2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Barnicle in coral mouth  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
Barnicle in coral mouth
« on: August 05, 2010, 19:00:06 »
I bought a 3 headed piece of Euphyllia Yaeyamaensis (similar to frogspawn, but not... somewhat rare), one head was looking a little droopy. It has been a couple weeks since I got it and the droopy head is still droopy with its mouth wide open. I looked closer and saw what appears to be barnicle tentacles coming out of the mouth. Is there any way to kill this worm/barnicle without harming the coral. Will a revive dip do the trick?

Offline HUNGER

Re: Barnicle in coral mouth
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2010, 19:30:30 »
never heard of something like that any pics of it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2010, 20:03:46 »
I wish I could get a pic of something that small in my tank, let alone a decent pic of a coral.  point and shoot,       my arse :P

im not sure if it is a barnicle or some kind of filter feeding worm. it has a small clear "net" that it sends out and sweeps back in every few seconds. maybe I should just jab a pin down there and hope for the best.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2010, 21:37:06 »
Happened to me once too. And it didn't make it...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2010, 22:07:44 »
wonder if u could ingeted it with something
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Vinnbelle1

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2010, 10:40:08 »
Those things are annoying.  You would have to get something long and thin, like a nail, and dig down into it.  Depending how deep it goes into the skeleton, you could cut the head off, and go from the underside.  Or you might be able to superglue or aquamend the hole shut.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2010, 17:06:16 »
never thought about cutting the head off
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2010, 20:58:35 »
Im not too sure about pouring super glue down the mouth of the coral. I may just go ahead and jab something down there and try to kill it. Does anyone know if a Revive dip will kill the buggar?

Those things are annoying.  You would have to get something long and thin, like a nail, and dig down into it.  Depending how deep it goes into the skeleton, you could cut the head off, and go from the underside.  Or you might be able to superglue or aquamend the hole shut.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2010, 21:27:44 »
Im not too sure about pouring super glue down the mouth of the coral. I may just go ahead and jab something down there and try to kill it. Does anyone know if a Revive dip will kill the buggar?

It will not, neither does CoralRX. I tryed to pick mine out, and the coral died. YMMV!

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 21:59:11 »
Time to go a'stabbin

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 22:04:40 »
well, I just scrambled the little guy's brains with a sewing pin, and upon closer inspection, it was no longer the coral mouth, just a barnicle/worm hut. I might as well fill it with some super glue too  ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 22:19:07 »
well, I just scrambled the little guy's brains with a sewing pin, and upon closer inspection, it was no longer the coral mouth, just a barnicle/worm hut. I might as well fill it with some super glue too  ;D

You sir, are a brave man :p

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 22:56:04 »
SIZE DOES MATTER