2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: What kind of salt should I stock?  (Read 2560 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
What kind of salt should I stock?
« on: February 26, 2016, 11:05:09 »
I don't get asked for salt very often but thought I should carry a brand. There are two that come to mind. Red Sea Coral Pro 175g Buckets or Reef Crystals 200g boxes. Red Sea retails for $72.99 where as Reef Crystals is typically $50. Even at a Group Buy price, Red Sea Coral Pro is expensive at $65 to Reef Crystals $45 price. Let me know your thoughts.

Offline jfishwild

• Adult
Re: What kind of salt should I stock?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 11:27:02 »
I personally use Red Sea Coral Pr
We don't know how strong we are until being strong is the only choice we have.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2016, 11:49:24 »
I use tropic Marin 👍🏻

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2016, 11:50:04 »
If I had to guess I would assume most people want reef crystals or instant ocean.

Offline saltykid96

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2016, 12:16:48 »
Wish I was closer for Red Sea at $65. That would be nice

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2016, 13:19:17 »
I have and probably aways will use Red Sea Coral Pro
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline saltykid96

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2016, 21:46:21 »
I first started with instant ocean but it took a while to mix and was kinda milky. Been using Red Sea ever since. It seems to me to be more of a bead and mix fattest and more clear. I did get some reef crystals at the expo to give it a second chance though.:)

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline Bigtom802l

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2016, 14:45:22 »
I like the Red Sea pro. That is what I use and  have used the reef crystals in the past but switched to Red Sea a year ago and like it a lot better.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2016, 15:55:49 »
Sounds like I should do a 60/40 split RC/RSCP. I can manage that.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2016, 19:42:02 »
Seems as if most are liking the red sea over rc.  so tells us why?  It is a full $20 more and less salt.  I have been using rc for several years now with pretty good results.  My biggest issue is keeping my mg levels up.
Jeff

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2016, 20:17:40 »
I use reef crystals.  I always get a brown film my Brute mixing barrel. Otherwise it seems ok. I've always wondered if I should just get the regular instant ocean since I dose.  Experiences?

Offline Kenn

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2016, 23:16:13 »
Seems as if most are liking the red sea over rc.  so tells us why?  It is a full $20 more and less salt.  I have been using rc for several years now with pretty good results.  My biggest issue is keeping my mg levels up.
Jeff

I have come to like RSCP over the years mostly due to the size of my tanks and what I keep in them (mostly softies and lps).

RSCP has most of the levels that I need without too much fuss. The only thing I add is a 2 part once or twice a week.

For me it is just more cost effective and easy to maintain.

Which, of course, makes it more enjoyable :)
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2016, 23:29:14 »
I love RSCP salt, I used it for years without dosing and it did a great job keeping my levels up, but I did switch over to RC about 6 mths ago because of the price difference and now I am going to be dosing my new system ( if I ever actually get one setup).

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2016, 23:05:42 »
I use Kent sea salt..  I've never used anything else.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2016, 14:29:44 »
Since we had a mix I went with RSCP (Black 5g Buckets) and RC (Box). It will be in stock Thursday next week. Thanks for the help deciding.