2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Starter Bio Cultures?  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Starter Bio Cultures?
« on: November 23, 2012, 16:37:12 »
I got some of that starter bacteria, and followed the dosing instructions for normal maintenance to maintain your bacteria in the tank... and 2 days after I had a huge explosion in Cyano Bacteria... Nothing changed inbetween... The tank was running stable for the last 4-5 months with no hitches... I still have slight traces of cyano on the rocks, but nothing new. I have since done 2 water changes and sucked out what I could. Anyone else expeirence this before? I can't say it was 100% the starter culture, but it was the only thing I changed or added about the tank, and the reaction was so severe and quick that it leads me to beleive it could be the culprit.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Starter Bio Cultures?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2012, 16:40:17 »
It should be noted I didn't dose because of high nitrates or anything, I was just mostly curious...
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2012, 19:01:59 »
I'm a bit skeptical of these 'bacteria in a bottle' products, generally- especially ones that haven't been kept refrigerated from source to LFS counter.

My gut guess? They may have contained bacteria at the beginning, but it's most likely just a shot of nitrogen, carbon, and phosphate now that help fuel the natural growth of the bacteria that are already there.

As such, if your biodiversity is low, you could be fueling the wrong kind of bacterial growth.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 13:34:18 »
I use Korralin Zucht's coral snow while dosing my bacteria. It seems to keep the cyano at bay.
Chromiumlux