2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Survey for Experienced Members  (Read 1179 times)

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
Survey for Experienced Members
« on: November 27, 2013, 16:53:39 »
So I have had my 'starter' tank (30G Tall with 10G sump ) for 2 years this Christmas. I want to upgrade in size, get a pre-drilled tank with maybe 2 returns. Something in the 70-100G range. I need to be cognizant of 2 things: 1 - I want to move to the gulf coast of Florida in the next year or three so don't want to go HOG WILD only to have to dump the tank , etc. and start over and 2 - I also want to be cognizant of the weight of all that water . I would want the tank to be on the MAIN floor of our house (built in 1997) and wonder if I need to worry about special supports or anything.

In my shoes - what would you do?
A) keep your current tank until you move. Then go big...
B) buy a moderate upsize (50-75 Gallon ) tank and be happy with the relative upgrade
C) Go BIG now... never know what tomorrow will bring...

Thanks in advance for your help.

MasonRob

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
Re: Survey for Experienced Members
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 17:28:10 »
 if you want something in 100G range go 120G. takes basically same equipment as a 75G. lighting an such. obviously larger skimmer an powerheads. but basically same. especially for a move. or you could do some sort of a cube. that way less lights to move. an there is several sizes that will give you a larger footprint than you have now. IMO if i KNEW for sure I was moving in a year probably go cube route. if wasn't sure or thought it was several years out then a 4'x2'x2' size or bigger for sure. by then you probably will want to change tank around anyways.   

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2013, 17:47:58 »
If you are sure you are moving, without a doubt. I would wait. I would maybe pick up things needed to start a big tank at your new place. You could pick up a nice skimmer, lights ect.. Easy to move and have a tank waiting when you get to your new place.

My pic is A

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2013, 20:34:08 »
 another suggestion. there ALWAYS an I mean ALWAYS seems to be several very very very nice tanks in the gallon range your talking. for sale in florida an California area.

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2013, 22:10:28 »
Personally, I'd wait on the big tank til I was moved. You take a chance of cracking the tank moving that far.
Brent McCloskey

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 13:41:39 »
Many thanks to everyone who has responded to date.  If the 100-120 G tanks will utilize some of the same equipment as a 75 G tank (as suggested) then what if I got a 75 G tank now and when getting ready to move, sold off the tank, replacing it with a larger version (100-120G) when I get to FL?

Or is this CRAZY talk?

And one is never certain of future moves when one's spouse is involved.  Especially if that spouse is a professional scientist...  Too much re-evaluation of data, etc. and not enough make a decision and GO ALREADY....

LOL 

Mason Rob