2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New to coral  (Read 2036 times)

Offline wgerstner

• Egg
New to coral
« on: June 18, 2014, 08:40:59 »
I am new to coral and a little nervous about taking care of them. I just bought a bunch of different coral from a guy tearing down his tank. I don't know the names of the coral, but I have always loved the way they bring your tank together. I know that I bought a lot of soft coral, and the guy said I don't feed them that they get what they need from the lights. Is this true? Any help would be appreciated on how to take care of them. I have a 180g with 20g sump that I have used as a fish only tank for about 3 years (though it looks about empty because I only have a picasso trigger, lemon peel angel, and a snowflake eel and red mangroves). I recently obtained a reef breeder LED light, and have a 48" T5HO with 2 atinic and 2 white.

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: New to coral
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 09:06:15 »
wgerstner,
Sorry, but your corals will not be safe with the trigger. 
Kelly

Offline wgerstner

• Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 09:50:22 »
I will get rid of the trigger, but what about the coral? Also what type of fish do you recommend.

Offline kellyj

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 10:20:07 »
wgerstner,
There are many websites that list whether fish are reef compatible or not.  I use liveaquaria.com and bluezooaquatics.com.  As far as corals care, could you post pictures for identification?  It would be difficult to recommend care without knowing what you have.
Kelly

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 16:00:00 »
Hello wgerstner! Welcome :)

I would also keep an eye on your angel. they have been known to "pick" at your corals. I would suggest a clown fish of some kind. Easy to take care of and wont mess with your corals. your eel may become a problem when you add other fish, but I hope someone else will give you more info on that. I have never kept an eel, so all I know is by word of mouth.

I agree with kellyj... Post some pics so we can take a look at your setup :)

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline TroyReeF

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 16:17:24 »
WELCOME!!!!

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 21:22:23 »
Eels will eat small fish and crustaceans, provided they can catch them. Morays have very poor eyesight but they're sense of smell is off the charts. They, as far as I know, won't mess with corals.

Welcome to W.O.R.C.!
Brent McCloskey

Offline 513TANGS

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2014, 21:38:44 »
My snowflake moray eel has eaten 3 small chromosome and a diamond watchman goby.
And he harasses my yellow tail damsel
He about a foot long