2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ich?  (Read 1243 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Ich?
« on: February 07, 2021, 15:33:56 »
I went to Florida last Tuesday, when I left that morning my YT was perfectly healthy.

When I returned home Wednesday evening she was covered in a fuzzy white stuff with white spots. Looked like ich to me. She was eating and swimming fine. I’ve attached a photo below, but it was after the whites went off.

Woke up Thursday morning and everything is completely gone and she looks great.

She is still looking good today. None of the other fish have shown any signs.

I ordered and have a bottle of Polyp Labs Medic. Should I assume I have ich and go ahead and dose it or wait to see if the spots return?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Ich?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2021, 20:43:24 »
If this is a fish only tank I would treat the tank asap.  The ich will fall off the fish reproduce in the rock or sand and probably come right back onto the fish.  Tangs are the worst.  Any stress will open up a fish to get it. Once it is in a tank it is always be in the tank unless treated or all the fish are removed for a period of 76 days.  Healthy fish can mostly fend it off if it is in the tank but any stress can wipe out an entire tank.  15 years ago I was working on my tank and had the heater unplugged.  Forgot to plug it back in and the tank temp dropped to 72deg.  Within a day ich broke out on the fish and within a week everything was dead.  Hard lesson learned.
Jeff

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
Re: Ich?
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2021, 20:55:31 »
Not fish only, but the Polyp Labs Medic is supposed to be reef safe. My son used it in his tank and so far no signs of it returning. I’m going to go ahead and try the Medic and hope for the best.