2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Wrasse in distress, or just being weird?  (Read 2365 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Wrasse in distress, or just being weird?
« on: November 08, 2010, 08:40:32 »
My wife observed the wrasse buried in the sand tail first and "standing" erect, head pointed towards the top of the tank.  She shined the flashlight on him and he took off, settling down on the live rock higher in the tank.  He's swimming around, but she thinks he's not acting right.  Thoughts?  BTW, all other livestock seems ok.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
Re: Wrasse in distress, or just being weird?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2010, 09:11:32 »
Some Wrasses sleep in the sand, I'd say when she shined the light on it she just startled it.  Doubt anything is wrong.

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2010, 09:39:03 »
I don't have a wrasse, but yes i have read that too, everything i have read says that its good to have sand beds for wrasses because they like to bury themselves in the sand.  It sounds kind of weird the way yours did it though.
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2010, 15:06:55 »
Some Wrasses sleep in the sand, I'd say when she shined the light on it she just startled it.  Doubt anything is wrong.
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline dlcrawle

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 03:52:52 »
hopefully this is what mine is doing I havent seen him much and I look for him constantly. It is a penstripe wrasse, pretty fish I wish I could see more of.