon checkout they add a processing fee, and a fuel charge fee. A $12 clown goby ended up being $30 and some change.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2007, 23:00:57 »
Hmmmm... I haven't gotten that far into it yet.  I would prefer to get them locally barring the price isn't off the wall.  The biggest problem I can see is getting what I want all at once.  that's anywhere but especially locally. 
« Last Edit: January 07, 2007, 07:21:47 by micki »

Offline Viggen

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2007, 00:49:42 »
my .02 cents

get them from Joel

he would be able to have them all for you & if for some reason everything doesn't arrive he can hold onto the triggers untill it all does arrive.  & as you know.... a site sponsor!

I would be worried about putting those triggers together.  I beleive those little clowns are not the easiest to keep by themself & adding that with the 3 larger triggers I think is asking for trouble.   I also do not think your tank is big enough for 4 triggers or I guess not for a very long time.  You might be able to get by with 2 but 4 I wouldn't do simply because some are known to not be peacefull. 

300g tub o fish

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2007, 07:25:19 »
I agree with you Gary.  I would probably drop the clown trigger.  From what I've read they are the most aggressive.  I'm hoping the niger, picasso and bursa would get along ok.  The clown might put them over the edge. :) 

If Joel could get them all in at the same time I would rather go that route.  I'll see him today and ask if he can get the bursa in.  That's the one that I'm not sure about getting locally. 

If all else fails I'll go with the niger and piccaso.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2007, 08:33:49 »
A bursa and a huma huma are to similar to put together, I wouldn't do it. If you want to be different, get a assasi trigger from the red sea, similar in appearance and temperament but not something everyone else already has.

As per the "if Joel can get them in at the same time" question, I have them all right now and normally do. The prices were decent on that link you posted Micki but the shipping would kill you. You also would be disappointed in a 2-3 inch O. Niger. Pretty lame when that small and they radically vary in appearance. You will want to pick it out yourself. I'll show you what I mean when you get to the shop today, I have a very pretty Niger in one tank and a boring one in another.

Another concern I have is that most likely the fish you saw on that web sight are going to come from the philipines as cheap as they were selling them. Not only are they typically more bland in color from there, the collection methods are questionable and often they won't have a long life span. The huma huma collected from tropical pacific (Hawaii and similar) are normally much more colorful and very hardy, more expensive though but worth it. Same for the Niger and the rectangle. (also similar to huma huma & bursa but has a very distinct yellow stripe on it) From Hawaii the huma huma may be refered to as a "painted" trigger. The "tiny" clown trigger listed on that site would not be available this time of year, they are out of season being that small and tiny clown triggers often do poorly. Once the hit about 4" or so they seem to be much sturdier. If you get a smaller one and raise it up with eveyone, it'll have much better manners but buy a wild caught  larger clown trigger and it can be a major bully!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2007, 09:06:23 »
Thanks for the info Joel!  As I sad I would rather go with you as long as I can add them at the tank all at thsame time.  Sounds like you can do that!  :)  I'll look at them when I get there.  Hopefully it won't be long before I can put them in the tank!!! :)

Thanks again Joel!

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2007, 09:54:49 »
saltwaterfish.com has done free shipping for years.  their stock supplies are rarely kept up and its often hard to find items you want in stock but if you can they are good suppliers

Offline verper

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2007, 10:59:28 »
Actually there is quite a bit of bad press about Saltwaterfish.com on RC.  The most common complaint is that if you order x, y, and z and x shows up dead, the very best you will get out of them is a credit on another order from them.  So you would have to spend another minimum $79 to get your "free" replacement.   Many say it is near impossible to get any response out of them at all after placing an order.  We all know where Joel can be found  ;) :D

Offline verper

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2007, 11:04:40 »
Micki,
Have you told Randy about the larger skimmer your going to have to purchase with all of the new additions?  Large fish = large poop  :D

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2007, 11:28:47 »
Ya and we should all believe the millions of pounds of BS that is posted on RC.  You should all know better than trust RC as a single source of information

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2007, 13:43:14 »
Micki,
Have you told Randy about the larger skimmer your going to have to purchase with all of the new additions?  Large fish = large poop  :D

Actually when I bought the skimmer I have now it was with an upgrade in mind.  (always got to think ahead :)  ).  Randy is going to do the mod to get the most out of it though.  :) 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2007, 13:50:16 »
As I said I would prefer to stay local and I did.  :)  I bought a picasso and niger trigger today.  Jole is going to hold them for me untilt he tank is ready.  :)  They look great and are sharing the same tank right now so that should be a plus.  I would still like to get a puffer of some kind and I would love to have one more trigger.  I think Joel suggested an asissi or something like that. 

It's always nice to see what you are getting.  That's one big downfall with online ordering.  The shipping is free from saltwaterfish.com so that's a plus.  If I couldn't get what I wanted then I might have tried them.  It looks like I can get what I want from Joel and the prices are good so it's a win/win situation. :)   

bigfalcon36

« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2007, 14:23:24 »
Pics of the new tank please!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #23 on: January 07, 2007, 14:32:41 »
Pics of the new tank please!

LOL it's still sitting in the back of the truck until we can get some muscles here to help unload it.  Do you really want a picture of that?  :)

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2007, 14:37:07 »
Don't worry I'll be there to save the day!!!