2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Free filefish  (Read 1863 times)

Offline andys1982

• Adult
Free filefish
« on: January 23, 2014, 17:44:52 »
Free green filefish.  They're supposed to eat aptasia but this one seems mainly interested in coral.  I don't really have any where to keep him,  so as soon as he's caught he's got to go.  Let me know if you're interested.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
Re: Free filefish
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 17:48:43 »
Txt 4192332319

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 18:55:04 »
Rehouse pending capture

Offline forgiven1973

• Egg
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 00:15:17 »
im looking to add one myself for aptasia and was told by a guy he has one in every tank doing well.   my question for you is what corals did it peck at or eat?    acros, zoas, softies?

thanks for the help

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 13:13:08 »
Softies and LPS.  It's hard to say if he's really causing any damage.  My more expensive LPS was removed instantly, but I left some softies I don't care so much about and, although he's still picking at some, he's yet to cause any apparent damage.  Seems like they just close up.

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 18:31:20 »
I guess I could be a little more specific.

I bought this guy after getting advice very similar to yours.  Right out of the gate he was nipping at a kenya tree (don't care too much) and a purple gorgonian.  I wasn't to worried so I let things slide.  The kenya would open right back up, but the gorgo stayed closed for several days before I moved it to the frag tank.  I made the decision to get rid of him and the "free fish" post when I came home and he was hovering above a severely PO'd bleeding apple scoly.   Again, moved to the frag tank.  Shortly there after a metalic welso.  I went ahead and pulled all of my hard to replace stock, but still have plenty of coral in the display.  To give you an idea of what's in there:  BTAs, maxima clam, pavona, anthelia,, zoas, mushrooms, monti(s), pocilli(s), blue ridge, xenia, and some trumpets.   I haven't lost anything at this time, and the only thing I've noticed being picked on the kenya tree.  The fish was slow to take to frozen food and is only now eating aggressively enough to bait the trap.  I wonder if it wouldn't work out given enough time and plenty of food, but am reluctant to think that I'll ever be willing to put the more expensive corals back in the display to find out.

This is the second or third time I've taken my chances with a "with caution" type of fish and every time I've had bad luck.  I think I've finally learned my lesson. 

Hope this helps.

Offline Andy bays

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 21:23:49 »
I'll take it

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 21:58:32 »
Sorry, it's gone.