2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!  (Read 9535 times)

Offline aquavista99

Re: STOP! READ THIS NOW!!!
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2009, 21:42:33 »

Oh, if you're looking for gold, you may have better luck with your toenails.  They contain gold.  :)

I just checked! Just my luck, my toenails only contain traces of iron pyrite, aka, fool's gold   :'(

On a serious note, please let me know if you need access to a vast amount of cycled safe reef water for your pets.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2009, 21:45:59 »
Sorry, thanks Tim, but I'll probably just spend tomorrow afternoon doing water change after water change.  I have no idea what sort of metal it is, how much is in the tank, or if I can even get enough out to fix the problem.  

I'm wondering what sort of metal could cause this problem.  Algae uses iron...corals use potassium, and tons of other stuff...just wondering what an overdose is.

slandis3

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2009, 21:54:31 »
usally metal that dark is used in shipping straps. Known as spring metal. It is very bendable but it would have turned to rust by now in the bottom of the salt bag. Im really suprised that anything you found that was magnetable wasnt  completly rusty. 316 sst is on of the few metals that are "rust proof"  as well as titanium. Even 316 will break down over time. Most of the machines that would be making thisstuff would be using mainly mild steel and sst. Anything that comes in contact with the salt should be sst. Any bearings would be made of or form of steel. most bushings are made from brass of bronze. Sorry for the horrible spelling at rushing trying to type this because im at work.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2009, 22:00:37 »
Hmmm.....

bigfalcon36

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2009, 22:14:34 »
I would still call Red Sea and file a customer complaint.  If something is messed up they'll make it right.  I have worked in manufacturing since I have got out of college and you see stuff like this all the time.  Call and file, I would ask to speak to the highest person up that you can.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2009, 22:41:11 »
I've decided just to send them a follow-up email.  My first email before all this happened was just asking if they'd had any bad batches or had any sort of poor customer feedback about recent salt mixes.  I don't want anything from them...I just don't want someone else in the same boat as me. 

I did a 5g water change on my 15g frag tank system (mostly softies, but a few sps), and the polyps are coming back out on the sps.  Good start. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2009, 06:43:36 »
Wow...  Sorry to hear about all this Nikki!  What salt mix are you using for the water changes now?  I was considering changing to a new salt type.  Now I'm scared... 

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2009, 08:31:48 »
Wow, that sucks, I'm sorry Nikki. Guess I should check my RSCP sometime. I just opened a new bucket last week. I have some water that's been mixing for atleast a week if you need more water for water changes. 18 gal of it is RSCP though, but there is a 32 gal brute down there that's full of IO water, if you want to try something different. I have to work today, but you're more than welcome to come over here and get some water. You know where everything is  ;D .

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2009, 10:41:25 »
I was considering changing to a new salt type.  Now I'm scared... 

I have no plans to change my salt mix unless more hobbyists experience the exact same problem and it can be directly linked to a particular brand and batch of salt mix. If the salt was purchased locally, then this problem should occur more often since a lot of active members of Ohio Reef use Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and purchased the salt from the same vendor during the last power buy.

I am glad to hear Nikki's tank is making some improvements and I am thankful she shared her experiences with us and will follow up with Red Sea to express her concerns as well.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2009, 15:33:13 »
I am sorry this has happened to you Niikki. I made over 700 gallons of water using RSCP from the group buy and from a massive purchase Joe and I did. I have not experienced anything like this. Do you have a pump mixing your new salt water and if so could this be material from the pump? Just a thought. I argee with Slandis that it should have been rusting if it is not ss.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2009, 16:12:05 »
The last batch of saltwater I made was 4 x 5g buckets...all using different pumps.  One bucket was with IO, and 3 were with RSCP.  The IO bucket was clean...the other 3 RSCP buckets had metal in them.  So, it wasn't the pumps unless all three pumps in all three RSCP buckets decided to bite the bullet at the same time. 

slandis3

« Reply #36 on: February 13, 2009, 17:40:34 »
what are you using to remove the salt out of the bag with? Are you sure what ever you used didnt become contaminated and add stuff to the mix?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #37 on: February 13, 2009, 20:22:09 »
I use a glass that stays in the salt mix...and it's not used for anything else.  Regardless, we don't have metal shavings lying around the house either.

Even if I didn't see metal in the salt bucket, changing the water with RSCP did nothing for the tank.  As soon as I switched salts, corals starting looking better.  I doubt that's coincidence.

Charlie

« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2009, 11:08:19 »
I use a glass that stays in the salt mix...and it's not used for anything else.  Regardless, we don't have metal shavings lying around the house either.

