2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Brightwell NeoMarine salt  (Read 7830 times)

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
Brightwell NeoMarine salt
« on: September 07, 2009, 08:18:05 »
Well I got my first bucket of Brightwells salt this weekend Im gonna start changing my tank over to this salt I will report on how it mixes up and how my tank responds to this stuff since it seems no one else is using this stuff yet. ;D
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: Brightwell NeoMarine salt
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2009, 10:30:48 »
Where can we get it from and whats the price on a bucket?

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2009, 16:20:48 »
Just taggin along
Chromiumlux

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2009, 17:19:57 »
i ordered my bucket from premium aquatics at 54 dollars a bucket i think since no one wanted to do Joels group buy on it, but I think he is still working on being able to get it with out having to buy a skid of it. I paid 16 bucks for shipping also but I have a friend at school that is from indy and said they could get it for me when they go back home next time.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2009, 12:22:57 »
We'll be awaiting an update on that.  :D      Always looking for a better product. I just tried the kent and was disappointed with the way it desolved. It didn't desolve as clear oreasy/fast as RSCP or marineland SeaChem.
Those are the only ones I've used since doing the reef. I used only IO when we did Fish only.
So let us know! :laugh:
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2009, 12:38:11 »
We'll be awaiting an update on that.  :D      Always looking for a better product. I just tried the kent and was disappointed with the way it desolved. It didn't desolve as clear oreasy/fast as RSCP or marineland SeaChem.
Those are the only ones I've used since doing the reef. I used only IO when we did Fish only.
So let us know! :laugh:

You want to sell that bucket of Kent?

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2009, 13:24:17 »
No can do. I mixed it, well about half of it. But I'll see when I get a new bucket. I wont get another bucket of kent. I thought kent was a preferred salt. And I was told it desolved good. But same pump and process was used as always and I had to keep stirring with a large spoon. Where as with RSCP and SeaChem the pump did the stirring and desolve was clear. 

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009, 13:49:17 »
No can do. I mixed it, well about half of it. But I'll see when I get a new bucket. I wont get another bucket of kent. I thought kent was a preferred salt. And I was told it desolved good. But same pump and process was used as always and I had to keep stirring with a large spoon. Where as with RSCP and SeaChem the pump did the stirring and desolve was clear. 

I have a 400GPH pump in my container, and it mixes it for me. Weird.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2009, 14:03:33 »
Do you have to stir it and does it clear up in mixing container.

The pump and placement in container, and temperature and amount of salt are the same as always but the kent was not as easy as RSCP or the SeaChem. But I am waiting to see the effects on the livestock before I can rate it in that category.  ::)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2009, 14:10:57 »
I don't stir it at all. I slowly pour it in near the pump. Are you just dumping it in?

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2009, 17:32:58 »
Usually I put like 30g of water and slowly pour the salt in to about 10-11 cups (2 cp container) that we use for the salt.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2009, 19:00:10 »
I have a Rio Hyper flow in a 30 gallon Brute. I mix on average 20g. I've never had a problem with Kent salt mixing up consistantly. Never had to spoon mix.Temp is always 80 degrees when I mix. Hey, If Techguy doesn't buy that salt, I will.
Chromiumlux

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2009, 19:05:41 »
Kent salt is for the most part the same as Instant Ocean for those of you who didnt know.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2009, 19:28:15 »
sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2009, 20:34:31 »
Kent salt is for the most part the same as Instant Ocean for those of you who didnt know.

Sigh.

Read the comparisons posted on this forum. They are not the same Salts.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2009, 20:36:15 »
sssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ;D

And for the love of god, no more salt arguments. This thread is about Brightwell Salt.

slandis3

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2009, 20:38:30 »
Sigh.

Read the comparisons posted on this forum. They are not the same Salts.

You need to reread what he said, They are FOR THE MOST PART the same he didnt say they were the same, and he is right. The base compounds are the same Kent just adds different additives.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2009, 20:41:17 »
And for the love of god, no more salt arguments. This thread is about Brightwell Salt.
go outside of this forum to the mfgS web site and you might see the facts, the are the exact same base salt, without the add's that they put in for kent, cal etc. :drink

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2009, 22:05:08 »
I had no idea. THANKS for broadening my knowledge base. 
Have plenty of room for more ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2009, 22:17:29 »
I had no idea. THANKS for broadening my knowledge base. 
Have plenty of room for more ;D

Oh hes right.

But the issue is dosing. Do you want to dose? Are you confident enough in yourself to accurately measure, and dose everything? Magnesium? Alk? Calcium? Thats the major difference. We can argue until we are all blue in the face. IO is fine for most, its fine for those who want a great tank and don't mind dosing. But I want you to look at one VERY important fact. Who doses here, and who has had a tank CRASH. Not a little "oops", but a full on tank crash. Do a search. Its those who dose, and dose incorrectly, maintaining that perfect PH/Calcium/Alk/Mag that have crashes. They see incredible growth, until it blows up on them.

I prefer to do water changes with a quality salt, and not tinker with everything daily. As they said before, if its not broke don't fix it. But my SPS seem to like that fact that I do a simple weekly water change, and I don't have swings in my levels, because I don't dose. I add calcium on Wednesdays, and water changes on Saturdays. If I skip a water change, I add Iodide, and strontium. Never have I had an issue. I lose one SPS coral, due to bad flow and placement. But not water quality.

But to each his own.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2009, 06:48:10 »
Experienced persons don't have problems with dosing trace elements.

It is a very common practice to add supplements to reef type aquariums to maintain proper water parameters regardless of what brand of salt is being used. Because you don't understand how it is done does not mean it should not be done.

Explain to me (and every one else) how someone with so little experience in this hobby is such an authority on how it should be done.

Joel

« Last Edit: September 09, 2009, 06:51:04 by slandis3 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2009, 07:48:28 »
Techguy I think you will find that 90% of the time the problems with those of us that have had issues with our tanks is from levels getting to low. Not to high. I could not go two days with out dosing or it would deplete Alkalinity levels to an unsafe amount and three days without  calcium. I think you will find that for the most part if not all cases those that dose have been very successful which is why they have to dose 2 part or add a calcium reactor. If you are successful and your corals grow to a mature size you will then understand and have a different viewpoint.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2009, 09:21:14 »
Well I got my first bucket of Brightwells salt this weekend Im gonna start changing my tank over to this salt I will report on how it mixes up and how my tank responds to this stuff since it seems no one else is using this stuff yet. ;D
Still looking forward to the performance report ;D ;D ;D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2009, 10:07:09 »
If you wanted a quality salt, Kent is on the same level as instant  ocean if you want to move up to a high end salt that has better levels you would have to get something like brightwell, tropic marin, etc. not kent. Not saying kent is a bad brand by any means its just not what I think would be considered a premium salt blend

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2009, 11:20:38 »
If you wanted a quality salt, Kent is on the same level as instant  ocean if you want to move up to a high end salt that has better levels you would have to get something like brightwell, tropic marin, etc. not kent. Not saying kent is a bad brand by any means its just not what I think would be considered a premium salt blend
Not wanting to Hyjack; I will start a new thread. :D called 'premium salts'