2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bio Pellets  (Read 2507 times)

Offline chromiumlux

Bio Pellets
« on: July 29, 2012, 07:40:22 »
Is anyone here using or has used a Bio Pellet Reactor to help reduce nitrates? If so, what are you using and how well has this method worked compared to carbon dosing with vodka, etc....?
Chromiumlux

Offline joncat24

• Adult
Re: Bio Pellets
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2012, 09:47:52 »
I am using them on my 180. I set it up with them to start. I am using the BRS reactor currently and it works well. I started with a phosban reactor modded to run pellets, but it seemed to clog rather quickly, so I switched reactors. I installed a Octopus reactor for a customer and I like it really well.

I have done two water changes since last Novemder when I set up the tank, and it is awesome...0 phosphates, 0-5 nitrates. I do dose the tank with trace elements from time to time and alk, and Ca.

I dont think I will run a tank without them in the future. Just my personal preference. HTH
John

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2012, 12:52:47 »
I hope to get one of the reef dynamics reactors..... Seem to be really well designed
300g tub o fish

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2012, 13:44:06 »
I tried them with a converted tlf reactor and whatever I tried I couldnt keep them from clumping together.  I went the route of a homemade coil denitrator and a deep sand bucket and am keeping nitrates at 0.
Jeff

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2012, 14:42:09 »
I hope to get one of the reef dynamics reactors..... Seem to be really well designed

Yes, they seem to be the best ones on the market to me. We are thinking of getting one for the shop use.
John

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2012, 14:49:48 »
I am using 'PhosGuard' pellits in a sock lying in sump under return. I have nothing to compare to, But it has worked in bring down phosphates. I am still geting some algae but has slowed down (I think)

I have a 180; am thinking I need a phosban reactoe from BRS; Can you send me details on 1 you have and how long you have had it? Please.  Tnks ...Ray
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2012, 19:37:25 »
I am looking at the Hydra Aquatics reactor. Seems to be well made and it looks like it keeps the pellets from clumping. After researching several and reading about the clumping issues, I am leaning towards this one. Ok, what brand pellets is everyone using? I am looking at Warner Marine's Eco-Bak pellets, but alas, no one in this area stocks them. I have also looked at BRS pellets. Any recommendations on pellets?
Chromiumlux

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2012, 19:53:00 »
Like I said I am using the PhosGuard pellets and they are working for me. They seem to last. I rinse them off every few days  and replace as directed but not using a reactor.
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2012, 15:23:53 »
Ok, What other brands of biopellets are members here running?
Chromiumlux

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2012, 19:21:08 »
I use the TLF bio plastic brand pellets
John

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2012, 17:43:53 »
Brightwell.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 09:51:32 »
I'll be implementing a aquamaxx reactor with their pellets next week.  Hoping all goes well with it.