Even if I didn't see metal in the salt bucket, changing the water with RSCP did nothing for the tank.  As soon as I switched salts, corals starting looking better.  I doubt that's coincidence.

I would have to agree with that Nikki.  Hopefully you will get a positive response from Red Sea.  Please let me know if there is anything I can do.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2009, 12:41:34 »
Hey Charlie - thanks for the kind words.  Sorry I missed your call, but we're swamped today btw fixing the tank and working on the house. 

Also, HUGE thanks to Joel at Aquarium's Etc., who brought us a ton of pre-mixed saltwater.  Will spent most of yesterday doing water changes on both tanks.  This morning was the biggest improvement.  Everything still looks bad, but almost every coral has polyps starting to extend (except of course my two favorites)!!!  There's a ton of tissue damage, but as long as nothing else happens, my spirits are lifted a bit.  I'll post pictures tomorrow probably (and I probably won't get the photo contest voting thread up until tomorrow either...sorry.)

Thanks everyone.  Stuff like this is what really makes me appreciate this club & our sponsors.  This isn't the first time something like this has happened to me or to someone else.  Thanks to everyone that has offered us saltwater or corals to help (looks like I'll only lose a couple, if any.)  :)

Nikki 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2009, 07:03:16 »
No problem on the salt water, I hope is gets things straightened out for you.

Give us an update soon on your tanks status.

Joel

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2009, 08:59:27 »
I just bought 2 buckets of this salt.  I made up my first 20 gallon water change last night.  After it had settled out after mixing it up I could see shinny flecks in the bottem of the tub.  Now I am alittle apprehensive to use this salt.  I just decided to switch over from reef crystals to try this brand to see if it would make any difference in my tank.
Jeff

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:42 »
I have used this salt for over a year, since before Joe and I went up to the Macna Conference in Pittsburg. I have not had any problems what so ever. This is not to say that there is not a real problem. I do not intend to switch, I love this salt.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #43 on: February 15, 2009, 10:27:47 »
The point of this post was not to tell anyone to switch salts or to give RSCP a bad name.  The point of this post was for everyone to check their salts so they don't end up in the same predicament as us.  I've used this salt a long time with great results...but this time, not so much.  I am definitely going to think about how we can prevent this from happening again on  the next tank.

jjoos99 - I did see a bunch of "shiny" stuff that looked like mica in the bottom as well.  If that's what it is, I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #44 on: February 15, 2009, 21:20:32 »
Just wondering what the ph was on the make-up water?  I have never checked mine before but decided to check it tonight.  I just made this batch up yesterday and tonight the ph tested at 7.08 on the water.  I have always read to match ph's for water changes.  How do you raise this and should the water test this low?
Jeff

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #45 on: February 15, 2009, 22:10:28 »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the pH can vary by many different things, including oxygenation.  You may have not aerated the water long enough.  I don't test every batch of saltwater I make, but I usually get 8.0 - 8.2. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2009, 06:54:45 »
The things I would do is test the ph of the water coming out of your R/O to see if it neutral, if it is excessively acid for some reason, that would bring down your ph. If it is neutral, aggressively aireate your salt water vat to drive out excess co2 for a few hours. If that doesn't bring it up then I would be cautious about using that saltwater. It should be about 8.2-8.3.

slandis3

« Reply #47 on: February 19, 2009, 20:49:32 »
So how about an update. Hows the tank doing now?

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #48 on: February 19, 2009, 20:55:04 »
It has been kind of anticlimactic.  The tank was crashing.  Then doing a little better.  Then nothing.  What happened with Red Sea?  Can we get some pics.  I think it would be good to see some bad pics.  We all only post the good.  It might give us clues on things to look for when bad things start to happen.
Dayton,Ohio

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #49 on: February 19, 2009, 22:20:22 »
Sorry, but when things are this bad...saving the tank takes the majority of my time, not posting updates.

I contacted Red Sea, with no answer.  Yup, anticlimatic there.  A few corals have the start of polyps out, but whether they're all going to make it, I don't know.  My Lighthouse Acropora will be a gonner by this weekend.  I've been doing a 15g "dialysis" water change every other day.  The crashing process has stopped, but things aren't really improving either.  Sorry, just very anti-climatic.

I have pictures, but...I don't want to jinx myself by saying they're the worst.  I'll get them posted when I have a chance.

Sorry, but can ya blame me for not wanting to read this thread?  I'm doing everything I can...but I'm just watching 2 years of hard work die in front of me.